I need a new laptop

anyone got any recommendations?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
25/01/2010 at 12:52

The mouse buttons aren't clicky

But she's right, the screen is terrible.  A lot of companies advertise their machines with ultra bright screens (or something similar) which means they're very shiny and reflect everything.  It makes it impossible to use in bright sunlight or if you're sitting with your back to a window.

25/01/2010 at 14:11

Yeah, my work one (fujitsu) has a screen like that. Not ideal.

Lenovo - never heard of it, will keep an eye out for it.

You reckon windows 7 is OK?  I'm a die-hard XP user at the moment, but I can see I'm going to get forced to move on.  I expect my beloved DOS games will no longer run....

25/01/2010 at 14:23
"Lenovo - never heard of it, will keep an eye out for it."

they used to be IBM.........or should I say the PC side of IBM. when IBM pulled out of this sector, they sold the business off to Lenovo - back in 04/05 I think......

and W7 is good Mike - it's what Vista should have been. I'm a diehard XP user but have trialled W7 in beta format and it's good. I'll switch my business PC's to it in due course when all the relevant hardware and software is compatible
Edited: 25/01/2010 at 14:25
25/01/2010 at 17:05
Agreed... steer well clear of Vista but Windows 7 seems to be pretty good, assuming you can't get Linux on your laptop
25/01/2010 at 17:20
Linux?? can't get on with it.....

I recently tried to get Ubuntu onto the W7 PC in a dual boot version - seems to install OK but when you ask it to boot into Ubuntu it just hangs. tried it any number of times, different install versions - nope - all the same. it's not as foolproof as Linux nerds make out and it's positively shite at some things when I have used it
25/01/2010 at 17:26
I'm going to give it a year, and then I'll switch to 7. I'm very happy with XP, I use it on part of my Macbook.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.