How far away do you live now from

1 to 20 of 22 messages
01/06/2012 at 14:57

About ~180 miles from where I was born. 

~150 miles from my family

About ~180 miles 

I've relocated Oop North because of a man

01/06/2012 at 15:01

I'm about 50 miles from where I was born (Gravesend), but I only lived there until I was 5 so I have no attachment to it and don't regard it as home. Real home where my family are is 170 miles (North Shropshire), but there's only my mother left now - my sister lives in Japan! Why am I living here now (Windsor)? When I met my now wife I'd been working away from home in and around London for 7 of the previous 10 years, so when she decided to move to the UK it didn't make any sense for her to live in Shropshire when I was actually seldom there, so I sold up and we set up home down here.

Edited: 01/06/2012 at 15:02
01/06/2012 at 15:01

I like cake

01/06/2012 at 15:51

I was born in Essex (and proud of it!) and relocated for university, which at the time was about 4 hours drive away but the roads have improved since then.  I chose that uni as it was too far for me to travel back to my parents every weekend and I needed to escape them.

Then I met Hubby and relocated to this part of the country for his work.  I'm still about 3.5 hours away from my family.

Now I am looking to relocate again, but have no idea where I will be going.

01/06/2012 at 16:03

About 3 miles from where I was born.

There because of family, who are all around that location, and work.

Have also lived two years on nearly the other side of the world, Oz, and in a few other places thousands of miles away.  Spent many consecutive years away from home, but two different jobs have brought me back, and happily.

01/06/2012 at 16:17

I live about 60 miles from where I was born and brought up, where my mother still lives.

Close enough to visit when I want to, but far enough to prevent 'popping in'.

I moved here (Essex) when I first got married - we could buy a house here for a reasonable amount of money.  I've now lived here for twenty seven years, but I'm on my third home here, and looking to move again this year.

01/06/2012 at 16:21

I guess about 100 odd miles from where I was born (Leicester), and nearest family are 30 miles away in Lancashire (the rest being in the Lakes, Birmingham and London). Furthest away I've lived is France and I would emigrate like a shot, given the chance, but husband is a Shropshire Mon, born and bred and all his family are still there, so I think I know where our next move will be to...

01/06/2012 at 16:32
kittenkat wrote (see)
  • Where you were born? 240 miles
  • Your family? which members - 240 from fa. less from sisters
  • the furthest place you have lived? 240 miles - see above

Also, why are you living where you are now? Because it's cheap.

You have to becuaes of your job, you chose to because you like that part of the country? Family?

I live in East Sussex. Apart from being born in Devon I have lived in Sussex (East and West) all my life. I do like the SE but would choose to live in a different part of the SE if I could afford to. This place is pretty grim.

Ultra AJH    pirate
01/06/2012 at 16:49

I was born in Islington so I am very close to it just now.

I was brought up (4-14) in Newton Abbott in Devon.

My family are my sister in York and my brother (probably) about 5 miles away from where I now live in Essex. I've been in Essex since 14 so it is where I have been longest.

Living in Essex is most convenient for my job as the number of academic institutions is so high. I would move away but only for a permanent job I really wanted.

01/06/2012 at 16:52

1000 miles. Not too far and not too close at the same time, you'll get there in 24h and far enough for the family not to interfere.

01/06/2012 at 16:58

I live 125 miles from where I was born (Nottingham)

Furthest place I lived from where I was born was Edinburgh. Dragged back down south by my employer.

Now live in a place which is excellent for trains into London. No longer work in London so have no reason to live here (not even to use one of the excellent trains into London). Why am I here? Feeling a bit sad now.

01/06/2012 at 16:58

I'm 180 miles from where I was born and brought up.

I also relocated (down South) because of a man

01/06/2012 at 17:07
  • Where you were born  - 250 miles
  • Your family - 25 miles
  • the furthest place you have lived - Weymouth for 9 years (in you discount where I was born)

I was born in Wrexham but moved to Dorset when I was 2. Although it was never planned I've just never really moved away. I always manged to find a job that was local and have been in the bright lights of Bournemouth for the last 7 years.

01/06/2012 at 17:54
  • Where you were born  - 220 miles
  • Your family - mum still up north - no brothers or sisters.  Lots of cousins in Australia, in fact a large chunk of my family there and some other family in Holland as my uncle met a Dutch lady during the war and settled there.  Not anyone left in my hometown except my mum
  • the furthest place you have lived - lived in Oz for a year
  • Came down south to and stayed with a friend as I'd lost my job up north.  Then met OH just as I was contemplating leaving as I hated it down here.  Been in Surrey for over 20 years.  Still doesn't feel like home after all this time - every time I go back up north I feel like I've gone home but my children are southerners so I reckon I'm here for a good while yet !!

01/06/2012 at 20:39
  • Where you were born

Surrey. Roughly 380km from where i'm living

• Your family

Some are in Surrey, Hampshire and Yorkshire. Others are spread across the globe (Ireland/Oz etc). My mum and dad are still in Surrey in the same house that I grew up in. I grew up in Surrey (near Weybridge) and went to university in Egham - so not too far from home.

• the furthest place you have lived

Germany.

Also, why are you living where you are now? You have to becuaes of your job, you chose to because you like that part of the country? Family?

Phew.... good question I'm living in Belgium and not really by choice! It's the same story as many on here: met a man, moved there, stayed there. If I had my way i'd still be in Germany... although I admit I like being "only" 5 hours from my parents (instead of 10).

For some reason - living in Germany just "suited" me and where I was the most happiest. Don't get me wrong - I love my husband and made the active decision to move here but it's just a place to live - I don't love the area like I did in Germany. Another reason is that my husband's very much the homebird and wouldnt move too far from his family (we live 5 minutes from his sister, 20 minutes from his grandparents etc).

I'm also grateful for my job - as it means that I get to travel A LOT and most of it back to Germany (Koeln/Frankfurt etc), so i'm not really "missing" out.

01/06/2012 at 20:56
It doesn't matter where I'm living. I'm living with the person I want to live with
01/06/2012 at 20:59

Currently 400km, furthest was 5500 km.

Always been for a job.

02/06/2012 at 09:44

Born in Kent so approx 300 miles from my birthplace as I now live in Harrogate.

My parents are still in Kent just in a different village and almost on the kent/east sussex border. My sister lives in London, 1 brother is in Preston at uni, the other brother is in Canterbury (also for uni). Family other than that...paternal grandmother is in Nottingham and no other family on that side.

Maternal grandmother is in Sweden, maternal grandfather is in France with the second wife (who has never been called grandma), cousins (only 2nd cousins) in France and Sweden. Half aunts in Scotland, Rugby and Paris. We don't see them much

Furthest I've lived from home was possibly Plymouth for uni or where I am now...and given my job situation, I'm giving serious thought to relocating back to Plymouth. Feel more at home here than anywhere.

gingerfurball    pirate
02/06/2012 at 10:03

I currently live 1 mile from the house I grew up in.

My parents live 100m away from us (it works just fine - we see each other when we need to and are not in each others pockets at all)

I've never lived anywhere else than my home town, I even went to Uni here.

02/06/2012 at 12:45

I'm about 30 miles from where I grew up & where my mum still lives.  I came to Uni here and I've never moved away as the job market is good.  I've made escape bids a couple of times and I do spend a lot of time in Zomerzet these days.  No plans to move there though ... yet.

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.