I will be very sad when the Brighton marathon is over .....

41 to 60 of 394 messages
21/03/2013 at 20:51
Hmmmm reminds me of a another thread. This chap was giving it out large, all sorts of comments. Then totally ballsed his race up. Turns out he didn't like the outside and only ran on a treadmill. Not one long run outside and when he choked in the race he started with all sorts of excuses like he didn't wear gloves.
21/03/2013 at 21:04

David, how you can find anything funny or vaguely ridiculous about referring to family members as Poobear, Snow Maiden and Prancing Fairy I don't know

Shame on you

And whoever was abusing Seren for taking 11hours for a marathon. That was the "last" marathon, amongst an 1,000 mile run or something.

So behave.

Save the abuse of Seren for the infinitely irritating .......s.

21/03/2013 at 22:04
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
Hmmmm reminds me of a another thread. This chap was giving it out large, all sorts of comments. Then totally ballsed his race up. Turns out he didn't like the outside and only ran on a treadmill. Not one long run outside and when he choked in the race he started with all sorts of excuses like he didn't wear gloves.

You get idiots like that on here ....... think they know it all ...... havent got a clue ...... let me guess, he used phrases like 'manning up' and other cliches???

Hang on ..... wait a minute  ........

kittenkat    pirate
22/03/2013 at 06:27

It's still bloody raining.

kittenkat    pirate
22/03/2013 at 06:41
seren nos wrote (see)
..without any knowledge of their background, size , self confidence or history.then it can be more amazing for one person to do a 7 hour marathon than for someone else to do a 3 hour marathon as a training run........

Conversely you don't know the background of the 3 hour runner, and what their journey has been. It works both ways, I don't see how a slow runner automatically 'trumps' a faster runner in this every time in some people's opinion, without huge assumptions being made about people and their circumstances.

kittenkat    pirate
22/03/2013 at 06:46

Irrespective of speed, people have their own shit to deal with. The world is crawling with people, so ergo (in my mind) that makes us quite insignificant as individuals. Which ironically is quite a comforting thought because it means that no-one really gives a shit at what speed other people run, what they wear to run in and what they say on a forum which is one of thousands of Internet forums and therefore insignificant, as per my argument about individuals.

So let's just use this space for our own amusement, and someone turn the bloody rain off.

22/03/2013 at 08:52
kittenkat wrote (see)

Conversely you don't know the background of the 3 hour runner, and what their journey has been. It works both ways, I don't see how a slow runner automatically 'trumps' a faster runner in this every time in some people's opinion, without huge assumptions being made about people and their circumstances.

With all the advice given on here, I was thinking I was the only one thinking this way. I do find it all a bit unnecessarily PC to say 'Yeah everyone is trying equally hard and they all deserve equal recognition.' ...... well actually not really.

I know for a fact if I pushed on a little more in training and had trained a bit smarter and incorporated some more long runs into my routine I'd be a lot further ahead than I am now, 1 year after getting my a..e off the couch.

In around the same period of time Also-Ran is doing sub 1:30's, because he trained smarter and probably spent more time than I did training. So having said that should we be equally applauded for our efforts? Well the reality is no? I didnt put as much effort in, so why should I be given the same credit as someone else?

I don't need anyone blowing smoke up me to say 'Oh you did really well....', I know if I did well or not, and I know at Reading I sucked big time and should have put more effort into training and also trained a bit smarter (ie doing longer runs!). But how will it help me if everyone goes 'Oh but you should be proud of yourself for finishing.' ...... big deal, the fattest guy in the world can finish a HM given enough time.  Finishing in of itself isn't a good enough measure.

Perhaps we are doing people a favour by pointing out their errors so they'll learn and move on. 

For instance in the thread in question, there is a certain person about to do a 20 miler this weekend before 'tapering' lol ........ not one person has the balls to tell her that shes crazy. Thats shes way behind the training plan shes on, and she would be far better concentrating at this late stage in the game on some good solid 'lower mileage' to at least get some kind of base to attempt the marathon from, rather than attempting 20 miles, of which she'll walk 17 of them (you know it), possibly risk an injury given the distance versus her ability ........ the whole thing is a mess, but noone has the balls to point it out to her because we all have to be 'nicey nice'.

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 08:59
22/03/2013 at 09:11

Yeah false praise is actually doing people a disservice, I believe in encouragement but I also believe in being honest. I've coached and taught many people in years gone by in many different sports and people do need honesty, delivered in the right way for their personality and temperament of course.

22/03/2013 at 09:17
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

people do need honesty, delivered in the right way for their personality and temperament of course.

Thats where you and I differ, I have just one way of delivering my thoughts and views, and it doesnt really vary too much depending on how soft I think the person I am delivering the news to might be.

In some ways a shock, forget-all-the-bs-this-is-how-it-is post, is probably more helpful than trying to break every bit of 'bad news' gently. Might wake them from their slumber.

22/03/2013 at 09:21
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Perhaps we are doing people a favour by pointing out their errors so they'll learn and move on. 

So would the best way to do that be (a) engage in the topic under discussion, offering constructive criticism about where they're going wrong, possibly backed up with suggestions based on experience, or (b) start a new thread in a different forum, and point and laugh?

22/03/2013 at 09:23
kittenkat wrote (see)

With all the advice given on here, I was thinking I was the only one thinking this way. I do find it all a bit unnecessarily PC to say 'Yeah everyone is trying equally hard and they all deserve equal recognition.' ...... well actually not really.

I agree with this.  

I know I could do much better if I was willing to train harder.  I am NOT putting in as much effort as some other people I know are, either in terms of time, or sheer pushing myself to work harder.

My race times are mediocre (at best), but I'm happy enough with them.  I don't want  praise for training inadequately and racing at a pace that I find comfortable, rather than trying really hard!

22/03/2013 at 09:26
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

people do need honesty, delivered in the right way for their personality and temperament of course.

Thats where you and I differ, I have just one way of delivering my thoughts and views, and it doesnt really vary too much depending on how soft I think the person I am delivering the news to might be.

In some ways a shock, forget-all-the-bs-this-is-how-it-is post, is probably more helpful than trying to break every bit of 'bad news' gently. Might wake them from their slumber.

I'm direct, but in a way that doesn't break confidence. You can give someone a good old kick up the arse still.

22/03/2013 at 09:27

Quote fail!

WiB
22/03/2013 at 09:29

That's it, let it all out. The first step is admitting it. You are all doing really well 

WiB
22/03/2013 at 09:32
PhilPub wrote (see)

So would the best way to do that be (a) engage in the topic under discussion, offering constructive criticism about where they're going wrong, possibly backed up with suggestions based on experience, or (b) start a new thread in a different forum, and point and laugh?

Trust Phil to post something sensible.

OK, fair point on the pointing and laughing, although I did that for a laugh not because I felt this thread was going to help the person, in fact I posted this thread in the clubhouse section, knowing fully well that the person in question is unlikely to ever read it, so I was sparing her feelings

But on a more serious note, had I wanted to follow my own advice, what I would have done was post directly on the Brighton Marathon thread, telling her that attempting to do 20 miles tomorrow is pure folly, that she is clearly way behind on the training schedule, so therefore should not be trying to stick to rigidly to it, just because 'thats what the plan says' ........ however if I did do that I know two things would happen.

1) I would get a volley of abuse for being 'mean'.

2) She would still ignroe what I said, do her 20 miles, she will walk 17 of them ..... probably injure herself, meaning she'll do f... all until the marathon starts as she recovers ..... she'll then do the marathon ...... probably register a time of around 7 hours and will pat herself on the back for completing the marathon and hang the medal up on a mantlepiece somewhere.

Some people just dont want to hear the truth, so therefore its not really worth my time giving them the truth.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/03/2013 at 09:33
kittenkat wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)
..without any knowledge of their background, size , self confidence or history.then it can be more amazing for one person to do a 7 hour marathon than for someone else to do a 3 hour marathon as a training run........

Except that seren did use the example of someone running 3 hours 'as a training run'.  She's not saying that slower runners automatically trumps faster runners, it's just a counterexample to the view that the only thing that matters is the finish time.  Unfortunately the amount of effort put in, or the 'journey' to get there (whatever that means) are laregly subjective.

22/03/2013 at 09:37

Dave you know there's a culture on here regarding assumptions that slower people put more effort in or it's hardert. I think effort can be equal irrespective of pace.

22/03/2013 at 09:37
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
  Unfortunately the amount of effort put in, or the 'journey' to get there (whatever that means) are laregly subjective.

Exactly. But the problem is lazy people often think that the effort they are putting in is equivalent to that of what a more seasoned athlete is putting in. 

When even allowing for the differences in their current level, the seasoned athlete is still probably putting in more 'effort' than the beginner. And just because the beginner 'thinks' their effort level is the same, doesnt actually make it so.

22/03/2013 at 09:44

I do actually think though that some slower people probably are working quite a bit harder than I am. Not all of them, obviously, but even though I am training quite seriously for a marathon I don't find that I suffer serious pain or find it hard to get through my training sessions or feel knackered or discouraged. Those are all things that some people who post on threads for support and encouragement talk about. Also, I could not imagine making the effort involved in spending 6 hours running a marathon just in terms of sheer grinding hard work and time on feet.

seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 10:16

I don't think faster trump slower or slower trumps faster..............never seen anything on the forums to see that everyone thinks slower is better......I have great respect for the faster runners on these forums....their dedication to training amazes me.......the hours to get to a sub 3 marathon for the women and men  is amazing and i love reading about their training...

I do think that a lot of the fast runners get their praise on the day with their prizes and do not need the type of encouragemnet that slower runners need........

you cannot equate speed to effort.......so why not just let people be happy with their times..if you don't think that they have deserved praise then don't give it.....but why knock someone who is obviously stuggling and trying to do something

But on a more serious note, had I wanted to follow my own advice, what I would have done was post directly on the Brighton Marathon thread, telling her that attempting to do 20 miles tomorrow is pure folly, that she is clearly way behind on the training schedule, so therefore should not be trying to stick to rigidly to it, just because 'thats what the plan says' ........ however if I did do that I know two things would happen.

1) I would get a volley of abuse for being 'mean'.

2) She would still ignroe what I said, do her 20 miles, she will walk 17 of them ..... probably injure herself, meaning she'll do f... all until the marathon starts as she recovers ..... she'll then do the marathon ...... probably register a time of around 7 hours and will pat herself on the back for completing the marathon and hang the medal up on a mantlepiece somewhere.

Some people just dont want to hear the truth, so therefore its not really worth my time giving them the truth.

and Dave...why do you think that her doing 20 miles this weekend is wrong........I would say going out and walking 15 miles and running 5 miles might be the perfect long run as they have time to recover from it..............it would give them time on their legs and would give them confidence...........lots of walking with reduce the chance of injury...........

41 to 60 of 394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.