1 to 20 of 66 messages
kittenkat    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:01
AndrewSmith    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:03

ou

kittenkat    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:03

who would accept a donated organ if there life depended on it, but isn't prepared to donate their own.

Thoughts? Should only the people who are willing to donate, be able to receive?

Does anyone not donate on religious grounds?

(I'm an organ doner btw, just wondering about the ethics generally)

kittenkat    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:04
Anyone wish to donate a brain to Smiffy?
27/11/2009 at 08:13
How would people with diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis fit in KK? They can't donate but can recieve organs. You'd be suprised how many organs have to be turned down because the donors family state the organs can only go to a person of the same religion.
AndrewSmith    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:13

...or some legs to the puss

27/11/2009 at 08:15
Just nod if you can hear me
AndrewSmith    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:16

When I was younger I wrote a short sci fi story about organ donations. It was about a couch potato who had abused his body then got a heart transplant and a second chance. He carried on abusing his body and the new heart so the 'organ retreival squad' came round and cut it back out again.

kittenkat    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:28
Gizzard Puke wrote (see)
How would people with diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis fit in KK? They can't donate but can recieve organs. You'd be suprised how many organs have to be turned down because the donors family state the organs can only go to a person of the same religion.
To me I think it's about the willingness to donate, even if their organs would be rejected. I think that's different to people who just can't be bothered or say, yuck, don't like the sound of that. How many of them would reject an organ if needed?
27/11/2009 at 08:43
kittenkat wrote (see)

What have you donated, kk? Or do you mean you're willing to be an organ donor?
27/11/2009 at 08:44

Well it's like the current advert says - if you are prepared to accept an organ then why aren't you prepared to donate one?

Gizzard - I'm not sure it has any legal binding once a person is dead and they are having to deal with the relatives, but I'm pretty sure that when I signed the organ donor register they were very clear that your organs had to be donated unconditionally. You couldn't have  preferences or exclusions as to the recipient.

I'm sure we all have ideas of where we would and wouldn't like our organs to go but it is up to the medics. And quite rightly too.

Crash Hamster    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:46
kittenkat wrote (see)

(I'm an organ doner btw,

mmmmm, organ doner <drools>
27/11/2009 at 08:48

if you  are prepared to have an organ you should be prepared to give em too.

who wants my lungs?

Crash Hamster    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:50
Actually, never understood why people wouldn't want to donate; it's a really easy wasy to achieve a smug, satisfied feeling without actually doing much. I give blood, am on the bone marrow and organ donor registers and get a warm fuzzy feeling because I'm doing good, a regular boost to my hard training sessions and a supply of free biscuits (even if they are phasing out Tuc Sandwiches, though they are replacing them with crisps and Hula Hoops; mmm, which to choose?) What's not to like
27/11/2009 at 08:51

No kopite is getting my heart... cept Liverbird.. she can have my schlong too

27/11/2009 at 08:54
Corinth, I think you have a point there. No fekking Monkey Dons fan can have anything of mine. Presuming they have fans, that is
27/11/2009 at 08:56

I would  be prepared to donate anything the medical profession wants*, after all, I'll have finished with it. It's a free and unconditional gift, you can't add strings.

* with the exception of  my eyes. I know it's squeamish and uttterly irrational, but the idea of someone touching my eyes just freaks me out.

kittenkat    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:56
Womble wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

What have you donated, kk? Or do you mean you're willing to be an organ donor?

I meant I'm a registered doner.

I guess the same questions apply to blood donation. I must admit that I wasn't a blood doner, through nothing more than never got round to it and then I needed an emergency transfusion.

Since then I've been willing to give blood, but they won't have it; and I did feel a bit guilty about all the missed opportunities for donation.

kittenkat    pirate
27/11/2009 at 08:57
Crash Hamster wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

(I'm an organ doner btw,

I've never heard of anyone donating that bit! (well unattached)
flyaway    pirate
27/11/2009 at 09:01
Crash Hamster wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

(I'm an organ doner btw,

There would have to be rules though Crashie. Like, only receiving at 3am, with a minumum blood alcohol content....
1 to 20 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.