If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

41 to 60 of 82 messages
12/04/2013 at 15:23

if there is one thing I can guarantee KK - I would not move back to Cwmbran.  it was a shithole when I left and in the intervening 40+ years hasn't done anything to tempt me back permanently.  if I go back to Wales it will be somewhere a damn sight more attractive than Cwmbran!!  

kittenkat    pirate
12/04/2013 at 15:32
fat buddha wrote (see)

if there is one thing I can guarantee KK - I would not move back to Cwmbran.  it was a shithole when I left and in the intervening 40+ years hasn't done anything to tempt me back permanently.  if I go back to Wales it will be somewhere a damn sight more attractive than Cwmbran!!  

Ha, I know Cwmbran, and fully agree with your decision!

Edited: 12/04/2013 at 15:33
12/04/2013 at 15:40

Cornwall or the Dordogne (just getting details now). You get shed loads more for your money in France

12/04/2013 at 15:44
groovy wrote (see)

Cornwall or the Dordogne (just getting details now). You get shed loads more for your money in France

you used to get shedloads more a few years ago.....  

12/04/2013 at 15:52

Love living in a small village in the heart of Lancashire.

Seaside is 10 miles to the west (and much of it is lovely with the obvious expection of Blackpool), west pennines and yorkshire dales on the east and lakes only 60 minutes away on the M6. Manchester and Liverpool nearby if you want a trip to a city.

The other half is from Shropshire and can see the attraction of living there.

12/04/2013 at 22:04
Peter Collins wrote (see)

If I made comments about places outside London that were of the same tone as the comments people make about London, I'd rightly be shot down. Every place has its good and bad points. Live with it.

Tell me about it.  If i said xx place was a sh*t hole, people would go mental.

I have a very happy life in London so it's can't be that bad!

12/04/2013 at 22:25
I live in Devon and I'm about 10 miles from Dartmoor and 5 miles from the sea. I like it here, but personally I'd love to live in London but know I couldn't afford it. Well, I could but I would be out in Zone 5 or something which isn't what I'd want. Instead of living there, we visit regularly which I appreciate isn't the same. Obviously it's busy but the things going on in London outweigh the negatives in my view.

Other than that, I'd quite like somewhere like Lucerne or Annecy.
12/04/2013 at 23:55
Italy. What's not to love about it.
WR
13/04/2013 at 06:46
Dubai is pretty good, no intentions of returning to the UK any time soon!
13/04/2013 at 07:28
Lived in Dubai, Hyderabad, Johannesburg and London. London has the worst weather but overall best of everything, which is why I came back

City by choice. Countryside is lovely and all that but I have to have good coffee.
Somewhere like Vicenza in Italy would be next though, if I could afford a second home. Best breakfast pastries ever....
13/04/2013 at 07:32
Lake District. Although being from lancashire I'm half an hour from Manchester, an hour from Liverpool and Leeds, 40 minutes from the Lake District and 5 minutes from the Pennines.

Love London, New York and Las Vegas though. If I had to pick a big city it would be London.
13/04/2013 at 07:43

Never been to Cornwall. It's on my list to see.

I'd pick Scottish Highlands. It's just the raw beauty that I love up there. 

I would love any mountain area. Norway would be amazing too especially for it being always voted for the top 5 countries to live in  no matter what the  category. But I've never been to Norway. I've been to Scotland and at the moment, it is Scotland that is calling me. Shame threre aren't any jobs in the highlands. Edinburgh would do just fine too.

13/04/2013 at 07:44

OR near the great lakes in the states!

13/04/2013 at 08:53

KK \ FB ... come to North Wales ... we have RHYL !!!!!

13/04/2013 at 09:14
Abersoch ?
13/04/2013 at 09:36

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

yeah but there are shelf stackers in tesco who are happy with their lot in life too. 

You think so?

No one would stack shelves in Tescos or any other dead end job if they had a choice. 

Edited: 13/04/2013 at 09:36
kittenkat    pirate
13/04/2013 at 09:45
Bruce C wrote (see)

KK \ FB ... come to North Wales ... we have RHYL !!!!!

I have actually been quite a few times and we did the Welsh Castles Relay last year

kittenkat    pirate
13/04/2013 at 09:46

I have an O Level in Welsh, although I have forgotten most of it!

13/04/2013 at 10:13

You think so?

No one would stack shelves in Tescos or any other dead end job if they had a choice. 

You say that but look how many wasters are out there quite happy to live on the meagre rations handed out by the government just so they dont have to get a job.

Also with regards to the Tesco shelf stackers, show me the person holding the gun to their head preventing them from learning another trade or applying for other jobs.

Some people just lack ambition ...... not only on the employment front but on where they live. Some people are proud to have lived their entire life in the one area. Quite why you are proud to not want to see what else is out there in life is beyond me but there you go.

I have to agree with that statement. I was one of them people working in a job I didn't like in fast food. I decided this isn't the way I want my life going.I left school without any GCSE's at all! So off my own back I knuckled down passed all my GCSE's by hard work getting the money to do it and with studying. I then passed a few A levels and have now studied at Oxford Uni. I now have a career lined up. Not because I am lucky, not because I knew the right people but because I kicked some ass and wanted to better myself. I'm not looking for a pat on the back but I am so proud of myself and you can really achieve anything if you put your mind to it. This whole mindset then rubs off on anything you do!

So in the future, because of hard work and commitment, I will be able to have the choice of where I would like to live

kittenkat    pirate
13/04/2013 at 10:32

I think it's ok for some people to have no ambition and I think that some people are ok with their lot.

41 to 60 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.