Is this racist?

121 to 131 of 131 messages
18/10/2009 at 10:34

However this is why racial profiling questons at pre-interview stage is actually still very relevant in 2009...

18/10/2009 at 10:40
that does not surprise me at all Corinth - some places i worked in had management with such prejudices.
18/10/2009 at 11:13
Gertie wrote (see)
Interesting article in the Guardian about job hunting and racial descriminiation.  Let's be honest, the only way to ensure that a person is employed on their merits is to exclude their race, gender and age  (and any other 'ism' that I can't think of) from their CV.

The problem is you would also have to exclude their name from the cv, and probably the address, perhaps even some educational history..  And if there is an interview those exclusions come back into the frame...

Employers not only have to be 'not racist/ageist/sexist etc' but they also have to be seen to be 'not  racist/ageist/sexist etc'.  Collecting data is the way to be seen to be not discriminating. However, as we see from this thread, even data collection is feared as being part of a discriminatory process.

21/06/2013 at 23:34

Edited: 22/06/2013 at 09:03
24/06/2013 at 21:12

When they ask me for ethnic origin, I just say "Lincolnshire Yellowbelly." 

25/06/2013 at 06:53

It all seems pretty pointless, in the end a choice is made in a personal interview anyway, where preferences can be exercised as long as any decision is justified as best fit for the business

LIVERBIRD    pirate
25/06/2013 at 17:00

I saw an advert today that said "applications especially welcome from lesbian, gay, bisexual and black and Asian origin ethnicities, all of whom are under-represented in our workforce at present".

As a white heterosexual female at least I now know where I'm going wrong....

The colour of your skin or who you choose to share your life with has absolutely NO BEARING on your ability (or otherwise) to do your job. So why are they "especially welcome"?

This strikes me as inverted racism. If I come up against a bisexual individual from an ethnic minority are they saying they have the ADVANTAGE if we're otherwise equal? I'd rather they tossed a coin to be honest.

Choosing people based on box ticking stinks.

25/06/2013 at 17:20

I thought it was cos you are a rubbish trawler skipper ? 

25/06/2013 at 20:02
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I saw an advert today that said "applications especially welcome from lesbian, gay, bisexual and black and Asian origin ethnicities, all of whom are under-represented in our workforce at present".

The colour of your skin or who you choose to share your life with has absolutely NO BEARING on your ability (or otherwise) to do your job. So why are they "especially welcome"?

This strikes me as inverted racism. If I come up against a bisexual individual from an ethnic minority are they saying they have the ADVANTAGE if we're otherwise equal? I'd rather they tossed a coin to be honest.

Choosing people based on box ticking stinks.

It just means in the end choices are made for the wrong reason, which leads to less than optimum selection, if you are looking to employ someone, choose the best fit for your organisation regardless of quotas

seren nos    pirate
25/06/2013 at 20:04
Corinthian wrote (see)

However this is why racial profiling questons at pre-interview stage is actually still very relevant in 2009...

but as people have not been doing that for many years........there was a need for some checks

25/06/2013 at 20:13

Most people have always done this properly and professionally, there will always be the few you won't convert

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 131 of 131 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.