How much 'responsibility' do you (should you) feel for other people online

and the way you engage with them?

17 messages
kittenkat    pirate
17/12/2012 at 19:25

Here's the situation:

There's a guy on one of the other regular forums I post on. Its an American forum so mainly Americans and Canadians and I've been posting on there for years so know the community well. The guy has been banned from most of the places we've posted in the past, now we post somewhere new he's turned up again.

He has a history of being racist, misogynistic and just all round strange. The latest in light of what's happened in America is him starting a thread wondering if he could be a serial killer in the future because he had a lot in common with the childhood of a former serial killer.

He's in his early 20s, and apparently still at college.

You can be anything on the Internet, we all know this. I guess my question is how should you interact with people online, we can't always be super nice and like everyone. It's actually ok not to like people, it's a defense mechanism that could save your life.

But conversely you don't know how vulnerable or what emotional state people are in. A good recent example is the hoax hospital call in the news.

It's a virtual minefield

Edited: 17/12/2012 at 19:27
17/12/2012 at 19:46

I take online people at face value.  If they are racist, misogynistic, or in any other way objectionable, I avoid them.  They may really feel that way or they may just be trolls - I don't want to interact with them either way.

I don't feel any sense of responsibility for them.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
17/12/2012 at 19:47
None.
17/12/2012 at 19:53

it's best not to think about it.

kittenkat    pirate
17/12/2012 at 20:00
the dude abides wrote (see)

And play on my new Kindle... ?

Because I have a NEW kindle.

17/12/2012 at 20:22

the truth is out there merry xmas runners world forumites theres more good people out there than wierdos ....

kittenkat    pirate
17/12/2012 at 20:31

Oh no, I think the weirdos have it on sheer outnumbering ratings. Like zombies, but who doesn't like a zombie?

17/12/2012 at 20:33
kittenkat wrote (see)

Watch you don't prick your finger in your new Kindle! you'll sleep for a hundred years!

kittenkat    pirate
17/12/2012 at 21:01
kittenkat wrote (see)

Watch you don't prick your finger in your new Kindle! you'll sleep for a hundred years!

Prick your finger on your Kindle could work in an updated fairytale. Prick your finger IN your Kindle is a bit more of a euphemism.

kittenkat    pirate
17/12/2012 at 21:04

Anyway I'm off to 'play' with my Kindle.

Laters.

18/12/2012 at 08:27

Like Wilkie I take people at face value. 

I'm not a "validator" - if I think people need to be told something straight I'm likely to tell them and I don't really care whether they like that or not. I sometimes post on another forum where it can be a bit "there, there" and "poor you" and I'm the one that will say - "Well, no, actually you can do something about this!" That's probably what I'd be telling this American guy.

That wouldn't make me responsible though. Whether he seeks help is ultimately up to him.

I think the hoax call is something different. The nurse didn't ask to get inolved in any of that after all. And no-one could have predicted her reaction.  

18/12/2012 at 09:39

Interesting one KK, and hard to know unless you meet face to face. Why don't you save up and fly over to meet him? You could always enjoy your Kindle on the flight. 

18/12/2012 at 10:09

I don't troll or flame people even if my private opinion of them/their forum persona is very low and I find their opinions repellent. I've got enough stress in my life without inviting more stress by telling some random loser exactly what I think of them.

In terms of "vulnerable" people, well, I suppose I wouldn't add fuel to the fire but similarly I wouldn't feel responsible for them. The motives of someone posting in a chatty forum for advice on a sensitive issue are questionable anyway, do they actually want advice or do they just want to boast?

18/12/2012 at 11:23

I treat online people as I treat anyone else. I avoid/ignore those that I feel uncomfortable about. I will offer an opinion but not 'tell' people that they are wrong even if I do know what I am talking about sometimes! One or two even pm their appreciation and come across better than on the forum.

However if I felt seriously concerned about someone's postings' ( none so far) I would probably try and report it. I have my favourite forumites and nobody on ignore.   

18/12/2012 at 11:36

Hmm. I treat people online as I do in the real world. I wouldn't attack anyone unless provoked and would help where I can...

I don't need to assume an aggressive personality in  a virtual world in order to feel good about myself.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/12/2012 at 16:31

I avoid the trolls and the nasties, no point in giving them an opening, they just want to stir things up.

19/12/2012 at 16:10

Well i met my partner online. We have been together 10 years, and have an 8yr old son. There is extremes to both sides like people in general.

In real life this guy is probably just a just a nobody, not very popular, got anger issues, not liked very much, so attacks others to get a reaction. My philosophy is not give a naughty child attention.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.