job application help - America

Pretty please....

1 to 20 of 28 messages
16/06/2008 at 20:53
Hi Guys,
I'm royally hacked off with work and have decided it's time to start looking for something else

but this is where I need help..... has anyone ever applied for a lecturing job in America and have any advice as to what my CV/covering letter should look like?
I really doubt very much that I stand a chance but it would be nice to give it my best shot

any (sensible) advice greatly appreciated
Thank you
Aitch!    pirate
16/06/2008 at 22:11
Nothing to offer Cal but good luck with it hun xxx
17/06/2008 at 00:23
I've joined your club. Good luck
17/06/2008 at 08:00

I'll ask BD, he has students who go off to America although usually they are applying for specific post doc posts.

Good luck

Farnie    pirate
17/06/2008 at 08:04
It should be really loud and obnoxious, that should do it. 
17/06/2008 at 08:52

Cally, check out the holiday entitlement and benefits etc before you go.  Not sure about education but in the corporate world you get very little annual holiday - something like 2 weeks a year!  <I think that's right as my friend married an American, they live in Texas and that's all he gets>  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

17/06/2008 at 09:02
i've a friend who works in a university out there and he gets 10 days a year (+ statutory) so deff not great for hols etc. for your CV i've been told a single page is all they'll look at!!
17/06/2008 at 09:43
thanks for the help guys
and good point about the holidays!

in reality I doubt they'd give me the job - but it's nice to try.
There are two I could go for - a Chair and a professorship and both are very tempting.

I'll start work on my CV and covering letter now then.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/06/2008 at 09:47
a note of caution - you  need to check whether health insurance benefits are offered, getting sick in the U.S. can be a very costly affair.
17/06/2008 at 09:51
Thanks Ultra-Ironwolf... I'd just like to get an interview!
I will look into it though
Farnie    pirate
17/06/2008 at 10:07
fess up you just want a holiday out if it......
17/06/2008 at 10:54
CC - get in touch with IronMelissa through the tri forum (she ususally posts in the evenings on the IM training thread). she's a lecturer in the US - Prof now I believe - and is a Brit who's been out there for a few years.....

she'd be a good bet to help you out
17/06/2008 at 11:14
blimey the power of the forum again!
Thanks for that FB
Farnie    pirate
17/06/2008 at 11:27

Its not what you know.....

Its who you chat to online....

17/06/2008 at 11:35
or meet in the flesh at IM events......
17/06/2008 at 11:42

That's a good point about writing your CV.  FB will correct me I'm sure , but I think there are seveal ways of writing a CV - a skills based CV, a work history CV and others...  Not sure which type they would want...  and definitely keep it short and to the point.  I worked in HR for Whitbread for a few years looking at people's CVs for job applications and after page 1 you do tend to tune out...

this may help you with your CV writing...

http://www.totaljobs.com/Content/CVs_and_job_applications/Cv-templates.html

perhaps other formites may have a better CV writing hints and tips link.

17/06/2008 at 11:44
...we hated CVs with coloured paper - they went straight in the bin.  We hated fancy writing that you couldn't read, they also went in the bin.  Nice clear font, black ink on white paper.  Two pages maximum.  <waits to be corrected...>
17/06/2008 at 11:49

Cally 

BD's email reply , hope it helps

The things I've noticed about CVs in the USA which are different from here are;

They are more likely to call it a Resume (acute on the e)

There is more likely to be a career intention statement up front.  'I have completed a highly successful PhD in blah and am seeking employment within an internationally leading research group as a postdoctoral fellow.  After this I will become President.'

They are more likely to state the obvious after previous work...  Bar Assistant at Guzzles R Us, Nantucket.  During this period I learned how to pour drinks and use a cash register.

They spend more time thinking about what saintly but non-time-consuming activities/hobbies they have  - I enjoy having my PA donate money to charity.  I learn foreign languages whilst I'm asleep, etc, etc.

I would also use USA spelling

17/06/2008 at 12:13
LOL Beebs!
good hint about the american spelling.
The advert specifies Curriculum Vitae isn't a resume slightly different?

Coloured paper? do people actually use coloured paper for CV'S Blondiee
*goes to look at link*

Ta

17/06/2008 at 12:17

I don't think he was being totally flippant

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.