I will be very sad when the Brighton marathon is over .....

21 to 40 of 322 messages
21/03/2013 at 17:10

Well, as an avid reader, and occasional contributor to the forementioned thread, I must protest

It may seem mundane, strange or ridiculous to brilliant experienced runners, but to someone who is going to run their first marathon, it has some useful support and information. And I like, now that I am 'one of them', to hear about how their training is going.

By the way, what should I wear to coordinate with the colour green?

21/03/2013 at 17:12
Fuchsia
21/03/2013 at 17:14
Hi Kathy

For a green number I would wear a white shirt. Will also help to stay cool in case it gets hot
21/03/2013 at 17:17

we can't all be elites like you guys.  

21/03/2013 at 17:17

Ooh, get a nice pair of Saucony Fastwitch!

http://www.runpals.com/image-files/saucony-fastwitch-5-mens.jpg

21/03/2013 at 17:34
To be fair this thread was started as "it's a very funny Thread" ....................a..................certain person.............started to make it..................a pissing contest....................about how fast they run...............
21/03/2013 at 18:18
I don't think a forum where people mock other threads is big or clever, and sets a dangerous precedent. Except if it's that tosser Yifter, in which case, crack on.
21/03/2013 at 20:45
Jindalee wrote (see)

( unless I fall asleep waiting for him to finally finish)

I bet that doesn't happen often.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 20:47
21/03/2013 at 20:48
...you would be surprised Mr Puffy
21/03/2013 at 20:51
Hmmmm reminds me of a another thread. This chap was giving it out large, all sorts of comments. Then totally ballsed his race up. Turns out he didn't like the outside and only ran on a treadmill. Not one long run outside and when he choked in the race he started with all sorts of excuses like he didn't wear gloves.
21/03/2013 at 21:04

David, how you can find anything funny or vaguely ridiculous about referring to family members as Poobear, Snow Maiden and Prancing Fairy I don't know

Shame on you

And whoever was abusing Seren for taking 11hours for a marathon. That was the "last" marathon, amongst an 1,000 mile run or something.

So behave.

Save the abuse of Seren for the infinitely irritating .......s.

kittenkat    pirate
22/03/2013 at 06:27

It's still bloody raining.

kittenkat    pirate
22/03/2013 at 06:41
seren nos wrote (see)
..without any knowledge of their background, size , self confidence or history.then it can be more amazing for one person to do a 7 hour marathon than for someone else to do a 3 hour marathon as a training run........

Conversely you don't know the background of the 3 hour runner, and what their journey has been. It works both ways, I don't see how a slow runner automatically 'trumps' a faster runner in this every time in some people's opinion, without huge assumptions being made about people and their circumstances.

kittenkat    pirate
22/03/2013 at 06:46

Irrespective of speed, people have their own shit to deal with. The world is crawling with people, so ergo (in my mind) that makes us quite insignificant as individuals. Which ironically is quite a comforting thought because it means that no-one really gives a shit at what speed other people run, what they wear to run in and what they say on a forum which is one of thousands of Internet forums and therefore insignificant, as per my argument about individuals.

So let's just use this space for our own amusement, and someone turn the bloody rain off.

22/03/2013 at 09:11

Yeah false praise is actually doing people a disservice, I believe in encouragement but I also believe in being honest. I've coached and taught many people in years gone by in many different sports and people do need honesty, delivered in the right way for their personality and temperament of course.

22/03/2013 at 09:21
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Perhaps we are doing people a favour by pointing out their errors so they'll learn and move on. 

So would the best way to do that be (a) engage in the topic under discussion, offering constructive criticism about where they're going wrong, possibly backed up with suggestions based on experience, or (b) start a new thread in a different forum, and point and laugh?

22/03/2013 at 09:23
kittenkat wrote (see)

Conversely you don't know the background of the 3 hour runner, and what their journey has been. It works both ways, I don't see how a slow runner automatically 'trumps' a faster runner in this every time in some people's opinion, without huge assumptions being made about people and their circumstances.

With all the advice given on here, I was thinking I was the only one thinking this way. I do find it all a bit unnecessarily PC to say 'Yeah everyone is trying equally hard and they all deserve equal recognition.' ...... well actually not really.

I agree with this.  

I know I could do much better if I was willing to train harder.  I am NOT putting in as much effort as some other people I know are, either in terms of time, or sheer pushing myself to work harder.

My race times are mediocre (at best), but I'm happy enough with them.  I don't want  praise for training inadequately and racing at a pace that I find comfortable, rather than trying really hard!

22/03/2013 at 09:26
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

people do need honesty, delivered in the right way for their personality and temperament of course.

Thats where you and I differ, I have just one way of delivering my thoughts and views, and it doesnt really vary too much depending on how soft I think the person I am delivering the news to might be.

In some ways a shock, forget-all-the-bs-this-is-how-it-is post, is probably more helpful than trying to break every bit of 'bad news' gently. Might wake them from their slumber.

I'm direct, but in a way that doesn't break confidence. You can give someone a good old kick up the arse still.

22/03/2013 at 09:27

Quote fail!

WiB
22/03/2013 at 09:29

That's it, let it all out. The first step is admitting it. You are all doing really well 

WiB
21 to 40 of 322 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.