Jessops gone. Who's next?

Not really surprised

1 to 20 of 127 messages
11/01/2013 at 17:23

I just saw the news that Jessops will be closing all of their stores, and sadly a lot of people will be losing their jobs, but it occured to me that I wasn't in the least bit surprised that they'd gone under. I'm no market analyst, but there are some companies where I wonder "how is that still going" and I'm sure others do too.

So, what companies would you not be surprised to hear about going under?

HMV must be up on the list, maybe one of the big travel agents too. Not quite sure what Robert Dyas's business strategy is, seemed a bit randomly stocked last time i was in there (a bit like Woolies turned into a jumble sale before it folded). And I'm surprised Maplins has lasted this long.

11/01/2013 at 17:28

I'm surprised that Runner's World is still in business, as they just regurgatate the same material month after month, and don't seem to add anything new to their publication.

11/01/2013 at 17:33

But a lot of new people come into running Rickster so it's new to them so they buy the mag.

11/01/2013 at 17:37
Cinders wrote (see)

But a lot of new people come into running Rickster so it's new to them so they buy the mag.

I suppose that's true, but they need to introduce some new material, as complacencey is what causes businesses to go under.

11/01/2013 at 17:49

Companies/shops that go under?

Any that have to compete with internet mail order.

Its why shops are now just food outlets, hair & nails, charity and estate agents.

11/01/2013 at 17:55

it seems the retailers that are really suffering are the big chains. One thing I have noticed, however, is all the new shops springing up locally. in my neighbourhood, and several other small towns that I have visited of late, the number of independent businesses (butchers, cheese shops, cafes, IT shops) opening (and staying open) has risen dramatically.

perhaps entrenreneurship is alive and well?

sure many will close within a year, but many will not.

seren nos    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:27

Ric.you forgot pound shops in there

i thought jessops went a time back as our local jessop shop closed

11/01/2013 at 18:43

Seren Nos

We did have a pound shop where I live but it closed down.

We do have a row of shops of which 9 out of 13 you can eat from. A charity shop, a nail shop and a hardware shop - what! The others a pub.

11/01/2013 at 19:19

HMV are on death watch these days. Any company that has to fight online sales or media going digital is really going to struggle, so anyone selling CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, books on the high street is pretty much screwed.

I can see a most of the remaining big electrical goods sellers going too due to online sales and supermarkets diversifying.

AgentGinger wrote (see)

And I'm surprised Maplins has lasted this long.

Maplin strike me as one that could survive. Just on the I need that part now market. It's a great shop for those odds and ends, even if it charges way over the odds for them.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 19:22
11/01/2013 at 20:56

Surprised WH Smith is still going although I think they've done the right thing in order to survive i.e. virtually abandon the high street in favour of railway stations.

11/01/2013 at 21:18
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Surprised WH Smith is still going although I think they've done the right thing in order to survive i.e. virtually abandon the high street in favour of railway stations.

WH Smith charge a quid for a can of coke. Surprised they do any trade.

Pound shops are so expensive. We have a 99p shop here in Nottingham.

11/01/2013 at 21:19

jessops were more expensive than even most private indipndant camera stores, by quite some margin too. 

11/01/2013 at 21:55

I get shopping vouchers from work that I can use in various shops, I'm currently playing bankruptcy bingo on them.

So far Comet, JJB Sports and Jessops have gone. I reckon HMV will be next. Waterstones is probably looking dodgy long-term too, and although Homebase is apparently doing OK I can't figure out why.

11/01/2013 at 21:57

WH Smith is what replaced the pound shop.

11/01/2013 at 21:59

Whittard's must be struggling and I would imagine Thorntons as well.

11/01/2013 at 22:03

all pretty shit shops then.

11/01/2013 at 22:05

Homebase passes itself off as a type of 'supermarket'.

Since supermarkets are cheaper than independants, the public are drawn in without realising that Homebase is actually more expensive than many smaller outlets.

11/01/2013 at 22:24

shocks me that toys-r-us is still going, its so much more expensive. 

11/01/2013 at 22:31

Whittards and Thorntons have both been close to administration before

12/01/2013 at 16:25
I'll bet it won't be the pound shop
1 to 20 of 127 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.