How many race times can you remember exactly

1 to 20 of 31 messages
05/11/2013 at 11:58

4 of you in a gameshow. Jackpot question "How many of your own race times can you name exactly?"  The highest correct bid wins one-hundred-thousand pounds. Everyone else goes home empty-handed.

For each time, you must identify the race (event and year  - 5K minimum) and the time to the nearest second, obviously only from memory.  Get just one wrong, and you score zero.

What's your bid?

05/11/2013 at 12:19

I've not seen this, when is it on and which channel?

05/11/2013 at 12:39

What happens in the event of a tie?

Edited: 05/11/2013 at 12:45
05/11/2013 at 12:50

I would suggest in the event of a tie that the people with the most correct answers compare actual correct times, with the fastest one being the overall winner, I think that would be the fairest option, or do you have something else in mind?

05/11/2013 at 12:58

No, that seems fair enough. It's going to be a bugger trying to sell the idea to the BBC, though, I reckon.

05/11/2013 at 13:02

I don't know, they could introduce some emotion to it, maybe invite along someone who's recently had some minor trauma, and when they get under pressure to remember a recent Parkrun they go all teary eyed.

05/11/2013 at 13:07

yes, perhaps you remember the times from all these races because they were all special, dedicated to someone close to you who died or it might have been the culmination of your long battle back from obesity and you'd lost 18 st in the previous 18 months...

05/11/2013 at 13:09

How minor are we talking? The death of a goldfish? A collapsed fondue? 

05/11/2013 at 13:21

Isn't Death of  Goldfish a play by American playwright Arthur Miller

05/11/2013 at 13:23

No, that was the sequel written by his distant cousin, Windy 

05/11/2013 at 13:54

Ironically, it was called Trump-ton.

Listen guys, I'm really delighted that you've been putting your imaginations to work. Looking to bring improvements to the concept. None of you have succeeded yet, but I do appreciate the effort.

You could help me though.  I'm a welder in my late-forties and have decided that I'm going to go heavily into TV programming. I've been watching a lot of telly recently as part of my research and have made a couple of pilot shows using my iPhone - one is a chat show (I'm the host), and the other is a new quiz concept, where runners have to try to recall their previous race times.

I'm please with the pilots, even though there were a few continuity errors, the camera-work was shaky and the jokes were crap.  I know it's not good enough yet, but I'm expecting that things will be much better once I have a proper BBC TV studio to work with. 

I am eventually going to be bigger than Simon Cowell. But if anyone can advise me on how to get there faster, it would be good. Indeed, any feedback on my plan would be appreciated.

Sorry to go on at such length, but I'm so excited about my forthcoming success, I wanted to give you all a chance of a little slice of reflected glory.

Thanks

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/11/2013 at 14:44

You want to get there faster?  How much faster?  1:57?

05/11/2013 at 14:45

A welder! why didn't you say so, it's all falling into place now, I get it

05/11/2013 at 14:48

A tourist walked into a pet shop and was looking at the animals on display.
While he was there, another customer walked in and said to the shopkeeper,
"I'll have an AutoCAD monkey please." The shopkeeper nodded, went over to a
cage at the side of the shop and took out a monkey. He fitted a collar and
leash, handed it to the customer, saying, "That'll be $5000." The customer
paid and walked out with his monkey.
Startled, the tourist went over to the shopkeeper and said, "That was a very
expensive monkey. Most of them are only few hundred dollars. Why did that
one cost so much?" The Shopkeeper answered, "Ah, that monkey can draw in
AutoCAD - very fast, clear layouts, no mistakes, well worth the money."

The tourist looked at a monkey in another cage. "That one's even more
expensive! $10,000! What does it do?"
"Oh, that one's a Design monkey; it can design systems, layout projects,
mark-up drawings, write specifications, some even calculate. All the really
useful stuff," said the shopkeeper.

The tourist looked around for a little longer and saw a third monkey in its
own cage. The price tag around its neck read $50,000. He gasped to the
shopkeeper, "That one costs more than all the others put together! What on
earth does it do?"

The shopkeeper replied, "Well, I haven't actually seen it do anything, but
it says it's a Welder"

05/11/2013 at 15:03

There's a famous old joke. Not fit for a family running forum, but you can Google it if you like.

The punch-line is "Sorry Sir, I'm not a real welder."

05/11/2013 at 15:35
Screamapillar wrote (see)

How minor are we talking? The death of a goldfish? A collapsed fondue? 

By which I mean "souffle" - tsk, multitasking...

Nose Nowt wrote (see)

But if anyone can advise me on how to get there faster, it would be good. Indeed, any feedback on my plan would be appreciated.

I should warn you that not everybody is impressed by speed NN 

seren nos    pirate
05/11/2013 at 16:48

I can't name a single race time..........don't think i will win much money from your show......

05/11/2013 at 16:49

race time, chip time or garmin time.

it all gets a bit confusing.

05/11/2013 at 16:50

Interesting point Skotty...

NN are you sure you've really thought this through? 

Edited: 05/11/2013 at 16:52
05/11/2013 at 17:25

Skotty is only trying to confuse the issue because he's not very good at the game. As we high achievers say "Don't let negativity get in the way of creativity." 

I'm going to be bigger than Cowell. Fact.   If you don't believe me, then I challenge you all to state how far you think I'm gonna get.   Simon Cowell?  Graham Norton?  Jonathan Ross?

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.