Injury Free Zone (NOT)

5 messages
Cil
02/08/2002 at 14:17
Hello all. I have just discovered this site having been running now for almost a year. I went straight for the LFM to raise money for the MS Society. I managed to get off to a good start (never run before in my life) only to suffer a nasty ankle injury which put me out of action for 4 months. I managed to get back on the road 9 weeks before the race and completed it in under 6 hours raising over £3100, despite an injury two days before to my knee (twisted knee cap).

The ankle, knee and back (being treated for at the moment) I can cope with but my question is, does anyone have any advice on blisters and how to prevent them. I find these far more painful than any of the above. I have tried the socks, the plasters, the gel and vaseline all to no avail. All suggestions gratefully received.
02/08/2002 at 19:03
Well - it's an expensive solution - but I use 'Duoderm Extra thin' ( no it's not a new brand of condom!)

It's a pressure sore dressing - buy it in 15cms square patches - ask the pharmicist as it's not on display - a box of 10 will cost c£45. It'll stay on for 5-7 days - put it on the night before a run - get someone to do it for you if you can as it's important it doesn't wrinkle. Then when you go out vaseline over it. If the edges are a bit tacky - put a plastic tape dressing over them -

I only use it when I go over 13 miles as thats the cut off between me not getting blisters and getting them.

I used it for the first time in the FLM and didn't have a single blister. It's also great if you have blistered badly / rubbed raw and want to keep on training but need something to protect you - (I find Compeed useless!)
03/08/2002 at 16:16
When I used to get nasty blisters I always used neat lavender oil directly on the blister before applying an ordinary plaster. It's the best, works each time! apply a couple of times on the day you get the blister and within 24hrs you should find it's already starting to heal.
07/08/2002 at 19:51
Try Zinc Oxide. Zinc oxide doesn't disolve in water like vaseline or some of the other ointments.

Good Luck
07/08/2002 at 20:29
I changed socks. Changed brands actually, went to the 'Thousand mile sock'. They guaranteed no blisters, and it worked for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.