Interview Help ' Dicuss possible scenarios'

Any advice from fellow runners?

21 to 34 of 34 messages
28/03/2014 at 05:44

If you need 48 hours to prepare for a role in your own organisation, it sounds wrong for you

28/03/2014 at 08:15
Runnin man wrote (see)

If you need 48 hours to prepare for a role in your own organisation, it sounds wrong for you

I'd say take great care, if my Company gave me 48 hours to prepare for something like this, and I wasn't absolutely top rank sparkling, I'd look for another job fairly sharpish

28/03/2014 at 08:21
Runnin man wrote (see)

Why? My organisation has hundreds of different roles. If you wanted to move to a completely different role to the one you're in you might need to do a fair bit of interview preparation.

kittenkat    pirate
28/03/2014 at 08:22

I have no fucking idea what you're all talking about.

28/03/2014 at 08:23

It might be a way to find out what you know and don't know, could be a good selection process for a cull. I agree though you should know what goes on in your own company.

28/03/2014 at 08:31
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

It might be a way to find out what you know and don't know, could be a good selection process for a cull. I agree though you should know what goes on in your own company.

How much you know abut a certain role rather depends on the size of the company. Changing jobs in my organisation can be much the same as going to work for someone else.

And you might know the top line stuff but you wouldn't necessarily know a great deal of detail about how a particular department, or a job within that department fits into the overall targets.

28/03/2014 at 08:41
Screamapillar wrote (see)
Runnin man wrote (see)

Why? My organisation has hundreds of different roles. If you wanted to move to a completely different role to the one you're in you might need to do a fair bit of interview preparation.

In this case the person said I know the team as I'm an internal member of staff, I'd say it was reasonable to assume knowledge

28/03/2014 at 10:42

Well it depends - if an external candidate would be given time to prepare, it would hardly be fair not to offer the same to an internal candidate.

28/03/2014 at 10:50

It sounds to me like the non-standard interview format (no formal presentation, etc.) is designed not to catch the candidate out, but precisely becauseit's short notice and an internal candidate. There probably aren't even any other candidates.

29/03/2014 at 20:13
So if you don't get it you must be really sh*t
Let us know how you get on and good luck
29/03/2014 at 20:57
I think times and thins have changed big time with interview processes and every company is different

In my work I have regular co workers (who are on 16-30 hour contracts) who will be given this upon a CV screen by both HR and relevant department manager

All day assessment which involves case study + pitching a product to sell (managers from departments assessing candidates, making notes on how they talk, interact with others, knowledge enthusiasm etc etc.

End of day mangers sit and discuss candidates and THEN select for formal interview

1-1 interview with manager for desired / appropriate department if them, ticks all boxes

Grandfather interview on shop floor working for upto 2 hours. Again observed

Yes, for a minimum wage job.......
29/03/2014 at 21:01
Everywhere is different.

But 48 hours IS a short time for an external posting (for many reasons) but not so much for internal posting unless it is a completely new department in which case I would say that's probably a little tight if you need to produce something

If I went for my direct line managers job which I am more than competent to do (and even then on a current succession plan) I would still be given a weeks notice and complete all formalities in line with all other potential candidates
01/04/2014 at 13:39

Life's Too Short to worry about guff like this. Did he/she get the job?

04/04/2014 at 06:50

Clearly he/she was not quite up to the prep and has been uncovered as an incompetent, then duly fired, is probably now unable to respond as living from carrier bags and sleeping rough. Moral of the story greed is not good.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.