Inappropriate language

Grrr

41 to 55 of 55 messages
03/10/2012 at 07:59

Stevie.

Stevie G . wrote (see)
Johnny again wrote (see)

Her'll be fine

Surely noone has ever used this phrase ever.

A neighbour used that exact phrase when he was talking about his tractor a few weeks ago.

The use of "her" instead of "she" is normal around here.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
03/10/2012 at 08:00
runs-with-dogs wrote (see)

My partner's family is from old Scottish farming stock and they have some very weird phrases. They say 'in-a-blow' or 'doon-a-blow' instead of 'below' or 'under'. When comparing, they say they'd 'rather have this one as that one', not 'than that one', which really bugs me. They say someone's 'old getting' instead of 'getting old'. And they swap vowels and consonants about with no apparent consistency, sometimes calling a tarp (tarpaulin) a harp, a crane a cran, saying something's wat instead of wet, and loads of other annoying things. So I don't agree with people who say linguistic standards have declined in recent years, as my father-in-law is 80 and despite being perfectly intelligent, his English is just CRAP!

I'm from Scottish farming stock.  Those are some examples of dialect which I use daily.  I can speak perfectly correct English, but I am proud of my heritage and our language and dialect.  

03/10/2012 at 08:19

My missus always says a big of 'crisp'. Obivously in Yorkshire their bags only contain one large crisp as apposed to several smaller crisps...

03/10/2012 at 08:27
Johnny again wrote (see)

Stevie.

Stevie G . wrote (see)
Johnny again wrote (see)

Her'll be fine

Surely noone has ever used this phrase ever.

A neighbour used that exact phrase when he was talking about his tractor a few weeks ago.

The use of "her" instead of "she" is normal around here.

needs stamping out quick smart

Sounds utterly ridiculous.

The personification of an object in the use of "she" is stupid enough, but her'll is just plain idiotic.

and ting.

03/10/2012 at 09:28
Stevie G . wrote (see)

The personification of an object in the use of "she" is stupid enough, but her'll is just plain idiotic.

I've never really understood referring to objects as ''she''.  This happens quite a lot on bike forums. Get over it mate, your bike might be aesthetically pleasing but you're not gonna shag it.  Are you?

seren nos    pirate
03/10/2012 at 09:41

many languages including welsh use she and he for objects,..............I thought more used it than didn't use it.......

The only problem i discovered in welsh is that the north and south walians seem to disagree as to wether a pub is female or male

03/10/2012 at 09:48
PhilPub wrote (see)

I've never really understood referring to objects as ''she''.  This happens quite a lot on bike forums. Get over it mate, your bike might be aesthetically pleasing but you're not gonna shag it.  Are you?

well, most people aren't:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7095134.stm

03/10/2012 at 09:50
seren nos wrote (see)

many languages including welsh use she and he for objects,..............I thought more used it than didn't use it.......

The only problem i discovered in welsh is that the north and south walians seem to disagree as to wether a pub is female or male

latin (and hence probably all Romance languages I would assume, including French) is an example of a language which has masculine

Urdu is another example

03/10/2012 at 09:58
Too Much Water wrote (see)

latin (and hence probably all Romance languages I would assume, including French) is an example of a language which has masculine

Urdu is another example

i think all slavic languages attach gender to inanimate objects.

03/10/2012 at 14:21

Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

03/10/2012 at 15:22

seren nos    pirate
03/10/2012 at 15:45
Feral wrote (see)

Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

But common sense means even if you don't know the difference.you know not to eat the stuff

03/10/2012 at 19:05
Too Much Water wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

Urdu is another example

whoops, that will learn me for typing too fast, should have said :

latin (and hence probably all Romance languages I would assume, including French) is an example of a language which has masculine and feminine nouns, depending on the word

Urdu is another example

03/10/2012 at 19:27

Slightly off topic but the discussion reminds me of classroom humour

Small boy points at picture in book " a frickin' elephant!"

Horrified teacher "I beg your pardon? What did you just say?"

Small boy says "a frickin' elephant!"

Teacher marches up to boy's desk to have a word with him and looks at the book to see a picture of "African Elephant".

03/10/2012 at 20:55

I have teenagers and It's the transantlantic influence. I have heard lush, gotta and the recent one is 'It's sick' apparently that means something is really good. Ha!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 55 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.