how do you handle dodgy phonecalls

had the computer error message one today

1 to 20 of 36 messages
seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 15:11

had the phonecall today regarding the problem with the computer........and that they can fix the error etc with our help............

I just let him ramble on and on and then told him I had no computer........he was a bit disbelievuing and told me i should have said earlier.....

I said he didn't ask and that he had told me that I had a problem with it not me....he then hung up

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 15:12

also just had one from a research company asking for one of my sons...............I told him that he was a minor and what kind of man phones underage boys they have never met.....

How do you get rid of the idiots.......

my number is on the lists for not recieving calls but they seem to be able to get around that nowadays

23/11/2012 at 15:14

Back in the day when salesmen were constantly harrassing me I would tell them I was busy and I would ring them back later. They gave me the office number to ring but I asked them for their home number only to be told "you cant have my home number, I dont want people ringing me at home all the time". "Exactly, now you know how I feel" I said "now feck off". It seemed to work quite nicely that one.

M...eldy    pirate
23/11/2012 at 15:24

Seren - this is the website that you should use to report

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

gingerfurball    pirate
23/11/2012 at 15:36

We get them at work...I just hang up.*

We don't get them at home cos we unplugged the phone!  If anyone important wants us they can phone one of our mobiles.

*once someone phoned back to say that it was rude..I told them they were rude for making unsolicited phone calls...and put the phone down on them.

23/11/2012 at 15:44

I used to get the occasional unwanted call, best thing is to wait for them to finish their initial spiel and then hang up without saying anything.

Other options are get caller ID (you have to pay a monthly charge, but it's fairly cheap) or get an answering machine and screen your calls.

23/11/2012 at 16:06

We have caller ID on our phone. If we don't recognise the number we just let it ring.

If it really is someone who needs to talk to you they'll leave a message.

Had to laugh last weekend though, got home to find a message from my MIL saying "pick up one of you!" It was Saturday lunchtime and it hadn't occurred to her that we might actually be out.  

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 16:06
23/11/2012 at 17:08

we get the same PPi company phoning us several times at the same time of day for about a week, then they have a break. I never swear at them and try to remain polite but firm in saying no, but some days, if its been a bad day at work they act as a form of therapy releasing the frustration of the day. That normally stops the calls.

23/11/2012 at 17:09

someone with quite a strong Indian accent phoned me up. I was struggling to understand him yet he asked me if I speak English. Cheeky barsteward.

23/11/2012 at 17:15

My elderly mother was getting bothered by calls and asked me if I had any ideas.

Simple. Say nothing at all. Just give them a blast of total silence.

I watched her in action one day. Took the call and was amused to see her pulling faces and nodding, all silent.

She then looked across and declared that, 'they've hung up'.

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 17:19

it annoys me that the phone calls wake me up somedays during my nap........

the PPI annoys me..do they really think i'm the type of idiot that bought the insurance...i read the things first.

23/11/2012 at 17:27

i have tried the "hang on a second while i fetch a pen.." approach many times and just left left the phone till they hang up.

23/11/2012 at 17:31
seren nos wrote (see)

do they really think i'm the type of idiot that bought the insurance

How do they know what type of idiot you are before they speak to you?

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 17:34

so why assume that a total stranger is an idiot......

23/11/2012 at 18:25
If there was an actual person on the other end I could have lots of fun with them but most of the time it's just an automated message which I have no idea how to get rid off. I have caller Id and write down the numbers who call me and research them on the net. All are about PPI and they really annoy me as I don't have any PPI and if I did, I would be more than able to claim it back myself.
23/11/2012 at 19:29

Oh - so that call I got from that nice young man with a strong Indian accent saying he was from the Government  and that as a pensioner I was entitled to a complementary payment on provision of my bank details might have been a hoax ?  Never mind I've had an e mail telling me I've won £9 million on the lottery if I send my bank details and pay a small administrative fee.-

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 19:35

i don't mind the emails.it the phone calls waiting my dreams up..............their records show..ok.of course they do.if the first senrtence is alie why on earth would they be truthful on the rest....they are miselling more than the original banks etc..............]

and why do their records show that i haven't taken part in the governments insulations scheme as i haven't had my cavity walls filled....................i live in a stone house..what kind of cavities do they think they can find

23/11/2012 at 20:45

I wish I was as creative as this guy, when it comes to telesales 

23/11/2012 at 20:49

Damn, you got there before me. I was going to mention the murder scenario. You could try answering the last but one question they ask, a la The Two Ronnies Mastermind sketch.

23/11/2012 at 21:05
I love that guy eyegor!

IT depends on if I'm busy or not. My dad argues with them but my mum holds a long conversation with them until they get bored. Her record is 20 minutes so far. They hung up after she told them about her shopping list...
1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.