I will be very sad when the Brighton marathon is over .....

41 to 60 of 286 messages
seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 12:09

and with martyn rees still doing under 72 mins in a half at 60....there si still plenty of time to improve lads

22/03/2013 at 12:13
seren nos wrote (see)

and with martyn rees still doing under 72 mins in a half at 60....there si still plenty of time to improve lads

A 14.20  5000m result in 96 when he was a mere 43.

Wonder what he'd have run if he'd started 20-25 years earlier.

seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 12:18

he would have been faster no doubt.but he still wouldn't be running now probably..........

and to be 60 and out running all the youngsters much bring its own kind of reward

22/03/2013 at 12:19

PP - more of them? Doomed.

SG - Mid marathon training and Reading came at the end of 8 weeks doing a 6 - 7 miles at  threshold pace, so I think I benefited from the extra weeks training after Wokingham. Used different strategies as well - Wokingham paced evenly, Reading went off far too fast, sufferred, and then came back strong (sure I picked that approach  from an SG race report)

22/03/2013 at 12:30

AR - I reckon you could take a few more minutes off your HM time: You finished a couple of places ahead of one of our club guys at Bramley, he did Fleet in 78:30...

22/03/2013 at 12:32

Also ran, very impressed with the sub 3 just a week after running 3:04

How much did that hurt?

22/03/2013 at 12:34

That's the beauty of the half. You can repair it if you go off too hard.

I started a 5k way too fast recently, and realised there was no chance at all of coming back strong.

Another person saying it's the marathon training bringing on the improvement though..it's like someone's trying to tell me something!

Seren, it must be both terrific and frustrating that he discovered his skills at a late age....

22/03/2013 at 12:39
Dustin wrote (see)

AR - I reckon you could take a few more minutes off your HM time: You finished a couple of places ahead of one of our club guys at Bramley, he did Fleet in 78:30...

Guaranteed he'll imrpove for sure. But you have to be careful about time comparisons as it depends what someone's strength is.

For instance, from my last 2 races,

last half marathon  I beat a local fast lady by 3mins. Yet she's done a 2:42 marathon.

But lost to a guy by 20secs over 5k, who has a very slightly slower half marathon time (10secs?) . And his last marathon was 2:49....

22/03/2013 at 12:45
AgentGinger wrote (see)

Also ran, very impressed with the sub 3 just a week after running 3:04

How much did that hurt?

AG, it hurt, but it didn't hurt as much as not going sub3 the week before which I had set my heart on. It was a long story, got injured, little running possible, went camping/trekking out in Jordan and got ill and lost load of weight. I really shouldn't have run Leicester but wasn't able to engage my brain - it was a last minute decision to run it. Then after the disappointment, I had another brain failure and ran Abingdon. That was touch and go all the way around. Ouch. Not recommended!

Are we allowed to hijack a DF3 thread?

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 12:47
seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 12:48

if you  ran 3:04 at tenby then you have a much faster marathon in you somewhere.if you get it a coming together right for the day

22/03/2013 at 12:59

seren, looks like he ran 3:02 in Tenby.

No races before 2012? Have you really been racing less than a year Also Ran? Wow.

and might i add. Wow.

22/03/2013 at 13:04

You fast improvers make me sick.

Some of us take the more "scenic" route up the pace scale

22/03/2013 at 13:09
You fast improvers will never beat 11 hours to 4 hours............
seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 13:09

right 3:02 in tenby.......then there lots more in his legs to look forward to

22/03/2013 at 13:15
Maybe I was the marshal stood at the 20 mile water station holding a bottle of water 9 hours after the first guy went through.
22/03/2013 at 13:21

No running or sports background since leaving school. BUT, lots and lots of walking (anything from half and hour to 16 hours). So ask me to do a half or full marathon and I will be there, but 5k and 10k is a whole new world of hurt that I'm not yet equipped for.

AG - I started in Jan last year, inspired by some women who I was on a trekking trip with. They were running fanatics. It was one of those things I had to get out of my system - so far it has stuck.

SG - Now come on SG -I wouldn't exactly call you HM improvement scenic

22/03/2013 at 13:36

Love it Sussex, 9hours just up until 20miles? Was the person injured, old, or just plain badly trained/stubborn!

This is why I like marshalling the half I do. Even with such a hard course, the last runner will be past us at the 10mile marker by about 2hr 45 or so.

Also, if you look at my power of 10 page, it suggests my first half marathon was 2009 and 79mins.

I'd actually done 14 halfs before then, starting at 1hr 41

22/03/2013 at 13:57
I don't know Stevie I shall ask......................Seren, apologies that I don't know the full story. Were you injured or what?
22/03/2013 at 14:31
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

"So ask me to do a half or full marathon and I will be there, but 5k and 10k is a whole new world of hurt"

Errr, treat it like a HM, then when you get to 5k ....... stop????

You dont have to set records for everything you know!

I like you thinking. I don't share your thinking (tried running it through my brain - did not compute) , but yes I like your thinking

seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 14:43
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
You fast improvers will never beat 11 hours to 4 hours............

wrong way around ... got the 4 hr the year before the 11.

and i didn't keep the marshals out as it was before the cutoffs.....I even got trophies as it was a british and international race and i was 2nd female overall ( only 7 in it mind)......but that last 26 miles was the hardest thing i have done......injured ....only that the hours of training i put in were still not enough to stop my body from breaking down.....

it was a race i wanted to to and a race i trained for 9 months for.......Imaybe i underestimated the race or overestimated my bodies capabalities.....but unless you try you never know what you can achieve......I found where my bodies capabilities lie.........

41 to 60 of 286 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.