Jobsworth ?

21 to 40 of 56 messages
26/11/2012 at 11:53
Tom. wrote (see)
"i'm no fan of pensioners clogging up the works"...what would you suggest, Euthanasia?

No, bit harsh. Some sort of curfew during peak hours and an ankle bracelet to ensure they stick to it.

26/11/2012 at 11:57

Seem to have gone off topic a bit here.

In response to the origional question - should I be allowed to travel one stop outside  zone 5 on my five zone travel card occasionally?

26/11/2012 at 12:12

Not a jobsworth and clearly she wasn't too distressed or in a rush or she would have stayed/paid/put up an arguement.~
Ref supermarket shopping at busy times: Company? How many families are scattered to the four corners these days and how many OAP's have little/no contact? (Ex retailer: Grocery trade: Sympathetic) We'll all be there sooner than we think. Let's build the world we want when it's our turn

26/11/2012 at 12:13
lardarse wrote (see)

Most people in the supermarket are a nightmare, especially WOMEN! They dilly dally over buying things, have to look at everything then buy the first thing they saw. I go in, know what I want, buy it march out! I can do a weeks shopping in 10 minutes easy.

Jobsworth's... call me cynical but people change their tune to suit themselves, one day honest john, next day back hander.

Actually, if we must bring gender into it, the worst people in the supermarket are men who have been sent to do the shopping but are completely clueless, so they're on their mobile phones asking which brand of baked beans to buy because they can't figure it out for themselves.

Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

Seem to have gone off topic a bit here.

In response to the origional question - should I be allowed to travel one stop outside  zone 5 on my five zone travel card occasionally?

No. People doing that sort of thing are one of the reasons we all have to pay over the top for our fares.

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 12:15
26/11/2012 at 14:46

I am only qualified to push the shopping trolly and the wife spends the whole time looking for me. 

26/11/2012 at 15:14

You sound like my OH Chershercat. I'll say. "Wait there, I'm just going to get X".

And does he wait? No, he wanders off down another aisle and I have to try and find him 

seren nos    pirate
26/11/2012 at 15:21

Have any of you thought that a lot of those oldies doing their shopping on the weekends are there because either they have a) job in the week as their pensions aren't enough nowadays..................or b).they look after their grandchildren in the week and know what a nightmare it would be to take them to the shops so wait until the lovely darlings are back with mummy and daddy.....

and if they pay their taxes and pay their shopping bills then they should be4 able to go when ever they damn like...........they are not secondclass citizens just because they are old..

but to the original point.just because they are old can they avoid paying the correct fare for the journey at that time

26/11/2012 at 16:44

given the value of pensions nowadays the poor cow was probably going to work

26/11/2012 at 16:52

Seren, I wasn't suggesting that elderly people shouldn't go shopping at the weekend, just saying that if I had the choice and could go whenever I wanted, I would pick the quietest time, rather than the busiest.

I thought that the free bus passes were meant for those who were retired and not working, and that's why they are only valid after the morning rush hour.  If you are still working, you should pay the fare.

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 16:53
26/11/2012 at 16:58

Wrong. Free bus passes are meant for people who are old enough to claim the state pension. People who claim the state pension can still work if they want to. A lot of people do full-time or part time work to keep their income up.

26/11/2012 at 17:00

Who said they were 2nd class citizens because they are old?

+1 Wilkie.  If I had the choice, old or not, I wouldn't choose the busy weekend to shop if I could avoid it!

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 17:01
26/11/2012 at 17:03

So either they're stupid because they're going at busy times or they're second-class citizens and shouldn't be getting in the way of more important people like the users of this forum! Some of the attitudes on here are amazing.

26/11/2012 at 17:11

I didn't say they were stupid.

26/11/2012 at 18:32
Pensioners havent got time to be clogging up supermarkets and busses, they're too busy putting on rock concerts and charging youngsters ??400 a time for the pleasure of watching them
26/11/2012 at 19:20

I'm a student and had been to do my shopping at Asda in Nottingham the other week. I got on the tram with 3 heavy bags of shopping. The conductor came up to me and I got my wallet out to pay. I was 20p short of the £1.90 single fare, so he made me get off and walk. Fair enough, rules are rules. I'm not going to argue with him.

Why should the rule for pensioners be different? The idea of setting a time limit for pensioners is so that people going to work can get on public transport. The pensioners have the rest of the day to shop.

Another thing that annoys me are pensioners in mobility scooters who almost mow you down, then scowl at you as if it's your fault for walking on the pavement.

26/11/2012 at 19:22
cougie wrote (see)
Is it any different from Osborne travelling first class when he didn't have the ticket.

I don't think it's a jobs worth situation. The guy is doing what he's paid to do.

Osbourne paid the increased fare when asked to. This pensioner refused to pay.

26/11/2012 at 19:50
What about the fact that she was limping and had a walking stick ? Obviously she might carry it around and limp to try and gain a sympathy vote, for all I know she might pull this trick every day. If she genuinely needed the walking stick would that have any influence on your decision to throw her off the bus if she didn't pay or let her have a 'free' ride ?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/11/2012 at 20:10

I am fundamentally opposed to the free bus pass anyway. When I rule the world, I will be getting rid of it immediately and reducing bus fares for everyone else who is subsiding old biddies on day trips to the sea side.

seren nos    pirate
26/11/2012 at 20:14
carterusm wrote (see)
What about the fact that she was limping and had a walking stick ? Obviously she might carry it around and limp to try and gain a sympathy vote, for all I know she might pull this trick every day. If she genuinely needed the walking stick would that have any influence on your decision to throw her off the bus if she didn't pay or let her have a 'free' ride ?

the limp does not mean she is unable to read the rules...............pay the full fare or ride when you are allowed

And i was responding to those that said they should be allowed to shop on the weekend.not those who thought that they personally would prefer it

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
26/11/2012 at 20:16
What's a bus ?
21 to 40 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.