In-laws

14 messages
13/04/2013 at 12:43

I have the perfect in-laws

they just turn up, have a cup of tea, leave a selection of regional ales and/or bottle of malt whisky, then go.

they also have a brilliant dog.

they also have no interest in me as a person, or my life.

brilliant. what are your in-laws like?

13/04/2013 at 14:31
Brilliant too. My mother-in-law and I have similar tastes in most things, including politics. I can happily spend hours in their company, even if Mr Chloella has gotten bored and gone to watch telly in another room.

Like yours they always have some kind of gifts to hand over and she is a brilliant cook.

No dog though, which is a major failing. I always drop hints when we visit.
13/04/2013 at 14:42

i don't speak to mine  - bit awkward for my husband i guess  - long story  - life is better for me without them in mine  - kids see them  - means i get lots of time on regular intervals when  my husband goes there for dinner  - bonus for me 

13/04/2013 at 16:51
Mine are there for pleasantries at Christmas etc, never a bad word, its just we're just not related or friends
seren nos    pirate
13/04/2013 at 16:56

my mother in law is very quiet and deaf and so is hard to have converstaions with....she is a lot older than me and we don't have anything in common.......

But she has never interrferred with my bringing up of the kids and never argued or been nasty ever to me and so i am very grateful....so many people get hassle......

my brothers and sisters in law are a mixed bag...but my one great neice is lovely and we have 9 great nieces and nephews form my hubbies side so thats a nice thing

On the other hand i have a brilliant relationship with my mother who i adore

13/04/2013 at 17:00

11,000 miles away

seren nos    pirate
13/04/2013 at 17:28

i actually moved her to 40 metres up the road from me last year RicF...

I think its wonderful and my OH doesn't seem to mind either

13/04/2013 at 17:45

My in-laws are lovely - but they drive me bloody barmy!

13/04/2013 at 21:47

at which point do you stop trying to impress them/make them happy and just carry on with your life?

seren nos    pirate
14/04/2013 at 06:30

from the first moment..be yourself

14/04/2013 at 09:05

For much of my marriage I got on perfectly well with my M-in-L who did, to be fair, live a couple of thousand miles away. After the divorce I maintained basic contact (occasional chat by phone, birthday and crimble cards etc). But then she became a 7th Day Adventist and took to ramming the bible down my throat all the time so I cut her off. Muttley Jnr did likewise so she's gained a bunch of God-bothering friends but lost her grandchild. Pity.

14/04/2013 at 17:17

my mother-in-law is also an EXCELLENT cook. like amazing.

i should make clear that they aren't actually my in-laws, as we live in sin.

14/04/2013 at 23:44
Outlaws then.
16/04/2013 at 19:34
Never met mine as my husband does not speak to his mother!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.