Is this joke Racist?

41 to 60 of 65 messages
01/08/2012 at 08:54
Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

It is technically racist.  The bigger problem however, is the over the top way in which people respond to this kind of thing.  A couple of generations ago, homosexuality was 'wrong' and you could go to prison for it.  Now, if you do or say anything against gays, you're the one in trouble.  Were we wrong then, or wrong now?  

Think for yourself.

Personally I think one HAS to respond to shit like this in as strong a way as possible. I don't see a swift and firm reaction as being over-the-top. I think it's just what you have to do in order to show the ingrained bigots that such nonsense is not something that they should think is accepted quietly by everyone.

As for your question about 'gays', I hope you're not actually serious.

01/08/2012 at 11:51

Two nuns in the bath ...

"where's the soap?"

"yes, it does,  doesn't it!"

01/08/2012 at 16:00

Hands up who understands Bruce's post .......

01/08/2012 at 16:20

but not as much as the candle !

01/08/2012 at 16:21

"Nice tits love.  Now where d'you want these blinds?"

...oh sorry, wrong nun joke.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
01/08/2012 at 16:36

heard Phils before............but not bruces............but yes i get it fraser 

01/08/2012 at 16:43

Oh no - I'm so dense I need it explaining......what a saddo.

I assume it's filthy in some way. I don't get Phil's either !

01/08/2012 at 17:22

So, to the OP.

Will this tangled web of discussion help you win the argument at work tomorrow ? 

01/08/2012 at 17:33

Is this joke racist? or could it be 'is this joke culturcist?' 

How about that film where the main character called his black labrador dog THE 'N' WORD. Is that racist? People will find this reference in the film offensive. Why?

01/08/2012 at 18:49

Well, my black dog ended up being called Sam, short for Sambo. I have fond memories of my granny's old kids books about little black Sambo. And while my non-white friends had a good chuckle at it, I do realise that shouting 'Sambo' in public would be quite likely to make many people think I was a member of the EDF (or whatever the Scottish equivalent is) hence him being known as Sam.

01/08/2012 at 18:59
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

Alot of humour is based on being offensive. It is there to jolt the ignorant, the bigot and also the sterile easily offended head up your arse types.

The comedians like Chris Rock  talk about racism and other sensitive subjects in a very clever and astute way. Of course nobody would call him a racist, because he is black!

The joke is very tame, not particularly funny and anybody that feels the need they "has to respond to shit like this in a strong way" needs to take a good look at themselves. Chill out you boring twat. It's no different to the jokes about paedo catholics. Intelligent people can differentiate between the joke and the reality

Personally, I think offensive jokes are only acceptable if the humour outweighs the offence. So for subjects extremely likely to cause offence, the joke has to be VERY f**king funny for it to be acceptable. I don't have any problem at all with genuinely funny jokes. Including racist, sexist and paedo priest ones.

But even then, there's context. I'd tell race jokes to non-white friends, cause they know me and they know I don't actually mean it as some sly piece of nastiness. I wouldn't tell the same jokes to people I didn't know, as I wouldn't want to come across as an asshole.

I worked for years as the only female at a big transport company, and I got sick to f**king death of sneaky insults, sly digs and not-so-subtle attempts to belittle and undermine me disguised as 'jokes'. Some people are very good at disguising bullying as 'humour' and are very quick to pull the 'Whoa, I was only joking, what's the matter, can't you take a joke....' any time they're actually called out on their nastiness.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
01/08/2012 at 19:27

fraser....play on the word where.....replace where with wear and you ask what is wearing the soap away quicker than normal........

phil only gives half the joke so harder for you to understand...you ned to find the right episode of the vicar of dibley...........

01/08/2012 at 19:43
Bruce C wrote (see)

Two nuns in the bath ...

"where's the soap?"

"yes, it does,  doesn't it!"

doesn't really work in written form does it

Stephen E Forde...agree with your post

01/08/2012 at 20:09
Seren.....aaaaahhhh. Thank you. My pun brain was clearly badly unplugged
02/08/2012 at 06:39

Don't muck about Dreamtwister, tell her straight.

02/08/2012 at 09:53
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

Alot of humour is based on being offensive. It is there to jolt the ignorant, the bigot and also the sterile easily offended head up your arse types.

The comedians like Chris Rock  talk about racism and other sensitive subjects in a very clever and astute way. Of course nobody would call him a racist, because he is black!

The joke is very tame, not particularly funny and anybody that feels the need they "has to respond to shit like this in a strong way" needs to take a good look at themselves. Chill out you boring twat. It's no different to the jokes about paedo catholics. Intelligent people can differentiate between the joke and the reality

Some people say stupid and offensive things because they do not know any other way to behave than to be stupid and offensive.
Just because Chris Rock might be clever and astute does not mean that every who says offensive things can consider themselves to be clever and astute.
Perhaps the reason nobody calls him a racist! is because he isnt one! And that can be deduced from what he says on the subject.

And it is fair comment to say that some jokes have their roots in comedy, and an effort to be funny. But some jokes have roots in stupidy and an intention to be stupid. Some jokes clearly have an intention only of saying "muslims are bombers!",  "Irish are stupid!" and signalling that to like minded people.

02/08/2012 at 11:16

Perhaps I didn't express myself quite as well as I could have back there. When I said 'racist and sexist jokes' I should probably have said 'race or gender based jokes' instead. Perhaps that's where I gave the impression that instead of being a boring twat I was actually fucked up big time. LMAO! 

Bos1 already said pretty much what I would have said myself, if s/he hadn't got in there first. Intention. And context. I stand by my previous comments.

02/08/2012 at 15:11
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I think what is even funnier than any joke, is when people show mock offence, or who become indignant on behalf of others, as in the politically correct brigade. A joke is meant to be fun and will always poke funin one direction or other.

Given that your posting record is basically a history of snarky and unpleasant comments, your definition of 'mock offence' and 'politically correct brigades' and 'poke funin' are unlikely to shared by many people.

02/08/2012 at 16:48
bos1 wrote (see)
  Some jokes clearly have an intention only of saying "muslims are bombers!",  "Irish are stupid!" and signalling that to like minded people.

Don't forget nun's all being soapy masturbators !

02/08/2012 at 18:27

The discussion about the joke came after the case last week of the male who phoned up the airport when his flight was cancelled and stated he was going to bomb it. His arguement was that no offence or threat was made as he was joking.  A point of view that was supportive by a lot of people including some leading comics  So the discussion started about whether humour can go to far and someone used that joke as an example. I'll admit I smirked at it at first but then though it could cross a line which in turn started a debate over what is and isn't racist in humour.

I saw Reg D Hunter (Black American Comic) last year and the first part of his act is about the "N" word and how he will quite happily use it yet his Bristish friends/colleagues simply won't use the word and he can't understand as an American why the Bristish are scared of using words incase we cause offence! I think any use of the "N" word goes too far. But he argues that comics should cause offence and make us question the staus quo  and that without the ability to cfause offence then humour doesn't work. 

Edited: 02/08/2012 at 19:25
41 to 60 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.