I will be very sad when the Brighton marathon is over .....

21 to 40 of 286 messages
21/03/2013 at 17:10

Well, as an avid reader, and occasional contributor to the forementioned thread, I must protest

It may seem mundane, strange or ridiculous to brilliant experienced runners, but to someone who is going to run their first marathon, it has some useful support and information. And I like, now that I am 'one of them', to hear about how their training is going.

By the way, what should I wear to coordinate with the colour green?

21/03/2013 at 17:12
Fuchsia
21/03/2013 at 17:14
Hi Kathy

For a green number I would wear a white shirt. Will also help to stay cool in case it gets hot
21/03/2013 at 17:17

we can't all be elites like you guys.  

21/03/2013 at 17:17

Ooh, get a nice pair of Saucony Fastwitch!

http://www.runpals.com/image-files/saucony-fastwitch-5-mens.jpg

21/03/2013 at 17:34
To be fair this thread was started as "it's a very funny Thread" ....................a..................certain person.............started to make it..................a pissing contest....................about how fast they run...............
21/03/2013 at 18:18
I don't think a forum where people mock other threads is big or clever, and sets a dangerous precedent. Except if it's that tosser Yifter, in which case, crack on.
21/03/2013 at 20:45
Jindalee wrote (see)

( unless I fall asleep waiting for him to finally finish)

I bet that doesn't happen often.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 20:47
21/03/2013 at 20:48
...you would be surprised Mr Puffy
21/03/2013 at 20:51
Hmmmm reminds me of a another thread. This chap was giving it out large, all sorts of comments. Then totally ballsed his race up. Turns out he didn't like the outside and only ran on a treadmill. Not one long run outside and when he choked in the race he started with all sorts of excuses like he didn't wear gloves.
21/03/2013 at 21:04

David, how you can find anything funny or vaguely ridiculous about referring to family members as Poobear, Snow Maiden and Prancing Fairy I don't know

Shame on you

And whoever was abusing Seren for taking 11hours for a marathon. That was the "last" marathon, amongst an 1,000 mile run or something.

So behave.

Save the abuse of Seren for the infinitely irritating .......s.

22/03/2013 at 09:21
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Perhaps we are doing people a favour by pointing out their errors so they'll learn and move on. 

So would the best way to do that be (a) engage in the topic under discussion, offering constructive criticism about where they're going wrong, possibly backed up with suggestions based on experience, or (b) start a new thread in a different forum, and point and laugh?

22/03/2013 at 09:23
kittenkat wrote (see)

Conversely you don't know the background of the 3 hour runner, and what their journey has been. It works both ways, I don't see how a slow runner automatically 'trumps' a faster runner in this every time in some people's opinion, without huge assumptions being made about people and their circumstances.

With all the advice given on here, I was thinking I was the only one thinking this way. I do find it all a bit unnecessarily PC to say 'Yeah everyone is trying equally hard and they all deserve equal recognition.' ...... well actually not really.

I agree with this.  

I know I could do much better if I was willing to train harder.  I am NOT putting in as much effort as some other people I know are, either in terms of time, or sheer pushing myself to work harder.

My race times are mediocre (at best), but I'm happy enough with them.  I don't want  praise for training inadequately and racing at a pace that I find comfortable, rather than trying really hard!

WiB
22/03/2013 at 09:29

That's it, let it all out. The first step is admitting it. You are all doing really well 

WiB
Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/03/2013 at 09:33
kittenkat wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)
..without any knowledge of their background, size , self confidence or history.then it can be more amazing for one person to do a 7 hour marathon than for someone else to do a 3 hour marathon as a training run........

Conversely you don't know the background of the 3 hour runner, and what their journey has been. It works both ways, I don't see how a slow runner automatically 'trumps' a faster runner in this every time in some people's opinion, without huge assumptions being made about people and their circumstances.

Except that seren did use the example of someone running 3 hours 'as a training run'.  She's not saying that slower runners automatically trumps faster runners, it's just a counterexample to the view that the only thing that matters is the finish time.  Unfortunately the amount of effort put in, or the 'journey' to get there (whatever that means) are laregly subjective.

22/03/2013 at 09:44

I do actually think though that some slower people probably are working quite a bit harder than I am. Not all of them, obviously, but even though I am training quite seriously for a marathon I don't find that I suffer serious pain or find it hard to get through my training sessions or feel knackered or discouraged. Those are all things that some people who post on threads for support and encouragement talk about. Also, I could not imagine making the effort involved in spending 6 hours running a marathon just in terms of sheer grinding hard work and time on feet.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
22/03/2013 at 10:16

I don't think faster trump slower or slower trumps faster..............never seen anything on the forums to see that everyone thinks slower is better......I have great respect for the faster runners on these forums....their dedication to training amazes me.......the hours to get to a sub 3 marathon for the women and men  is amazing and i love reading about their training...

I do think that a lot of the fast runners get their praise on the day with their prizes and do not need the type of encouragemnet that slower runners need........

you cannot equate speed to effort.......so why not just let people be happy with their times..if you don't think that they have deserved praise then don't give it.....but why knock someone who is obviously stuggling and trying to do something

But on a more serious note, had I wanted to follow my own advice, what I would have done was post directly on the Brighton Marathon thread, telling her that attempting to do 20 miles tomorrow is pure folly, that she is clearly way behind on the training schedule, so therefore should not be trying to stick to rigidly to it, just because 'thats what the plan says' ........ however if I did do that I know two things would happen.

1) I would get a volley of abuse for being 'mean'.

2) She would still ignroe what I said, do her 20 miles, she will walk 17 of them ..... probably injure herself, meaning she'll do f... all until the marathon starts as she recovers ..... she'll then do the marathon ...... probably register a time of around 7 hours and will pat herself on the back for completing the marathon and hang the medal up on a mantlepiece somewhere.

Some people just dont want to hear the truth, so therefore its not really worth my time giving them the truth.

and Dave...why do you think that her doing 20 miles this weekend is wrong........I would say going out and walking 15 miles and running 5 miles might be the perfect long run as they have time to recover from it..............it would give them time on their legs and would give them confidence...........lots of walking with reduce the chance of injury...........

22/03/2013 at 11:49

With all the advice given on here, I was thinking I was the only one thinking this way. I do find it all a bit unnecessarily PC to say 'Yeah everyone is trying equally hard and they all deserve equal recognition.' ...... well actually not really.

I know for a fact if I pushed on a little more in training and had trained a bit smarter and incorporated some more long runs into my routine I'd be a lot further ahead than I am now, 1 year after getting my a..e off the couch.

In around the same period of time Also-Ran is doing sub 1:30's, because he trained smarter and probably spent more time than I did training. So having said that should we be equally applauded for our efforts? Well the reality is no? I didnt put as much effort in, so why should I be given the same credit as someone else?

Name checked for the second time. Please stop as I'm the shy and retiring type. I'm not sure about effort compared to other - all I know about is what I put into running, and I don't get hung up about what others do or don't do. I have some reasonable results from the last year:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=461849

But do I feel smug or that I'm putting more effort in, or that its so easy? Not really - it's not something that comes up in my thoughts. All I know is that there are plenty of 40 somethings out there getting better times.

The only thing I find irritating is when hard working, talented guys like PhilP join the 40 somethings. Just plain unfair - you  stand no chance and remain an also-ran.

Put what you want to put into running DF3.

22/03/2013 at 12:01

Interesting to see you took a minute off from Wokingham to Reading Also Ran.

What do you put that down to?

I've only done the pair as a double header once, but it wasn't really a fair trial, as I spent a week off with a locked back in between, and having smashed Wokingham, I'd mentally eased off I think...

ps forgot to say, cracking progression over a very short time....

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 12:02
22/03/2013 at 12:02

Also-ran - It's all relative.  I need to make hay while the sun shines; I know some very quick 39 year olds, just in my own club! 

21 to 40 of 286 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.