How fit are your family?

1 to 20 of 31 messages
13/05/2013 at 21:38

The limpettes were excluded from team sports at school (the only sort of PE on offer was team stuff) because the PE teacher didn't like them for some reason. She said they had no sporting ability and would amount to nothing.
So they became able cyclists, very proficient equestrians and have run several marathons each, all before reaching their mid twenties and whilst working for very tough degrees.
Shove that in yer pipe Mrs Loser PE teacher. (not you kk obviously).

13/05/2013 at 22:07

I loved sport as a teenager, then started smoking at 13 until 21. Then got back into sports.

Currently 24 done 1 off road marathon, lots of races and part of a local running club. 

Only sporty person in the family and probably staying that way. 

My only regret is the smoking at an early age. Maybe could of been a superstar by now 

13/05/2013 at 22:13

I was the first in my family to get into running (aged 11). My Mum and sister were not sporty when I was growing up, but my sister now does a bit of running and swimming and Mum got a personal trainer 5 years ago and now can beat me at pretty much any distance in running!

I don't have children, but I like to think they'd be into some sort of sport but my boyfriend does little exersize so maybe they'd take after him.

13/05/2013 at 22:37

husband and boys seem to have natural aptitude for sporty things that need hand eye coordination and swimming, youngest will join in any sport on offer at school and they do have some good stuff like extreme frizbee. he also plays rugby, husband plays football.  Older son walks or skateboards to get around our town but doesn't take part in any sports.

13/05/2013 at 22:52

My wife is not fit, exercise for her is dancing, my daughters are tall and slim but not athletic. I run and I'm the weird one in everyone else's eyes

13/05/2013 at 23:14

Two of my brothers ride horses and play golf.  Another two of them Ride Bikes and do Triathlons, one is a boxing coach, three  of us are still running .  My two sisters 

were dancers but have retired now. My other brother wa s also a boxer .

My son is always in the gym and my daughter goes as often as her work allows her to.

The only one not doing much in our house hold is my wife.

(That's because she does everything else.)  

t

Blisters    pirate
13/05/2013 at 23:50

My wife has always been a swimmer.

My large daughter learned how to swim at an early age (3), and progressed through the club system until she had been through all the boys. She still enjoys swimming, and is still slick. Now she has just taken out gym membership and is using it lots.

My small daughter doesn't want to compete directly, but she does regular ballroom and latin dancing. She was over the moon when she finally passed her silver, adn surpassed the bronze that wifey and I have.

As for me? I've just got this occasional addiction for big projects. Run a marathon. Run a pb marathon. Get a GFA time. Get a sub 3 marathon. Sod it all. Un-sod it. Buy a bike. Learn how to swim. Join a tri club. Commit to an ironman. Join the Pirates.

14/05/2013 at 00:15

14/05/2013 at 06:22

My brother does caving, climbing, diving and rescuing people from all said activities.  Don't think that's really sport as such but it is quite active, and he rides a mountain bike til bits of him bleed.  He is diabetic and asthmatic.

DS1 (14) is athletic to look at but has an attitude veering between hate and mild dislike to PE, his last PE teacher did finally persuade him to do long jump and javelin for school.  He wavers over whether to come running with me after he "owned" me going twice round the block a few months ago but I think he sees I am a bit fitter now.

DS2 (7) did have a spell where he thought he might be a "far distant runner" and is built like an African marathon runner, but has retreated to the sofa for now.

14/05/2013 at 08:33

younger brother is a club level swimmer, very fast. runs with me occasionally, 

my parents too are very fit, they do a lot of hiking and trekking these days, but both have been fit al their lives, 

14/05/2013 at 09:38

I've always liked sports and outdoor activities and was in the school's rounders and volleyball teams. Horse riding from young age too with my sister. Still play competitive volleyball. Sister is a yoga instructor. Dad's into going to gym, running and skiing. Bf is mainly into climbing and mountain biking. His family is also very sporty and 'outdoorsy'. Can't imagine another way of life.

gingerfurball    pirate
14/05/2013 at 09:56

My dad was always very fit - I think if he was a young man now he'd be an Ironman - he used to regularly walk 20 mile treks on a weekly basis with a sort walk (4-5 miles) every day and he also rode a bike a lot.  My mum, sister and brother have ZERO interest in sport and fitness (and it shows).

From a young age I was sport mad (Dame Mary Peters was my idol along with the Romanian gymnasts and people like Daley Thompson  ) I regularly ran for my schools (100 and 200m) I was Northern Irish Judo champion at 12 and competed on a reasonably high level in gymnastics.

MrGFB also was always interested in sport....boxing at Irish level (in fact he turned pro for a while) and has run loads of marathons and is a multiple Ironman.

As far as our kids are concerned only our eldest daughter has been interested in sport...in fact she gave up life here to move to Newcastle and she was training with one of the top trampoline coaches in the country (full time - we supported her) in the hopes of reaching the Olympics...that's when we found out how hard it is to (a) get funding and (b) how bitchy and cut throat full time athletes are.

My other two (skinny and fit|) kids have no interest in sport...but are very musical - with a very promising future in that.

14/05/2013 at 10:00

I used to swim and play hockey a bit when I was at middle school, but with more enthusiasm than skill.

I stopped doing sports at high school (about 13), and did nothing much until my late thirties, when I started running (which I had hated at school).  Again, with more enthusiasm than skill/speed.

Last year I started cycling too - for the first time ever.

None of my family do any sport, but they're pretty active.  My sister and BIL go walking.  

My mum is nearly 90, but is more active than some people a quarter her age.  She walks, or gets the bus to go shopping, visit people, etc.

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 10:01
14/05/2013 at 10:32

Way back yonder I hated PE at school despite being reasonably good and being in good shape. I kept fit, exercised daily walked a lot. 

Think I may have mentioned before that I had a 5 mile trek into town and that I saw not reason why I should not be able to run this distance. School uniform, school bag et al. Good job I wore sensible shoes.

Both my sisters where good at PE. Both are now totally over weight. Youngest does bootcamps and archery, the latter she is very good at. Eldest used to play squash which kept her in good shape. She hasn't played in years though.

Parents - neither took much in the way of exercise. Mother had cancer for about as long as I can remember (died when I was 18) so most exercise was out of the question as she wasn't strong enough.

As I said, I've always been active, always tried to keep fit. Had some very physical jobs in the past. Exercise routinely. My partner (husband) hated exercise of all types, drank too much coffee and spent too much of his life living in hotel rooms, smerked tabs.  We did go for walks though. Long country walks. Miss those.

I really wish I'd started running earlier. I could've been quite good at it. Still, that's not the point, look at what I've got now.

Glad I didn't mention Judo as a kid then. GFB would have me beat before I've had a chance to stand up.

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 10:38
14/05/2013 at 10:39

Eldest daughter (15) plays ladies & age group hockey and narrowly missed selection to county squad last season. Still does a bit of athletics (sprints, hurdles, long & triple jump) but has gone off the longer (cross country) stuff.
Youngest swims and runs, has county times in the former, and narrowly missed medals in two events (4th & 5th) at the last county Champs. Favours longer distances at running (she's 11, runs as U13) and had a best of 5th place in one of the county cross countries last winter. Does biathlon (swim & run) and was 18th in the nationals this year. Also does taekwondo weekly.
Dad used to run a lot to a high standard when he was younger, but does very little now. Wife used to swim a lot, just does it for exercise now. Don't think she'll ever compete again.
I just run now having played most sports when I was younger and football up until the kids were born. Only thing I can't do is swim (or play golf)

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 10:40
14/05/2013 at 10:42

It's interesting to see the rose tinted view that older family members have of their current fitness. The worst culprits are the ones who call themselves "ex-rugby players" who, yes, used to play rugby about 35 years ago and since then have carried on with the drinking and eating but no kind of training ... and then are completely shocked when the GP tells them that they are unfit  

14/05/2013 at 11:24
xine267 wrote (see)

The worst culprits are the ones who call themselves "ex-rugby players" who, yes, used to play rugby about 35 years ago and since then have carried on with the drinking and eating but no kind of training ...

You don't mean Fat Buddha do you ? 

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 11:25
14/05/2013 at 11:41

I wonder what sort of replies you'd get if you posted this on mumsnet or some other forum.

Don't think anyone would reply if I asked this on any of the biking forums. Wrong sort of carbs for starters.

14/05/2013 at 11:53
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
xine267 wrote (see)

The worst culprits are the ones who call themselves "ex-rugby players" who, yes, used to play rugby about 35 years ago and since then have carried on with the drinking and eating but no kind of training ...

You don't mean Fat Buddha do you ? 

Not unless he is secretly related to me!

gingerfurball    pirate
14/05/2013 at 12:29

*wrestles Mousey into a head hold*

My training (running and tri) took a couple of decades of a hold during my child bearing and rearing years...I wish I had kept up my fitness..I always longed to be fitter - but at least I've done what I've done.

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.