Is this joke Racist?

61 to 65 of 65 messages
03/08/2012 at 11:22

Nearly all jokes and humour are about some real fear or concern. People make a joke because they can't talk about the thing in a direct way.

03/08/2012 at 12:33

The great comedian raise awareness and ridicule prejudice.  Chris Rock and his ilk holds up established stereotypes and says 'What sort of idiot actually thinks like this?'

That is completely different to insideous casual racism, which, whilst it might not be the intention to cause offence, and maybe no one is offended by something so banal, reinforces negative attitudes. 

See a group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....

If people hear it often enough some will come to believe it and this is the root cause of mistrust, prejudice, fear, hatred, 'paki-bashing' and murder, which, have no doubt has result in more people dead in the UK over the years than islamic terrorist activities.

03/08/2012 at 17:18
Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

See a group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....

If people hear it often enough some will come to believe it and this is the root cause of mistrust, prejudice, fear, hatred, 'paki-bashing' and murder, which, have no doubt has result in more people dead in the UK over the years than islamic terrorist activities.

Lou  

Don't agree I think we underestimate how intelligent people are the vast majority of people know the statement you made to be untrue Recent cases the majority of people accused of terrorism have been Muslim in fact two were convicted this week however are all terrorists Muslims NO  in fact I would say less than half a percentage are, just as less than half a percentage of all Irish Catholics, East European Christains are terrorists. 

Following the recent Rochdale case are all male Muslims sex offenders  NO  but it was highlighted that there was a problem that parts of the Rochdale community were turning a blind eye too.

I think too many people are afraid to speak out and highlight the extremists amongst us and that is a greater threat than un-PC humour.

04/08/2012 at 07:54
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

Disagree NW4 saying one comedian is just the same as another. It's how you approach the subject. It's not the subject.

Bernard Manning was a racist... Chris Rock, Reg DHunter and I think I've heard Stu Lee talking on the subject in a brilliant and funny way

I agree BM made a living out of being racist where as Chris Rock et al make a living out of laughing at racism and the people who have adopted it as a cause celeb to further their own agendas.

K80
04/08/2012 at 12:32
MikeFrog wrote (see)

What word do you use when a "joke" targets a particular group (like Muslims or Christians) but that group isn't really a race, so "racist" doesn't sound quite right?

The generic term that covers all the "protected characteristics" is Discriminatory

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 65 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.