Job seekers allowance

5 messages
26/08/2011 at 17:31
Our son who has special needs left college this summer and instead of enrolling him on another course we/he decided it was time he went out into the real world and sought a job!

As a family we have never claimed the dole, or sought any additional benefits, but as he now no longer qualifies for child benefit, and looking for work will be a struggle I decided job seekers allowance would put him in the system. Best thing ever! They rang, he went for his interview, and they have arranged for 2 weeks retail experience starting next week.

A positive experience so far, and he said the staff were very supportive and helpful.

Hopefully this will give him a boost to his confidence,a lift to his CV, and a proper job will turn up!

For all those other parents out there with kids who need a little extra help, this so far is working well. Fingers crossed.

26/08/2011 at 19:56
Nice to hear the system is being used as it was intended, best of luck poster's son.
27/08/2011 at 13:16
That's really nice to hear, best of luck to him.
27/08/2011 at 18:15
I'm dont know what your son's needs are but has he tried claiming dla?  this is non means tested
Edited: 27/08/2011 at 18:17
seren nos    pirate
27/08/2011 at 18:20

Hope to finish........that is great news............my eldest is in college and has manhged to find himself a parttime job one evening a week.......he did the job voluntary for 4/5 years on saturdays so had manged to learn the job and get the confidence...........

Maybe if a job doesn't come for yourson after these weeks he might be able to get work experience......maybe something like the WVRS  at hospitals or in a charity shop......

good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.