Is this a mad way to start?

55,861 to 55,880 of 55,998 messages
kittenkat    pirate
19/05/2013 at 18:27

I'm a bit worried about my calf but won't moo about it.

So, I did the swim waves today, they should be up on our website at some point soon, they are already on the FB page, I know cos I put them there myself.

Then spent the rest of the day cleaning the house, I couldn't stand it any longer. Although we all took an hour out just now and had a walk on the farm. The kids MADE me climb a tree in my wellies, they are such bullies!

It is a fabulous tree through, I would defy anyone to be able resist climbing it. It obviously fell over many years ago and hes grown into the ground and up out of it several times. It's a freak and quite amazing, you can climb up and then walk along a horizontal section (if you're brave enough).

kittenkat    pirate
19/05/2013 at 20:08

Ok, just bumped into my neighbour (ex national league hockey player). Told her about my calf and she told me to wrap it tightly, as her physio would advise. She mentioned tubigrip, but I have none, so ever resourceful I've just used a boxing hand wrap. Loop over the big toe and wind upwards, secured by Velcro at the end... Bingo! You just need to un-roll it and roll it back the other way first.

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 20:17
20/05/2013 at 17:32

KK how is the calf holding up?  hope boxing it up is working, we have a great tree for swinging on in our nack garden, it's growing at about 45 degrees.  It's the only tree I know of with a swing hanging from the trunk!

Made it round the County Show, slightly soggy on the walk home - but we were still going quicker than the cars! 

Crazy weekend - only gone on now because Excel has crashed at work and I'm waiting for it to come back up so I can save the spreadsheet and then go home.

kittenkat    pirate
20/05/2013 at 18:21

Spoke to one of my running gurus today, has told me to lay off trying to run for a week. Boxing tape is good, I love the county show, haven't been since my kids were young.

Came home to a call from my GP, bloods taken at hospital on Thurs came back. They're not happy about my thyroid function. I am quite darkly amused by the fact that every time they look at one immune system problem, they potentially find another one.

But I am in rude health for someone who's operating system isn't compatible with the hardware.

Also, I've found out that I made the team for The Welsh Castles and better still, I'm running leg 2 so I can just enjoy the rest of the weekend stress free (well still the good stress of wanting all our team to do well).

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 18:23
20/05/2013 at 20:41

Great news about the Welsh Castles, I made the team one year - but couldn't go . Way beyond me now.

kittenkat    pirate
21/05/2013 at 07:13

How is your running now?

kittenkat    pirate
21/05/2013 at 20:25

Got to work at 8.30 and left at 7.15.  I wish I'd left before I got there (SWIDT?)

21/05/2013 at 22:08

Running isn't too bad KK, not done any races for a while, but started back in Jan, by Feb I managed an 11mile night run over Dartmoor in 2hrs.  I've backed off on the running and increased the bike, but need to do more swimming as well.

kittenkat    pirate
22/05/2013 at 17:53

Join our open water swim sessions, they're ace (at Teignmouth). I didn't go last year but I think I'm going to start again this year.

kittenkat    pirate
23/05/2013 at 20:22

Another 11 hour work day. But I had some good news from my boss today.

Cole is having his x-ray tomorrow so at least we'll have some answers. The kids are going to their Cornish grandparents over half term as we're both working. I'll miss them but it's important for them to have a close relationship with their grandparents, so many kids don't for various reasons.

I haven't run all week, I'm hoping that a bit of time off will let my calf heal in time to race well at the castles.

24/05/2013 at 08:13

Timing is a bit tricky for the OW at Teignmouth, little Miss WS does St Johns Cadets at Marsh Barton 7:00-8:30 on a Weds. 

Mrs WS has started to drop her off, but I get just enough time to go for a bike ride - only chance I get to go on the bike with a group who are faster than me. 

Hope it all goes well for furface today, hope the calf holds out for the Welsh Castles run.

kittenkat    pirate
24/05/2013 at 17:33

Not good news about Cole, he has spondylosis, arthritis and very shallow hip joints. He's not even 3 yet, we asked if we'd done anything to contribute/cause any of it and no, this was always going to happen.

And so this is what will happen. He will get worse, it's not going to go away and so we have to manage it really.

He isn't insured so I've suggested we start a savings plan now with the money we would use on insurance, so we have a pot when the time comes that he does need treatment.

kittenkat    pirate
25/05/2013 at 17:05

What a wonderful afternoon in the beer garden of one of our local village pubs. The new landlord/lady and family have arrived and are lovely. Kid and dog friendly as you have to be in the sticks.

They have moved from the Lighthouse in Topsham for locals, so tried and tested.

kittenkat    pirate
25/05/2013 at 17:16

Cole has run around like a pup again this afternoon with other dogs, but we've had numerous long conversations about him. I'm gutted that he can't run, he was the first other thing with a heartbeat that I've ever let run with me and he was good, both as company and a sounding board.

However, he doesn't know that anything is wrong and all we want is for him to be able to live a dog's life literally and in a good way.

We just need to give him the best experience he can have within all the parameters. I do feel that it's a bit of fucking bad luck given what happened to Megan and Maggie respectively. But it's life, just cope. And much worse things are happening in the world. But still, he's my dog, they're my kids... You know how protective you are about your own and that's instinctive and to be commended. We are all animals.

25/05/2013 at 18:30

Sorry to hear about Cole, I met the pair of you at Outlaw last year. I know you will give him a great dog's life, after all they are part of the family.

kittenkat    pirate
25/05/2013 at 18:40

SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Sorry to hear about Cole, I met the pair of you at Outlaw last year. I know you will give him a great dog's life, after all they are part of the family.

Thank you.

Edited: 25/05/2013 at 18:41
kittenkat    pirate
25/05/2013 at 18:47

It's just a shame because his mind and front end needs more than a 'pet' dog does. We were given him because he's essentially a wild/farm dog fuck up, and he needs to work. He's come from a long line of dogs that aren't pets, so we now have to manage this. His head wants to run with me, we're already talking about getting him bionic hips early, because if it's going to happen let's do it.

Edited: 25/05/2013 at 18:49
25/05/2013 at 20:52

Bad news about Cole, but I know you'll do the right thing by him - the right thing for Cole isn't always going to be the right thing for you - but you know that already.  He's in the right place with you and your family, good luck

kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2013 at 16:22

Thanks, it's actually a big blow that he can't run but that's just a bit selfish of me. I'd got so used to us doing it together and he loved to run. Everyone is disappointed, he'd become a bit of a local celebrity and a lot of my running club know him.

Anyway, last aquathlon in the series happened today. Beautiful weather and perfect for the race as the Exeter Uni race is an outdoor pool. Everyone was fab and it's a pleasure to organise and witness. A shout out to TriUK who had some sponsored athletes here today and have offered us a load of free stuff for next year. I'm beginning to realise that maybe very few clubs offer a series? Ours is hugely popular.

Also, I'm putting my money on a couple of the juniors/youths that we've got in the SW for elite in future years, all being well.

kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2013 at 17:03

On a personal level, it's also a bit of a relief it's over. I hugely enjoy the events themselves from the perspective of facilitating rather than competing. But I did 3 11+ hour days in work last week, combined with kids, dog, husband trying to revise for his last OU exam whilst juggling shifts. And anyone who works out the logistics of swim waves and race organisation will know that it takes time. It's a nice hobby when you have the time, but when you haven't it's stress city

We're fucking knackered. But better busy than bored...

55,861 to 55,880 of 55,998 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.