Is this joke Racist?

21 to 40 of 65 messages
31/07/2012 at 06:58

I'm not sure it's actually racist, but its certainly not funny enough to be called a joke. 

31/07/2012 at 07:58
It is obviously racist and offensive. The comment that Muslim could be replaced with IRA and the joke still works demonstrates this. Whether Muslim is a race or not is irrelevant.

That someone has to ask just shows how normalised such prejudice is amongst some groups.
31/07/2012 at 08:28

Where I agree with others is that it is not a funny joke (it's also decades old, btw). But to call it racist and offensive is just silly. Muslims are a faith, not a race - as has already been said. Prejudice? Grow up, please.

Some people just want to be offended. They're primed to be so.

If more people laughed at terrorists (who, let's be honest, are often pretty stupid or brainwashed people) then maybe it would be less attractive to become one.

And the more we take the piss out of a religion, any religion, the better imho.

31/07/2012 at 09:40

It doesn't imply that all Muslims are terrorists at all, merely that one of the people at the party might be.

31/07/2012 at 10:35

It's certainly potentially offensive.

Saying that we used to make jokes about the Scots being tight, or the Irish being dim doesn't mean that it's OK.

I should think plenty of Scots and Irish people were offended by those jokes.

I don't see why it's a good thing to take the piss out of religions in general, Muttley?  I'm not religious myself, but I wouldn't want to take the piss out of people who are - what's the point?

31/07/2012 at 10:37

Wilkie - most humour takes the piss out of someone, and if people are offended, tough.

31/07/2012 at 10:46

It's not essential to take the piss out of people in order to be funny.

There are plenty of things that make me laugh without taking the piss. 

People take the piss in order to bolster themselves, their views, and make themselves feel superior to others.

31/07/2012 at 10:55

The problem with racism is that its usually the do-gooders who do not represent the group mentioned in the joke, that make the fuss. Most down to earth Muslims I know would probably have a chuckle at it. If the boot was on the other foot and a Muslim said a Joke about a white 'Christian' would I take offence? Probably not, but I am pretty laid back. I really do enjoy a good joke and a laugh. However sometimes a good joke is at somebody else's expense. I enjoy Frankie Boyle, some of the stuff he says is proper out of order, does he really mean it? Plus you know what you are getting if you choose to listen to him. You have the choice, if you will be offended don't watch. Jokes are always funnier when they shock. You just have to be careful when and who you say them to.

They say a dog is a mans best friend. But I don't even have enemies that would stare directly into my eyes whilst taking a S""t on my carpet.

31/07/2012 at 11:04

Correct me if I'm wrong but Muslim isn't a race it's a religion - this means it can't be a 'racist' joke .Not to mention either way it's not that funny.

31/07/2012 at 11:09

Islam is the religion Muslims are the people who follow it. My religion is Christianity and I am a Christian

31/07/2012 at 11:17

It is certainly a 'joke' that reinforces a bad stereotype view of Muslims.

I remember having a very heated argument with my mother in law (unfortunately one Christmas Day after she had had a lot to drink. She is certainly racist - she argued that we should not let any Muslims into our country as we would have lots of terrorism 'you mark my words'. When I pointed out that she was Irish and perhaps we should have sent her back to Ireland when the IRA were bombing people she went red in the face, said I was being stupid and stormed out of the room [I think I won the argument. My wife had already stormed out of the room in anger at her mum for saying such a racist thing so Christmas Day wasn't great that year.....

31/07/2012 at 16:49

What if a muslim person told the joke?

Or the person who told it knew that muslims don't put very good presents in the parcels and there not worth opening?

31/07/2012 at 17:39

Another case for the thought police.

31/07/2012 at 17:40

The joke would not be offensive if you said "an Al Quaida birthday party". By saying Muslim you are equating Islam with terrorism which is pretty offensive, really.

31/07/2012 at 17:45

It is technically racist.  The bigger problem however, is the over the top way in which people respond to this kind of thing.  A couple of generations ago, homosexuality was 'wrong' and you could go to prison for it.  Now, if you do or say anything against gays, you're the one in trouble.  Were we wrong then, or wrong now?  

Think for yourself.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
31/07/2012 at 18:17
Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
It is obviously racist and offensive. The comment that Muslim could be replaced with IRA and the joke still works demonstrates this. Whether Muslim is a race or not is irrelevant.

That someone has to ask just shows how normalised such prejudice is amongst some groups.

Dan Ellingworth wrote (see)

The joke would not be offensive if you said "an Al Quaida birthday party". By saying Muslim you are equating Islam with terrorism which is pretty offensive, really.

agree with both............

31/07/2012 at 19:17
Dan Ellingworth wrote (see)

Totally. I actually didn't 'get it' until it the comments explained it for me. Maybe that's cause I've got loads of Muslim mates and I wouldn't ever think to automatically equate Islam with terrorism. It's a pretty pathetic joke actually. But with IRA or Al Qaeda substituted it's a bit funnier and not at all offensive.

31/07/2012 at 19:26
31/07/2012 at 22:02

It's a very bad joke. It is offensive. The fact that you need to ask is astonishing.

Oh the great British public. Sometimes just pretty amazing and lovely. Sometimes depressingly dim.
Edited: 31/07/2012 at 22:05
31/07/2012 at 22:47

The most tangled webs we weave are the ones we create when we try to deceive ourselves.

All this "its not racist because Muslims arent a race", "its not bigoted because bigot use to mean something else once", "it doesnt say all Muslims are bombers just the ones at the party" or "the ones playing pass the parcel" Listen to yourselves, can you honestly say your being honest? That your not ignoring the way language is actually used, and meant in light of the prejudices, that anyone who is even half aware of the social and political upheavals since 9/11 that have surfaced should know about? Are you actually sitting there and telling me and others that this joke does not base its humour on these prejudices?

If you find the joke funny say so. If you find the joke funny because you think the idea of muslims fearing their own funny say so. If you think muslims mostly agree with bombing say so. Just dont sit there and wriggle and wiggle.

Its embarrassing.

21 to 40 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.