Is this a mad way to start?

55,921 to 55,940 of 55,997 messages
kittenkat    pirate
29/10/2013 at 18:01

D was working on the weekend (he works 3 weekends out of 5) so it was just me and the girls and catching up with friends. Yesterday I met up with probably my longest closest oldest friend. We met in uni quite a few years ago, she's now a headteacher and has two girls also. We decided to meet halfway between Plymouth and Exeter which is about exactly here, she's still one of the funniest women I've ever met and what I really enjoy about our friendship is that our kids seem to have inherited the rather bizairre sense of humour we share.

My eldest is 11 and then her elder daughter is the same as my youngest at 9 and then there's a gap and Lily her youngest is in reception, so 4/5... Lily asked me where we were, I said Totnes, so her next question was 'Where is the Totnes monster?'

30/10/2013 at 11:10

Hi KK, still lurking, too busy at work to spend much time near a pc when at home!

Daftest part is I joined a local tri club back in Sept and haven't got there yet, I almost made it to a swimming session once, but the pool was closed for cleaning and haven't even tried since

kittenkat    pirate
30/10/2013 at 11:42

WS, if you fancy it we've just opened entries to our aquathlon series. Dawlish in Feb, Sidmouth in March, Exeter Middlemoor in April and Exeter University in May.

Well I've just run with Cole for the first time in almost 3 weeks. I paced the Great West a few weeks ago and did something to my achillies, I can still feel it's a bit tight but was just lovely to get out there and run again.

Feeling happier! And I've come back to a fully Halloween decorated house. I'm off work until Monday which is great.

01/11/2013 at 11:09

Hi KK, at home with the kids this week too . so far left them at home first thing and done a run or bike ride each morning.

My plan for next year is a sprint tri early season, getting a friend round Plymouth Half in sub 2hrs (their pb is 2:00:45!), maybe a duathlon and then a standard distance tri at the end of the season.

I might add a few more bits as the year goes on, but the 2 tris are my main target.  Thinking of Roadford for the first.  My problem is Mrs WS doesn't want to travel anywhere and I don't want to go off for a couple of days just to be selfish.

01/11/2013 at 17:39

Hi Wrinkly - Didn't realise that you were still running around Devon!

01/11/2013 at 18:45

Hi 40, stopped for a while, but just starting to get the mojo back spreading the load with cycling as well as running.  Hope you are well

kittenkat    pirate
02/11/2013 at 08:28

Hey guys,

I need to cycle, my achillies still is grumbling which in turn makes me grumble.

Cracking half term though, just waving goodbye to an Australian friend and her daughter who have been here for the past couple of days.

And then I'm going back to bed...

Edited: 02/11/2013 at 08:28
kittenkat    pirate
02/11/2013 at 15:34

My kids have never been stung by a bee or wasp ever, and then on Thursday little kitten got 2 wasp stings and today I had to extract a bee sting out of elder kitten's foot.

When my friend was here we had quite an interesting conversation about free range children. She lives in the middle of London and so her daughter doesn't have the opportunity to play out like mine do. I literally don't see mine for hours and my friend said that for her daughter coming down to visit us was suddenly like being in a Famous Five adventure. To which my husband replied, "fair comment, we do live in the 50's"

The rules are that they don't go in the livestock fields, they respect nature and water (there's a lake here) and if they climb big and scary trees, I don't want to know about it.

kittenkat    pirate
02/11/2013 at 17:46

Edited: 02/11/2013 at 17:56
05/11/2013 at 18:08

I'm still in work and getting irritable, I think I'm just tired. I only slept for about 3 hours last night and seemed to dream of pants a lot. Really, a line of male pants, only that. Even in my dream I had the cognition to announce 'well this is boring'.

However in good news I've decided that no amount of sulking and swearing is going to help my achillies. I'm being sensible and last night used the roller, did some weights, core and stretching.

A gentle 5 mile run with the dog this morning, the good thing is that it loosened up as the run went on. Slowly slowly catchee dead rat that Cole wanted to pick up on the way.

05/11/2013 at 23:31

sounds like its getting worse at work, but better out on your feet - i always find swearing at injuries cures them, maybe you're not swearing enough

kittenkat    pirate
06/11/2013 at 06:32

Awww, I can't use too many profanities in front of my puppy

Work is ok, just busy. Trouble is that I have a 35 min (on a very good day) up to 1hr 20 min (rush hour) commute. And it's not a route I could cycle. Lunchtime training is also out as I have to be around to problemshoot.

Then the kids and their now different school drop off and pick ups, and D's shifts.

I'm not complaining, I chose to have a family and a lovely one they are too. But it reminds me that I need a new headtorch, absolutely no street lighting here.

How's your work/life balance?

06/11/2013 at 22:48

Work/Work/Work/Running around to clubs schools etc/life balance is slightly off - but getting better.

Work is interesting (to say the least), very little 'me' time but that's OK and part of my 'life choices' got very selfish and did the weymouth tri to celebrate hitting my half-century.  Now wanting to build the fitness back up - but keep getting side tracked

kittenkat    pirate
07/11/2013 at 17:26

I understand about the getting sidetracked, I do too and I've got yo-yo mojo at the moment.

kittenkat    pirate
09/11/2013 at 18:38

I rarely buy into links on social media or share stuff, but an online friend from America posted this and I love the underlying message, and so well delivered.

Click.

kittenkat    pirate
12/11/2013 at 20:36

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesneverletitmesaidthatlittlethingspleaselittleminds.

But I've got someone else to work on Saturday instead of me. I don't normally work on the weekends and I wouldn't usually have worked this one, but being in charge (that's a loose term), I tend to give all the worst bits to myself when manpower is lacking.

But I really didn't want to do it as we have a girls evening at a friends on Fri.

I mean I really didn't want to do it as it would have interfered with my very serious running training schedule.

And YES YOU CAN still have a 'girls' evening when you're in your 40s.

kittenkat    pirate
12/11/2013 at 20:37

'I give all the worst bits to myself when manpower is lacking'.

Not to be taken out of context.

kittenkat    pirate
13/11/2013 at 17:23

My daughter has made a shit cake for a junior 'bake off', no not made of shit but crap. well, ok not crap but a cake as any 11 year old would make (left to her own devices).

How do I just know that every other cake entered is going to prodiginous?

Meanwhile little kitten's cake is even better in uniqueness. And mess, and my friend is here drinking wine and D is going to walk in on... a fairly usual scene.

My only real bad is that the kids still have their school uniform on, instead of some sort of industrial protection.

13/11/2013 at 20:35

sounds like a normal house 

kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 06:18

Well, I'm actually very pleasantly surprised with what ended up as bigger kitten's cake, it actually looks edible. Go us!

55,921 to 55,940 of 55,997 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.