How fit are your family?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
14/05/2013 at 14:13
Wilkie wrote (see)

I used to swim and play hockey a bit when I was at middle school, but with more enthusiasm than skill.

I stopped doing sports at high school (about 13), and did nothing much until my late thirties, when I started running (which I had hated at school).  Again, with more enthusiasm than skill/speed.

Last year I started cycling too - for the first time ever.

None of my family do any sport, but they're pretty active.  My sister and BIL go walking.  

My mum is nearly 90, but is more active than some people a quarter her age.  She walks, or gets the bus to go shopping, visit people, etc.

You mean you started learning to cycle? I'm so rubbish on bike I'm too self-conscious to go out and try.. 

14/05/2013 at 14:27

No, I did learn to ride a bike when I was a kid, but I'd never done anything more than riding up and down the road on my little red bike!

I did get a mountain bike a bit later in life (about 15 years ago), but it was almost never used.

Now I have a REAL bike, with gears and everything!    It took quite a bit of getting used to, especially the pedal/cleat thing - I fell over a few times   I practiced on cycle paths for a long while before I went on the road.

Goji, you can get cycling lessons - google as see what you find.

14/05/2013 at 14:36

My mum does swimming and walking, she looks to be in good shape.

My dad cycles, he's overweight probably not far off obese. He played rugby to a high standard at school.

My older brother runs and plays squash, although he hasn't done much of either since his daughter was born 2 months ago. He's a little overweight but otherwise in pretty good shape, my 5k PB is about 5 minutes quicker than his.

My twin brother plays 5-aside football sometimes and does a fair amount of heavy gardening / light farming. In reasonable shape, but under a lot of stress.

14/05/2013 at 14:39
Tom77 wrote (see)

My dad cycles, he's overweight probably not far off obese. He played rugby to a high standard at school.

this is becoming a recurring theme on this thread.

14/05/2013 at 16:05

I come from a family that never exercised/did sport and my wife is the same. I played badminton once a week when I was 17/18 but only because it involved going to the pub afterwards. For the next 15 years I did nothing and then started badminton again, then mountain biking a couple of a times a week, then started running a couple of years ago. My kids then started coming to parkrun with me and from this joined an athletics club. My wife then did a 'learn to run' course of some sort, then started doing parkrun with the rest of us and is now training as a coach at our athletics club.  My daughter has just spent Sat and Sun at two athletic meets.  Whilst I doubt either of the kids will ever be at the pointy end I'm just pleased that they are active all the time, swimming, training a couple of times a week, parkrun, athletics competitions, hiking, camping etc etc. when I look back at the lack of any exercise that both my wife and I grew up with I think we're very lucky. 

14/05/2013 at 16:17

I run 

My wife runs

My daughter is black belt  Karate and runs

My son teaches MMA, BJJ, Boxed for his University and is built like a brick shit house...he runs too

K80
14/05/2013 at 16:36

I've always "done" something. Ice skating, horse riding, cycling, hockey, rounders and netball when i was a kid.

Mountain biking, walking, gym and various fashionable aerobics classes as an adult.

Now running, cycling and plucking up the courage to get a cozzie on and try Tri.

My Father's dead - heart attack @ 40 (good riddance)

My mother's a size 22, no idea of weight. Her idea of exercise is her choppers.

My sister is size 12 but HATES any form of exercise. Lives of nervous energy.

My husband, currently 20ish stone, lost 2 stone in the last 6 weeks and says he's going to carry on. Doesn't exercise, he takes the dog for a walk in the car.

My daughter is 28 a nurse and workaholic come binge drinker on her few days off. Won't walk, bike, swim... anything really. She gets a taxi everywhere.

My son, 16 tomorrow 5ft 11in, bed potato.

My niece is 7 years old and does horse riding, swimming, ice skating. It's been said disdainfully that she takes after me.

14/05/2013 at 18:05
K80 wrote (see)

I've always "done" something. Ice skating, horse riding, cycling, hockey, rounders and netball when i was a kid.

Mountain biking, walking, gym and various fashionable aerobics classes as an adult.

Now running, cycling and plucking up the courage to get a cozzie on and try Tri.

My Father's dead - heart attack @ 40 (good riddance)

My mother's a size 22, no idea of weight. Her idea of exercise is her choppers.

My sister is size 12 but HATES any form of exercise. Lives of nervous energy.

My husband, currently 20ish stone, lost 2 stone in the last 6 weeks and says he's going to carry on. Doesn't exercise, he takes the dog for a walk in the car.

My daughter is 28 a nurse and workaholic come binge drinker on her few days off. Won't walk, bike, swim... anything really. She gets a taxi everywhere.

My son, 16 tomorrow 5ft 11in, bed potato.

My niece is 7 years old and does horse riding, swimming, ice skating. It's been said disdainfully that she takes after me.

I've got this wonderful cartoonish image of your family now K80!

K80
14/05/2013 at 18:18

Petite Canarie - fab monica

I'll have that, we are a cartoon family

14/05/2013 at 18:52

Fab Monica - what's that?

I'm sure my OH would love to know how to walk a dog while in the car - it's pouring with rain and he's on evening dog duty as I'm working till late!

Blisters    pirate
14/05/2013 at 22:34

It's raining so much here that you could take the fish out for exercise.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.