Illegally downloading films, games, Music - your views?

21 to 40 of 67 messages
17/09/2013 at 13:17

i went to stay at a hotel the other night and it was £300 a night, a bit pricey so instead of paying for it i stole a key card in and used the room.  Its ok though as i was never going to pay £300 and they werent at full capacity.   If they want to stop me they should reduce the prices. Thats ok right?

17/09/2013 at 13:28
Snap! wrote (see)
it doesn't give me the right to rip it off.

And I agree with that.

I know what I am posting makes me sound like Captain Jack Sparrow of digital downloading - but I'm not. I'm just arguin one facet of the argument. I pay for Netflix and NowTV and they are great, easy to use subscription services offering great value.

On the ther hand, as a software developer I also understand the need to prevent our goods being used by those who haven't paid for them. However what is clear is that our model needs to change to accommodate a change in consumer behaviour.

And it's inevitable. In the coming years, people just won't own this sort of content, it will be licensed and all stored online. CDs, DVD and Blu Ray will become niche, much like vinyl, and everything will be stored in the cloud.

So in my view, the industry is taking the wrong approach. Rather than spending so much trying to prevent piracy, take that money and invest in future technologies which will satisfy the studio and the consumer.

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 13:30
17/09/2013 at 13:31

DeanR7 wrote (see)

i went to stay at a hotel the other night and it was £300 a night, a bit pricey so instead of paying for it i stole a key card in and used the room.  Its ok though as i was never going to pay £300 and they werent at full capacity.   If they want to stop me they should reduce the prices. Thats ok right?

Of course... thats exactly the same thing...

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 13:32
17/09/2013 at 13:38

why is it different, because its physical not digital?

Your example is that you dont value the product at price they set , neither do i.    so ultimately whats different?

17/09/2013 at 13:40

In 1973 I bought an LP record of Hunky Dory, later on I bought a tape for the car and now it's out on CDs I just downloaded it myself, having bought the music twice technically I suppose I broke copyright but I have no problem with it.

17/09/2013 at 13:41

DeanR7: As long as you change the sheets and push the hoover around.

17/09/2013 at 13:44

In your example, I would exercise my right to choose a cheaper alternative and book in at a travelodge or premier inn, because they are a) Usually accessible to transport links, and b) Priced cheaper

I reiterate that i agree its morally wrong to do it. But people do it and you won't stop it, ever. So they should do something innovative to encourage legal means instead.

If I needed a map, I could either use a free Google map, or go and pay for a road atlas or OS map. Google make their money in different ways through innovation. Why couldn't movie studios do the same thing?

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 13:44
17/09/2013 at 14:11

Good points mattywarr (what is it good for absolutely nothing)

17/09/2013 at 14:14
Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

Good points mattywarr (what is it good for absolutely nothing)

I can't tell if thats sarcasm or not?!

17/09/2013 at 14:19
This debate is interesting because some are arguing about the legality and others about the morality.
As we all know, there are plenty of things that are legal and yet immoral, google and amazon and their tax dodging is a good example.
All big companies dodge tax, even music and film companies. So they steal from everyone and only a few consumers steal from them. Seems like lenient karma to me.
Governments allow tax evasion by big business and even negotiates discounts for them, but if we are late with a tax return- BOOM! Big fines and no discussion. Again legal but immoral.
The small must take whatever crumbs they can from the tables of the big, because the big people make the rules to suit them- not us.

Rant over lol
17/09/2013 at 14:21

so illegal downloaders = robin hood?

17/09/2013 at 14:24
mattywarr wrote (see)

In your example, I would exercise my right to choose a cheaper alternative and book in at a travelodge or premier inn, .

so in your example you should exercise your right to choose a different film that is worth your money at the cinema and not download. 

after all your only problem is you dont value the product at the price point set.

17/09/2013 at 14:24

Interesting point there, Flob. I hadn't considered it that way.

But of course, "An eye for an eye and the world goes blind"

17/09/2013 at 14:28

flob - next time you are in starbucks and no one is looking you should put some goodies in your pockets.....they owe you due to their tax avoidance  

17/09/2013 at 14:34

Tax avoidance isn't stealing, and our government isn't allowing tax evasion at all.

17/09/2013 at 15:36
DeanR7 wrote (see)
mattywarr wrote (see)

In your example, I would exercise my right to choose a cheaper alternative and book in at a travelodge or premier inn, .

so in your example you should exercise your right to choose a different film that is worth your money at the cinema and not download. 

after all your only problem is you dont value the product at the price point set.

No thats not my only "Problem". I've tried to elaborate more in other posts but I guess I'm not doing it very eloquently.

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 16:08
17/09/2013 at 16:51

I genuinely think martinwarr (what is it goof for ) has made some decent points. But the Premier Inn one wasn't a good one.

17/09/2013 at 17:05

As someone who works in an 'information industry', I believe that people should always be paid for work they do, whatever it is. Having said that, the internet muddies the water - I did once think that, for example, newspapers were too late, that the bird had flown and people expected stuff that's online to be free. I'm not sure that's the case now - I still prefer reading actual physical newspapers, but I know the number of people like me are declining, and lots of people will pay to download papers, mags and books onto their various digital platforms, so I think publishing companies and others can make it pay. I guess there'll always be people who'll find a way to download anything they want for free, and good luck to them in a way for being so determined. However, like someone said, it's real people's livelihoods we're talking about. What companies that have stuff to download or peruse on the net need to be is cute about what they offer - that means in terms of pricing as well as what's in the actual product.

17/09/2013 at 17:05

This was my favourite recent story about how a small gaming company tried to deal with piracy piracy game

17/09/2013 at 17:52

Just had a look at Blinkbox, and they've got Game Of Thrones. It's cheaper than BluRay and I could have it now. But...

If I buy the BluRay I can do all of the following:

• watch it without an internet connection (on the train, on holiday)
  • watch it on any device (with a BluRay drive)
  • lend it to my friends
  • sell it if I get bored of it
  • still watch it if the company I bought it off goes bust

Not sure how much of the above I could do with a downloaded movie / TV program (I know music is no problem). Blinkbox say it's "yours to own and enjoy forever", but I'm not sure what the implications of that are.

21 to 40 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.