Is this a mad way to start?

55,821 to 55,840 of 55,997 messages
kittenkat    pirate
11/05/2013 at 10:04

Right, first run today after last weekend.

kittenkat    pirate
11/05/2013 at 19:48

Ok, this doesn't make sense. I've just got a call from the hospital  just now asking if I can make my regular scheduled  appointment with my gastroenteroligist, for a chronic condition I was diagnosed with over 10 years ago. I politely said that I was in remission and to free that space up for someone else (bearing in mind this is the NHS team that also have to tell people if they've been diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer, when I've got UC). They told me that if I refused the appointment then I have effectively taken myself off their patient list and they aren't responsible for me any more? WTF? People who my consultant needs to be fast tracked to him are dying, I'm just saying that I'm fine and they must go first but if I need help, it would be quite good to get some and I will make myself known.

Edited: 11/05/2013 at 19:50
kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 14:28

Arggh, ironically after this morning I need the appointment.

We went and manned the water station this morning, which the kids found hilarious. Well done everyone today, good to see so many of our regular customers back

12/05/2013 at 14:59

Hi KK, the hospital professionals usually want to satisfy themselves that you are O.K. rather than take your word for it. Something might be wrong and you might be trying to avoid attention. It is just a check-up after all. Clearly questions would be asked if doctors' generally took their patients word that things were O.K.

I take your point that effectively you are freeing up their time to deal with matters that in your view might be more immediate. Respectfully that is not your decision to make.

Administratively I disagree with the remit to take patients off the 'list' when refusing or missing an appointment. If it is known that you have a serious condition, in your case U.C., it is a nonsense to make you 'disappear' from the list. Better to offer, say, an annual appointment and flag you up as a 'refusal'.

Basically the NHS has a huge problem with costs of patients missing appointments but I don't think pretending diagnosed patients no longer exist it the answer.

I hope things are not too bad.

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 15:02

Thanks Martenkay, I'm going to ring them first thing tomorrow.

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 17:58

Freezer failure, anyone want to come round and eat a shed load of food?

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 19:41
Martenkay wrote (see)

Hi KK, the hospital professionals usually want to satisfy themselves that you are O.K. rather than take your word for it. Something might be wrong and you might be trying to avoid attention. It is just a check-up after all. Clearly questions would be asked if doctors' generally took their patients word that things were O.K.

I take your point that effectively you are freeing up their time to deal with matters that in your view might be more immediate. Respectfully that is not your decision to make.

Administratively I disagree with the remit to take patients off the 'list' when refusing or missing an appointment. If it is known that you have a serious condition, in your case U.C., it is a nonsense to make you 'disappear' from the list. Better to offer, say, an annual appointment and flag you up as a 'refusal'.

Basically the NHS has a huge problem with costs of patients missing appointments but I don't think pretending diagnosed patients no longer exist it the answer.

I hope things are not too bad.

Also the thing is that I am under a lot of pressure in work, it's pressure I can handle but taking a whole afternoon off for a hospital appointment that I don't need, would just pile the stess on. I was fine(ish) when they rang. So ironic that this morning something happened that worried both me and D.

I also didn't appreciate being rung on a Saturday evening by quite a pushy lady. I could imagine an old or vulnerable person feeling bullied by that approach, it's not right. I'm a trustee of the hospital, I might become a bit more active in that.

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 19:51

I've been with my consultant now for 11 years, he likes me and I like him. I also will speak out for the dedicated IBD nurses, they save a LOT of money for the NHS. I ring up, they get me in straight away.

I know how to self medicate for my condition, and I've always done the right thing. Ok, I'll be honest and say I wasn't receptive to whoever was tasked to phone me on a Saturday evening with this. But to be phoned out of the blue and told that if you don't turn up then you will be struck off...

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 19:52

Rant over... Let's see how this plays out when I phone tomorrow.

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 20:08

I don't think this is just UC, maybe I'm just tired and negative today? I'm going to watch the 1st Harry Potter with Thing 1 now and absorb her SAT wobbles.

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 21:06

Update: Soothed thing 1's SAT wobbles, cuddled Thing 2 to sleep when there's nothing tangibly 'wrong' and just overloaded by emotion as an 8 year girl would be given such a busy day in her little world. We're normally much lazier than this, I don't see my little people as needing to be anything 'special' on this planet, therefore whilst living amoung a load of doctors, soliciters and such like. I take an ACTIVE interest in not filling my kids time with music, drama, pole dancing etc... I want them to fuck off and roam the farm making their own entertainment. They can have one or two passions that I will indulge in, and if they stick it out, good on them.

kittenkat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 21:25

Oh and I phoned D and said that the girls don't wan't to go to breakfast club tomorrow. He's in charge because I have to get up early, however he's out at 'a job', so yet again it brings everything into perspective. But we've done this for years, so someone has died or will die maybe for him to be involved... You would think that on an emotional level we would drop everything and manouvere our life for what he's dealing with right now. But we can't, we've done this for years, and it's draining and we hide it from the kids obviously.

kittenkat    pirate
13/05/2013 at 06:29

1st world problems I know, right tea and perspective for breakfast.

The huge bag of plums I took out of fuckwit freezer managed do defrost all that plum juice over the kitchen worktop overnight. Only a few electrical appliances were saturated in this process.

How can I include cheese in my breakfast?

I know, I'm going to give Thing 1 a lucky cheese to take to her SATS. How cool is that?

kittenkat    pirate
13/05/2013 at 21:02

Update: I rang the hospital at 8:30 this morning when the 'central booking line' opened and they totally distanced themselves from whoever rang me on Saturday evening, my appointment is there and 'they' (he did mutter that it must be the newly formed *something* team) have no power to cancel appointments. So what do I go with if I was going to flag this up as a trustee? Errant power trip, stupid person, or someone in a position who through no fault of their own hasn't been trained properly?

I go for the last one, and then it gets thrown around the round robin of individuals in public sector organisations passing the blame. I know, I work in Education. I've put a stop to any of it here by accepting blame, even if it's not my fault. Which is proving to be a great tactic. As soon as you're the first one to apologise, it starts a chain...

We all make mistakes, so what?

Ultra AJH    pirate
14/05/2013 at 09:55

Hello. Got some days off. I do love my new job but it keeps me busy.

i will sort out JW next month, if that's ok. have booked a tough guy style 5k for the next day at horrendous expense so that should be fun.

hope fully I can actually finish a 5k

kittenkat    pirate
14/05/2013 at 10:07

Hey you! Yeah fine about the JW, let me know if you need me to do anything.

Glad the job is going well. I'm in later today as have some evening bookings. Just been for a run but my right calf is really tight.

Not very nice out there and Devon is in for a swamping today!

Ultra AJH    pirate
14/05/2013 at 10:14

I'm going swimming. Proper gone off running!

however, got a 5k handicap Thursday night and a 10 mile race on Sunday so I need to find the love soon.

Cs birthday today, I was going to cook something amazing but I might just let m&s do it for me.

14/05/2013 at 18:43

I let M&S do quite a lot for me, I also let Asda give me a huge rack of ribs yesterday in return for a little bit of money.

I'm still in work and want to go home, hope D has given the bunny next door its medicine.

(That wasn't a euphemism)

kittenkat    pirate
14/05/2013 at 19:47

Home! And tired.

Two lots of friends with kids have asked to come and stay with us at half term, so all the kids can get together and we can BBQ (well optimimism is everything) and put the world to rights over a few drinks.

However both D and I are working over half term and the kids are going to their grandparents!

Shame really, as it would have been nice to have a week just kicking back.

kittenkat    pirate
14/05/2013 at 19:49

Do you reckon everyone just wants a cheap holiday in Devon?

55,821 to 55,840 of 55,997 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.