Job Interview

Any tips?

17 messages
28/04/2006 at 08:23
Got a job interview next week. This is the first time in 11 years I have done this and to say I am sh*tting bricks would be an understatement!

Has anyone good some GOOD advice? A few hints will hopefully give me the edge...
28/04/2006 at 08:35
Check out www.i-resign.com. Lots of useful information.
28/04/2006 at 08:39
Make sure you know EXACTLY where the interview is, and how you are going to get there(ie, do a dry run to the place before the day)
Make sure your suit is dry cleaned NOW, and that you have a selsection of shirts and ties all clean and ironed to choose form
and does the job description have a person spec
try to work out how you, unique little you would fit that
28/04/2006 at 08:48
eye contact.

but don't stare like a maniac :)
28/04/2006 at 08:54
be yourself and no lies
28/04/2006 at 08:55
Presentation is everything.

Shave properly - as close as possible (if you can find a barber that uses an open razor, even better)

Haircut

Shine shoes so they're mirrors

Iron clothes so you could shave with the creases

Don't go mad with the colours for suit and tie. Black/navy/grey for the suit is always good, beware white and light blue for shirts - if you sweat then it's obvious

Smell clean, use deoderant, but not aftershave - too strong

Tidy up your fingernails if you're a chewer.

Do some background - news items and website about the company, and actually make 100% sure you know the job description. Try and work these into questions (be genuinely interested). Don't ask questions just to be 'noticed', actually think them through beforehand. Write down any questions that you need to know the answer to (pay, location, etc), nothing is worse than someone ummmming and errrring.

Look confident, smile, but don't appear smug or informal (no feet up on the interviewers desk!)

Remember that you're selling yourself, so no putdowns of yourself, even if they are as a joke.

The old trick questions: "What are your weaknesses" and "describe a situation where you made a mistake". Think of answers to these that are honest (no "sometimes I work so hard that my wife and I have an arguement when I get home), but that you can still put in a good light. My favourite is "I'm socially a bit shy around workmates in the initial weeks of a new job, and some can see me as a bit cold because of it. I've been working on my presentation and public speaking skills to try and help with this, and it has been improving" The best finish to the weakness question is to say how you're fixing it, andthat it's getting better.

Hope this helps, sorry for the ramble.

And remember, just relax and be yourself.
;o)
28/04/2006 at 08:58
wear white socks

tie undone

collar over jacket lapel

smell of fags and booze

stains on thighs of trousers

halitosis

wet handshake

nose stud

shades

scratching arse

all guaranteed no go areas
28/04/2006 at 09:00
well Gordon....if you weren't a nervous wreck before......you will be now! :D
28/04/2006 at 09:00
Remember you are interviewing them as much as them you. Find out about the company culture and the people you will be working for.
28/04/2006 at 09:21
Be honest. If you don't know don't waffle-I used to hate that.

If you decide halfway through that the job "isn't for you" (and it does happen) see the interview through with good grace. Its a bit insulting to have someone put the shutters up and not know why, and you never know, you might want that particular job, but another one might come up that suits you more...
28/04/2006 at 10:27
my tip is to be well groomed, smell nice, be honest and... do something that makes u feel gd before the interview so ur wide awake and in gd form

gd luck
28/04/2006 at 10:36
And switch your mobile phone off.
28/04/2006 at 10:45
Probably best to revise a bit of management bullsh't, this has become increasingly common in interviews these days.

Prepare yourself for 'what are your weaknesses?' - never be honest with this question.
28/04/2006 at 10:51
if they ask have u any questions for us- ask about their aims for the company in the next five years or summat- they love it- makes it look like u giv a shit

however if ur applyin for a job as a cleaner u mite look a bit mental

whats the job?
Duck Girl    pirate
30/04/2006 at 19:03
The careers people at uni always tell us to be polite to everyone from when you walk in the building, even if they don't appear to have anything to do with the interview (receptionists, cleaners, etc) - apparently it's not unknown for interviewers to check up on this.
30/04/2006 at 19:33
Always used to ask the security guards and the receptionists what interviewees were like.

Last thing I wanted was someone who didn't understand that those two groups of people were the ones you cultivated FIRST when you arrived on a new site....
30/04/2006 at 19:35
my mates mum told us always to know something they don't

her "something" was to wear no knickers

:-)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.