I don't need another hero....

Or do I?

21 to 29 of 29 messages
22/10/2012 at 20:20

I'm not offended if offered a seat, but I do feel a bit embarassed. I normally would like a seat, but also don't feel I should be offered one just because I'm female.

As for the toilet seat up/down, it just looks better down. Especially when people aren;t the best at keeping the rim and underside of the seat clean. I normally suggest to male housemates they're welcome to leave it up if they keep it clean, but as I'm the only one who cleans the loo it should stay down. They ignore me! But it's worth a try.

22/10/2012 at 21:26

I remember when I was living in a student household, having the toilet seat debate.  My argument was that four guys out-numbered two women, so the next person was more likely to need the toilet seat up, which meant it was basically more practical from an efficiency point of view to leave it the way it was when you were finished.  Since then I've just got old and decided it just looks better down, so wherever I am I put it down out of habit. 

As for giving up my seat, I'm gender neutral.  I guess statistically speaking women are more likely to be either pregnant, struggling with children or less strong for carrying heavy bags, etc. but I wouldn't give up a seat for them just because they're women. 

22/10/2012 at 22:57
Dapper old gent on the train last week; over the course of my twenty minute journey he offered his seat to three different young ladies. All of them declined.

I have never been offered a seat by a woman.
23/10/2012 at 00:19

I'm a woman and I'd offer my seat to anyone who looked like they needed to sit down more than I did. Problems can arise though when assuming pregnancy as many chicks are just fat and not actually preggers and then take offence at you thinking they're up the duff when they're not!

A good way to not offend people is to say something like 'I'm just getting off at the next stop anyway' and that way they don't automatically assume you're calling them old/fat/feeble/whatever and get all snippy about it. Similarly if offered a seat and declining, I'll usually say the same thing so as not to sound rude...

23/10/2012 at 00:24
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Toilet lids should be down when flushed.  They should also be down when small kids and pets are around.

Where's the dog supposed to get a drink then? Seeing as it consistently prefers freshly flushed loo water to fresh tap water in its bowl.

And no, I'd never use those horrible loo block thingys. Ugh...

24/10/2012 at 11:51
runs-with-dogs wrote (see)

A good way to not offend people is to say something like 'I'm just getting off at the next stop anyway' and that way they don't automatically assume you're calling them old/fat/feeble/whatever and get all snippy about it. Similarly if offered a seat and declining, I'll usually say the same thing so as not to sound rude...

But what if you're not getting off at the next stop?

I once congratulated a woman on her pregnancy and she was just fat. Another time I steadfastly refused to acknowledge the obvious pregnancy of another woman and was then accused of being rude for not congratulating her.

24/10/2012 at 14:00

Maybe all pregnant women should go back to wearing dungarees, then we'd know! 

24/10/2012 at 14:16

Can you still buy dungarees? I'd love some!

24/10/2012 at 19:13
Azacaya wrote (see)
runs-with-dogs wrote (see)

A good way to not offend people is to say something like 'I'm just getting off at the next stop anyway'

But what if you're not getting off at the next stop?

Ah, that's easy. Train carriages have a door at each end. Whichever way the seat you're giving up is facing, head for the door to the back of it. That way they won't see you not getting off at the next stop and feel guilty/offended.

Doesn't really work on a bus though...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.