Is this racist?

1 to 20 of 106 messages
11/10/2009 at 10:33
I know that when ive applied for jobs in the past with my local council they had a diversity form but it was sealed in a seperate envelope and apparently only opened once you had been selected for interview (i think), i honestly dont know why they want to know this, i always read it as being racist...what difference does it make to your ability to do the job? None in my opinion
M...eldy    pirate
11/10/2009 at 10:35
Usually the diversity form is included as TTN says but its usually an optional form

If they are subject to positive discrimination then they may have a requirement to ask
11/10/2009 at 10:35
just fill it in i think you are being too sensitiveo good luck
11/10/2009 at 10:37

As long as they've written somewhere that your response to this question will in no way affect your application (apart from the fact you have to!) then you're being judged solely on merits.  Some public institutions have to report their staff/interviewee/applicant ethnicity due to rules placed upon them, therefore 'cannot' consider applications without the question being answered.

If you suspect that some kind of discrimination is in place at the institution, 'positive' or otherwise, then I wouldn't apply anyway!

M...eldy    pirate
11/10/2009 at 10:38
I think personally its a bit of overthinking,  many forms ask if you are male or female and where you live but these are not questioned but perfectly valid in the context 'what does it matter'
11/10/2009 at 10:40

It does sound like it could be manipulated for positive discrimination.

However, a lot of businesses are duty bound nowadays to include an ethnic questionnaire. Unfortunately a lot of people don't bother completing them, so these companies have no proper statistics of how diverse their jobs appeal to ethnic minorities. Maybe this is an attempt to force people to complete this part of the application?

11/10/2009 at 10:43
Well on a similar note, I know that the newly reform Royal Ulster Constabulary aka Police Service of Northern Ireland tried to show that they were not biased against catholics by trying to employ more of them. So if you were keen to join you only had to say you were catholic, and unless you were a complete idiot, the job was virtually yours. I know of a chap who did exactly that...
M...eldy    pirate
11/10/2009 at 10:58
no.
11/10/2009 at 11:02
If it's for a job in a public body they will ask your age, race, sex etx as the goverment likes to monitor who they employ, but they cannot chose someone on the basis of race, sex, age over someone else That would be positive discrimination
11/10/2009 at 11:13

Say you're a black muslim lesbian with a hare lip and you're a shoo-in.

I mean, how many boxes does that one tick?

11/10/2009 at 11:15
Yes, i know...I'm a bad person.
11/10/2009 at 11:19
no, sweetie - but just let me move the Daily Mail away from you...

;o)
11/10/2009 at 11:43

Prob a clause they have to include for their powers that be

Think you're overthinking it.

If there's an 'other' category for ethnic origin, use that. Just put 'Alien' in it.

11/10/2009 at 11:51

I always hate filling those in as my ethnic origin is always listed as

Mixed - Black African, English.

Says bugger all about my family, my family's history, me, or my employability. Plus, 'mixed' is just a horrible term.. makes me sound confused.

However, I always fill them in because I believe that its important for employers to check the diversity of their employees - not to positively disciminate - but to catch anything dodgy early...ie 'negative' discrimination. Same as for gender, age, sexuality, etc.

11/10/2009 at 12:47
It doesn't 'matter', any more than your address 'matters'. It's just data that's being collected.
11/10/2009 at 12:56
My address matters. I wouldn't be able to get home otherwise....
Gyraffe    pirate
11/10/2009 at 13:27

KK - if you mean is collecting information an act of racial discrimination?, the answer is no. If you mean, will this information be used to inform a decision?, the answer is also no. If you mean, would using the information to inform a decision be an act of racial discrimination? - then the answer is yes.

11/10/2009 at 13:52

Why collect it if you aren't going to use it?

Just askin'...

LIVERBIRD    pirate
11/10/2009 at 13:55

My favourite stupid phrase at the moment is "dual parentage" which is intended to mean mixed race.

Well - I must fall into this category as the last time I checked mummy met daddy, they got jiggy and had me.

And there were definitely two of them there.

I hate the ethnicity question. I never know what to put anyway. My mum is German, my dad hails from a Scottish background with an Indian father. I wish they had a box that says "who cares" because I'd tick that every time.

11/10/2009 at 13:58
Sorry, decided that was inappropriate so edited
Edited: 11/10/2009 at 13:59
1 to 20 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.