I will be very sad when the Brighton marathon is over .....

61 to 80 of 322 messages
seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 13:09

right 3:02 in tenby.......then there lots more in his legs to look forward to

22/03/2013 at 13:15
Maybe I was the marshal stood at the 20 mile water station holding a bottle of water 9 hours after the first guy went through.
22/03/2013 at 13:21

No running or sports background since leaving school. BUT, lots and lots of walking (anything from half and hour to 16 hours). So ask me to do a half or full marathon and I will be there, but 5k and 10k is a whole new world of hurt that I'm not yet equipped for.

AG - I started in Jan last year, inspired by some women who I was on a trekking trip with. They were running fanatics. It was one of those things I had to get out of my system - so far it has stuck.

SG - Now come on SG -I wouldn't exactly call you HM improvement scenic

22/03/2013 at 13:36

Love it Sussex, 9hours just up until 20miles? Was the person injured, old, or just plain badly trained/stubborn!

This is why I like marshalling the half I do. Even with such a hard course, the last runner will be past us at the 10mile marker by about 2hr 45 or so.

Also, if you look at my power of 10 page, it suggests my first half marathon was 2009 and 79mins.

I'd actually done 14 halfs before then, starting at 1hr 41

22/03/2013 at 13:57
I don't know Stevie I shall ask......................Seren, apologies that I don't know the full story. Were you injured or what?
22/03/2013 at 14:31
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

"So ask me to do a half or full marathon and I will be there, but 5k and 10k is a whole new world of hurt"

Errr, treat it like a HM, then when you get to 5k ....... stop????

You dont have to set records for everything you know!

I like you thinking. I don't share your thinking (tried running it through my brain - did not compute) , but yes I like your thinking

seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 14:43
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
You fast improvers will never beat 11 hours to 4 hours............

wrong way around ... got the 4 hr the year before the 11.

and i didn't keep the marshals out as it was before the cutoffs.....I even got trophies as it was a british and international race and i was 2nd female overall ( only 7 in it mind)......but that last 26 miles was the hardest thing i have done......injured ....only that the hours of training i put in were still not enough to stop my body from breaking down.....

it was a race i wanted to to and a race i trained for 9 months for.......Imaybe i underestimated the race or overestimated my bodies capabalities.....but unless you try you never know what you can achieve......I found where my bodies capabilities lie.........

seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 14:44

I'm following stevies advice and going shorter but faster this year

22/03/2013 at 14:51

What exactly was this race set up Seren?

Was it covering 50 or so miles, and then ending with an official marathon that Sussex was marshalling at?

Either way if you could do a marathon in 4hours, and this one took 11hours,I think that sums up the world of pain you had entered.

Sounds miserable.

seren nos    pirate
22/03/2013 at 15:01

sussex wasn't there....... he was just having his little digs as I had stated that you should go by the time to equate the effort people put in....

It was the second marathon at the end of a double ironman........the hills on the 232 mile bike course killed my quads..tried running it off on the first marathon but the quads just seized..that and the hullicinations that saw me wandering off course in the mud and woods slowed me down.....never known the desire to stop and sleep in the rainy mud ever before.....

Msybe I should have not entered and just left it to the young natural athletes...but to actual finish it meant something to me....so i can understand how those finishing a marathon who aren't naturally suited to it must feel.....even if they takes 6/7 hours.......and how cheap the digs are that well you didn't actually deserve a medal as you were slow.......if it was up to some then you shouldn't have been allowed to enter..........

as long as people finish within the races cutoffs then they have completed it  and deserve their finishing medal as much as anyone else......its a personal achievement.only the individual will know if they worked hard enough for it

22/03/2013 at 15:21

I can accept most of that, but i'll never understand why you'd put yourself through all that! Surely a marathon or a slightly longer ultra is challenge enough for anyone!

I don't see many fast blokes getting through a marathon campaign without an injury breakdown or 2, let alone all that extra stuff on top!

I can understand entirely that completing a marathon to many is simply a once in a lifetime tick off job.

And it's a very worthy achievement in my eyes, in the way that completing a 5k to 10k isn't.

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 15:24
22/03/2013 at 15:26

And I was the one left holding the bottle at the (2nd) 20 mile marker for her, in the dark and the rain.

Everyone who took part in that event pushed themselves to the absolute limit.  You know someone has tried their hardest when they can't even get back to their accommodation 300m away after they have finished.  I think it is fair to say that the two of us carried / dragged her from the finish line.

22/03/2013 at 15:28

So then guys, I'm doing a 24 mile event in four weeks time.  My longest training session since Christmas has been 8 miles.  What training do you all think I should be doing in the next three weeks before the taper?  I'd be interested to hear opinions and please be honest about it

22/03/2013 at 15:39

Ouch! I'd suggest trying to get your long run up as much as you can, however slow.

Maybe the progression of 12,15,18?

Much quicker step up than you'd normally do, but with a mere 3 weeks of training time, you don't want to be entering that race without having the security of good long runs!

22/03/2013 at 15:39

(ps taking your post at face value, and assuming it's not some satire on those who leave themselves woefully undertrained)

22/03/2013 at 15:45
SuperCaz wrote (see)

So then guys, I'm doing a 24 mile event in four weeks time.  My longest training session since Christmas has been 8 miles.  What training do you all think I should be doing in the next three weeks before the taper?  I'd be interested to hear opinions and please be honest about it

But Caz - you're not running. You're swimming it, right? Isnt that a completely different kettle of fish?

22/03/2013 at 15:50

Emmy, stop spoiling my fun!

Yes, I am genuinely doing a 24 mile event and have done a longest swim of 8 miles since Christmas.

22/03/2013 at 15:50

I've got DF3's training book here. You have done 8 miles in training. On the day repeat that 3 times. It's very simple

22/03/2013 at 15:51

you are going to be so bored.

sooo bored.

22/03/2013 at 15:53

Don't be silly.  I will have lots of people to chat to and my support buddy won't shut up.

61 to 80 of 322 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.