Is there a good way to make someone redundant?

OK, it's the job that's made redundant, but you know what I mean.

21 to 25 of 25 messages
12/06/2013 at 12:39

Not like this....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22861577

12/06/2013 at 14:15

Blisters, does this employee happen to hold a fire arms license by any chance...just a thought.

12/06/2013 at 15:12

If I was making someone reduntant, I wouldn't post it on a forum first...

15/06/2013 at 23:54

Treat them with respect. Try and have all the answers regarding when they'll be finished up, when you'll expect them to work to and how much money they're going to get. Try and help with the tax, but you may not be able to answer all their tax questions as it can be complex.

Don't wallow too much in 'this is really hard for me' as its not about you, its about them, but you can express regret and explain why they're being made redundant (presumably business conditions) and that its not related to their performance.

It can get tricky if you have to choose between different people as to how's going and who's staying, but this doesn't sound like its the case here.

Its generally good to keep the initial meeting short as they probably just want to get out, but provide some written information with all the details and an opportunity to meet at some later date for further discussion. But be sensitive and if they do want to talk it through then don't close it down unless you're going around in circles and feel that there's nothing to be gained by continuing.

Edited: 15/06/2013 at 23:58
18/06/2013 at 03:10

A decent payout and advice not to work in either an industry or company that's going the way of the dinosaurs. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.