How do you feel about this?

1 to 20 of 59 messages
06/11/2013 at 18:35

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-behind-boston-marathon-bombing-costume-blasts-critics-article-1.1508156

As a society of runners, some of whom may have been there at the time, or know someone who was, I wondered how this would be viewed. 

Personally I can't comprehend how she thought this would be acceptable. 

06/11/2013 at 18:54
You really have to question the sanity of someone who thinks its acceptable to dress like that for Halloween!
06/11/2013 at 19:26
Not half as good as the "Twin Towers" costumes that made all the headlines
06/11/2013 at 20:24

Some people are thick and crass. And always have been - only now social media gives them visibility they don't deserve.

06/11/2013 at 22:30

Young people don't always make smart choices. E.g. posting nude pictures of yourself on the interwebs or getting a pink cat tattoo on your arse.

I think it was a bit tasteless, but I'm not personally offended.

If it's still too soon for a Twin Towers outfit, how much time should you leave? Thinking of going as the Hindenburg next year...

cougie    pirate
06/11/2013 at 22:42
Silly girl.

Tom - you can do the Titanic stuff now - so there must be a century cut off or something ?
07/11/2013 at 05:57

Cougie, that struck a memory. When talking about Blackadder4 didn't one of the writers say something along those lines in that once everyone involved in an event that has personal tragedy has died the majority of people are more inclined to accept humour in various forms of that event, excepting maybe the direct next generation of those involved.

Think he may have said it shorter and wittier. It's why he's a successful writer and I'm not.

07/11/2013 at 06:21

Humour is important in geting on with life, and I think it's unfair to slate young people who may have made poor choices but meant no harm. Save the anger and disgust for those that do the harm.

07/11/2013 at 08:43

Far too close. It's just about having a bit of sympathy for those affected, like the parents of that kid who died.

We have all told sick jokes about disasters between mates etc, but its slightly different to dressing up in a costume. The woman just needed to step back and have a sensible think for a couple of minutes about whether it was acceptable or not.

07/11/2013 at 08:48

She clearly didn't think it through. On top of that, its on her 'facebook record' for the rest of her life.

07/11/2013 at 09:58

She was silly, but the reaction seems to be totally OTT!

07/11/2013 at 10:00
Wilkie wrote (see)

She was silly, but the reaction seems to be totally OTT!

Agree, a daft thing to do, I'm more offended by death threats and threats of rape

07/11/2013 at 10:08
Yes the reactions are totally over the top.
But you have to accept that doing something that distasteful and putting it online is going to bring a lot of attention from the wrong sort of people.
07/11/2013 at 10:11

It doesn't justify the reaction, people seem more tolerant of the reaction than the actual deed. Twisted logic

07/11/2013 at 10:33

People way overreact to 'the reaction' anyway online.

Lots of people talk cr.p on the internet, the same way as they do down the pub.

Down the pub, you say to your mates 'I could kill those baggage handlers at Heathrow who lost my bags' ........ everyone laughs nothing happens.

On the internet you write 'I could kill those baggage handlers at Heathrow who lost my bags' ....... you get the police around.

So actually I dont blame the reactions ....... I blame the delicate flowers who react to the reactions instead of just going 'Its the internet ...... lets just get on with it.'

07/11/2013 at 10:35

You're part of the problem then if only you realised

07/11/2013 at 10:39

I think when people start reacting to the reaction about the reaction to the the original transgression I think it's time to admit the plot has been lost and retire gracefully.

07/11/2013 at 10:43
Runnin man wrote (see)

You're part of the problem then if only you realised

Not really, in the early days of the internet you could just write cr.p and that would be fine.

Now you get all your delicate flowers using the internet and expecting it to conform to their expectations.

My view ...... if you cant handle it, go to Mumsnet where you can all sit around singing Kumbuyah and discussing how men are the cause of all the worlds problems and leave the rest of the internet for real people who dont treat everything seriously.

07/11/2013 at 10:51

You misjudge - regardless of writing crap you're part of the problem with views like you show

07/11/2013 at 10:53

Unfortunately with a democracy you are going to get a wide variety of views. Thats not to say your views are right and mine are wrong. 

1 to 20 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.