Jack Reacher

1 to 20 of 38 messages
07/01/2013 at 10:33

Any other Lee Child readers out there also wonder how Tom Cruise got the part of Jack Reacher, given that he is a shortarse?
Or is it a case of 'Produce the movie, Direct the movie, Star in the movie, write the feem tune, sing the feem tune. . . . ' ?

07/01/2013 at 10:35

I think it's a case of having the money/clout.  He's what's known as a 'green light' I believe!

07/01/2013 at 10:39

Ah, so we just have to imagine he's 6ft 5 and built like a brick outhouse then?

cougie    pirate
07/01/2013 at 10:41
There's a great interview with the author where he says "there's no chance of Tom Cruise getting the lead"

Funny how things change eh ? Without a big name though you just won't get the money to make the film.
07/01/2013 at 10:55

I'm a big fan of the Lee Child books and the character Jack reacher.  I was gutted when he was cast in the lead role. I went to see it, good film but he doesv't carry the role off at all.  I was wondering who could have acted the role though and was struggling to think of any A lister actor!  Any suggestions anyone?

07/01/2013 at 10:59

Having read some of the books, I'd find the film hard to watch, the film simply is not credible. Having said that I'm sure non-readers will enjoy it.

cougie    pirate
07/01/2013 at 11:01
Well they could have done a Hobbit style trick and make him look tall.
If they can do it for Gandalf ?
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
07/01/2013 at 11:02
Toucs wrote (see)

.  I was wondering who could have acted the role though and was struggling to think of any A lister actor!  Any suggestions anyone?

Liam Neeson ?

07/01/2013 at 11:02

Maybe that's why they went for a shorty

07/01/2013 at 11:03

I couldnt think of anyone that would be perfect, but i did think that Daniel Craig might have been a better choice, still not 6ft 5 but more fitting for the part than Mr Cruise?
I know it shouldnt matter too much if the film character doesnt exactly match the book character but its pretty much specified in all the books how big the guy is, it seems a bit silly not to have at least tried to get someone over 5ft 6?

07/01/2013 at 11:04
cougie wrote (see)

haha, that might have worked!

07/01/2013 at 11:07

I can't take Tom Cruise seriously in anything anymore - it's the whole Scientology thing. But casting a short bloke as a really big bloke is spectacularly wrong.

I'd say maybe Christian Bale would have been better. I don't like him much either really but at least he's 6ft tall.

07/01/2013 at 11:08

Hagrid couldn't have made that turkey good.

Rafiki    pirate
07/01/2013 at 11:13
cougie wrote (see)

There's a scene when he walks into the bar and I swear he's the tallest guy in there, so maybe the did apply a little bit of 'wizardary'!

gingerfurball    pirate
07/01/2013 at 11:35

I will never go see the film - I loved the books (well I kind of lost interest with the last couple as they were all merging into one)...Tom Cruise is so not Jack Reacher (one of the early discriptions in the book of reacher was that he was 6' 5" and built like a condom filled with walnuts - I always loved that )

07/01/2013 at 11:37

Steven Seagal should have got the part.

07/01/2013 at 11:38

I agree Liam Neeson and Christian Bale could have carried the role off. 

Rafiki that bar scene was funny, I'm sure the entire cast of the hobbits were in there!

07/01/2013 at 12:11

I was thinking Liam Neesom too.

There is a fair amount of trickery in Tom Cruise's films with him being a pixie.  Next time you see a film with him in it, you see that he is usually taller than the lead female but they never really show them in full length shots.  I can't believe they've always found tiny women for him to play against, so I do wonder if it's compulsory for the women to wear flats and he does a bit of standing on boxes.

07/01/2013 at 12:32

I think I read that tiny Tom was rumoured to have paid $20m for the rights to the books so it was pretty much doomed from the start!

It does remind me a bit of the scene from Father Ted "These are close, and those are far away"

07/01/2013 at 13:04

There's no way that Tom Cruise is Jack Reacher. No way. Maybe Russell Crowe would've been better.

I certainly won't be watching the film. Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher - pah!

1 to 20 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.