How many times have you dialled 999 in your life?

1 to 20 of 29 messages
29/06/2014 at 17:49

4 - one medical emergency, three for the police.

29/06/2014 at 17:58
Once, after a crash and run... Nobody hurt though.

Had a weird one where I stopped the car to help a runner who I had seen fall over. They had caught a rabbit hole and fallen on some metal and were badly hurt (bleeding heavily) but not life threateningly so. I was deliberating about what to do and whether to get her to my car to go to hospital or if it really did merit an ambulance. After a few minutes an ambulance turned up. Turns out another driver passing by had called an ambulance. Still can't get my head round calling an ambulance with no idea if one was really needed, and without stopping...
29/06/2014 at 18:01
Ps if that runner was anyone on here, it was at the blue house roundabout in Newcastle a few years ago. I've always wondered how you were and if you ever did make the epic adventure you were training for!!!
29/06/2014 at 18:05

Twice, ambulance both times, one for my mum, one for a stranger.

JvR
29/06/2014 at 18:53

Called police once when I saw some lads smash the padlock of the school gates late one night and then one of them run in before driving out again in a car.

Got partner to ring fire brigade when our shower caught fire and we need a bit of help to make sure the fire was out.

29/06/2014 at 19:04

Twice.

First when large lorry hit the back of my small blue FIAT and sent me spinning.

Second when was last senior person on school site and thought drama studio was on fire. It wasn't. it was a faulty boiler causing lots of steam and a hot spot but firemen looked after me and made me cup of tea as we waited.

29/06/2014 at 19:08

A couple of times after car crashes, one of which i was the passenger in when my oh decided to spin on the A46 and i ended up staring at the traffic coming towards us and thinking meeps Sorry if you were in a hurry that day, and were really annoyed at the stupid car that closed the A46 for a while that day.  About 10 years ago.

Ohhh a 3rd time.  A loony car with an obviously drunk driver was going at silly speeds on the M1 about 5 years ago, I called the police and got a call later, saying they had nicked the driver and they were over the limit by quite a way.

Oh.. and had family call an ambulance for me once after a very bad asthma attack, ended up stuck in hospital for a week that time.

29/06/2014 at 19:08

Once police! Heard my neighbours back door being kicked in and knew she was away on holiday..... turned out it was her son pissed who decided to stay while his mum was away but lost his keys! 

29/06/2014 at 21:51

20+

Last time was on the way home from work a week ago.  Saw the police looking for something the turning before mine.There was a whacking diesel spill on the slip road from Esher onto the A3.  Had a huge sideways moment.  They must have been looking for the spill, but on the wrong road.

Have done it for all sorts of things that need sorting, but which I don't want to do, or don't have the authority to make it happen.

I've been the cause of a few 999 calls too, when I was younger.

30/06/2014 at 07:34

never

30/06/2014 at 09:00

Twice - a car accident on the M1 and another time a bloke standing on the rail of a footbridge over the M4 - looked like he was going to jump into traffic. 

30/06/2014 at 10:24

Never

gingerfurball    pirate
30/06/2014 at 10:26

A couple of times - our chimney went on fire - quite dramatically - so we phoned the fire brigade.

MrGFB came across a neighbour (about two streets away) lying by his car - he put him in the recovery position and phoned an ambulance - thing is loads of people just passed on by - probably thought he was drunk - turns out he had fallen into a diabetic coma...MrGFB's phonecall saved his life.

And sadly living in Northern Ireland we have had cause to phone the police - MrGFB and my dad were in our car and we're hijacked at gunpoint - the car was then used in a mortar attack.   

One time we should have phoned an ambulance but my mum wouldn't let us....she had a very sudden and extreme headache - the most we could get her to do was to go to the out of hours doctor - turns out she had a hemorrhagic stroke with another aneurysm ready to blow - she was neee narrred off to another hospital 75 miles away for emergency surgery - thankfully she recovered very well with little change in her abilities.  

30/06/2014 at 11:31

Fire brigade for a fire on some moorland, husband called ambulance when our son (then 3) had a fit for no apparent reason - scary stuff seeing your little child having a seizure.

Oh and my daughter got hold of the phone at my in-laws (non-childproof) house and managed to dial 999. The first we knew of it was when they rang back and told us off despite our apologies

30/06/2014 at 12:48

Once when daughter 1 was a few weeks old, and she managed to wriggle free of daddy's arms in the bath and go under the water.  Apparently, at that age, they still have the reflex action of not breathing when they are under water, but we didn't know that.  Scariest few minutes of my life (I'm not actually sure how long it took for her to start breathing again, but it felt like forever).

Paramedics were with us less than 5 minutes after the call went in, and were lovely about it.  I think they were relieved that it was pretty much a false alarm.

I dialled 99 once - was just about to hit the 9 again when I spotted the occupants of the car that had been rear-ended in the queue getting out and putting on the rather fetching hats that matched their uniforms.  If you are going to hit another car, best not make it an unmarked police car.

30/06/2014 at 13:40

Nessie - I can imagine how scary it was with your daughter. And yes - seems like hours when these things are going on. Whoops to the person who hit the police car - I worked with a guy who once ran into the back of a police car at a roundabout. He thought the police cra was pulling away and turns out it wasn't.

30/06/2014 at 16:05

twice

once for an ambulance when somebody fell down some steps exiting a party (drunk in the early hours of the morning) and broke their ankle and they and their "friends" were in no fit state to organise anything for themselves

once for the police when I was sitting in the lounge at the back of our house at 2am and I noticed a stranger looking in at the window from our (secluded) back garden - bit of a shock - tried opening a (small) window and talking to him, but with no coherent response - suppose he was either VERY drunk or mentally deficient - didn't want to go outside to tackle him myself though!

03/07/2014 at 15:40

Several times over the years - police and ambulance but not fire (as far as I can remember!). Youths fighting in the street, neighbours fighting in the street, passed out drunkards (see above for possible other explanations of passedoutness), daughter & au pair came off bike and hit the road, suspected theft attempt of air compressor on street, parties getting out of hand (not mine), and have ambulance called for me a few times.... All usual stuff for living in a city

04/07/2014 at 12:06

Once, to report a man with a gun sitting in a car outside a bank.

04/07/2014 at 20:03

Turned out it was the husband of one of the bank employees who had come to pick her up, and the gun was a pretty realistic toy replica that their child had left in the car. They got a shock when a bunch of police cars screeched up to their house.

1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.