How fast do you run?

101 to 106 of 106 messages
11/10/2002 at 15:12
Sorry , to carry on from before, I therefore sometimes 'use' 10ks as pace races and try to maintain around 6m45 miling- usually jogging for 5-10 minutes beforehand to warm up, rather than wasting the early part of the 10k event itself.

Good to exchange ideas tho'
11/10/2002 at 15:35
Dustin, would agree with you on the relative importance of 10km races. My 10km race pace never comes into the equation as it is the lowest of priorities - it's consistent speed at 10 miles and upwards I am looking for and arrange all my training to achieve that goal. If my 10km pace improves as well it's nice, but it's not important.
11/10/2002 at 16:15
PB - I guess whether it's good or not depends on whether you feel good and whether you're happy with your running! If so I'd say don't change it :-) You can't be doing that bad if you've kept it up for 10 years.....

Me, I only started running at different paces when I started the RW training schedule for the autumn HMs - I did Windsor on 29 Sep, and as it was my first HM I wanted to make sure I got round OK. Before that I used to run for 40-45 minutes, at whatever pace felt comfortable depending on weather, mood and tiredness....but I found that following the training schedule really helped my running, so I'm going to keep trying to include a speedwork session every week at least.
11/10/2002 at 17:38
I tried the longer speedwork today and whilst it'll take a bit of getting used to I found it much less 'interrupted' than running for say 400m, which I've done in the past. I was surprised that I didn't tire as quickly as I thought I would - I was doing about a 7 min mile - and felt energised at the end of it, ready for a dismally dull afternoon!!
11/10/2002 at 19:07
I did the recent Robin Hood Marathon and despite having good times for half marathons (1h 30ish)and every other distance, including a usual 5:40 to 6:30 for race miling, I did the last 6 miles of the 'big one' in about 90 mins! Yes, I was dying, and couldn't even attempt a fast walk!
Do more speedwork with longer runs at a fast tempo, and your race/mile times will increase.
14/10/2002 at 10:00
I know that feeling well. The main reason I started extended speedwork was because I was fed up of just hanging on over the last 6 miles. Even if the final time is good, really suffering over the last few miles still detracts from the overall enjoyment of the race. I find it far more satisfying to be able to be to push hard near the end and attack the course rather than merely surviving it. It's easy to think that "negative split" Marathons are the preserve of the elite, but it is something anyone can benefit from, and it is something anyone can do if they're prepared to put in the work beforehand. On the day, the hard work is definitely worth it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 106 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.