jon Brown

to run for canada

1 to 20 of 40 messages
15/11/2007 at 07:58
who is Jon Brown? is he any good?
15/11/2007 at 08:04
But there's a long standing rule in my online quiz rooms that Canada is NEVER the answer. How can he suddenly decide he Canadian?
15/11/2007 at 08:08
Is he Canadian?
15/11/2007 at 08:08
In the name of Lennox Lewis, has the man so shame????
15/11/2007 at 08:09

If he's lived in Vancouver for years it begs the question why were we giving him lottery funding in the first place?

15/11/2007 at 08:10
greg ruzedski will have something to say about this
15/11/2007 at 08:18

Agree Haile.

15/11/2007 at 08:19

Absolutely!!

darned turn-coat!!!

15/11/2007 at 08:23

Mind you, thinking about it  - outside of actual races when did you ever hear anything about him? If he'd actually won a marathon the British press would be all over him.

By the same token he clearly wasn't running for GB out of any sense of patriotisom.

So all in all - who cares I suppose?

15/11/2007 at 08:24
patriotisom = patriotism (sorry, it's early)
Crash Hamster    pirate
15/11/2007 at 08:33

<chortle>

It's modern sport, innit?

Don't agree with it; you should get one 'pick'...once you've represented one country at international level (above U16, let's say) that should be it, you're committed for life. Otherwise, 'international sport' becomes just a high standard club match.

15/11/2007 at 08:35

I dunno',  is it a bit like one of us changing jobs for a better pay and conditions?

It's not patriotic but, he in effect has been sacked by UK-A. Would you work for your boss for no money except tips?

Contraversial I know but this was always going to happen. It's his profession and a short one at that.

15/11/2007 at 08:37
I like the idea that Saint Paula gets funding, she obviously needs it to pay for living abroad. If her 'nationality' was based on where she lives what would she be?
15/11/2007 at 08:37
Dead right Crash, you represent your country and that's it for life, or it should be. But if he's allowed to ......................
15/11/2007 at 09:10

Well I can only speak from personal experience.

My daughter married an Australian and went to live over there. Effectively the RWA became entirely disinterested in her at that point, even though she'd not expressed a desire to do anything but represent GB.

Given that race walking is a cinderella event here anyway, when the ARWA began to make overtures and offered her a place on their elite support programme she'd have been daft to turn them down. I certainly wont have any qualms about turning up in London in 2012 (should fortune favour her) with a very large Australian flag.

At the end of the day UKA took their eye off the ball and now the ball has been pinched by someone else.

The same thing happened to Fiona May the long jumper. Married an Italian, got into the Italian elite set up - won a long jump gold for Italy. UKA weren't interested in her as a GB competitor, so they could hardly complain when she switched.

(I always remember dera old Ron Pickering burbling about how Britain should be proud at the medal ceremony - erm no Ron we should be thoroughly ashamed for letting such a talent slip through our fingers)

Brown's never got the credit he deserved for two fine Olympic Marathons performances in difficult conditions. OK he can be a bit abrasive but he's deserved better support from the great and the good in UKA. So I for one wish him well.

15/11/2007 at 09:24

I'm in two minds about this one fellas. Ok, so he's a British athlete and he's "jumped ship" for Canada. That's quite sad, but... He wasn't getting the support he needed from this country. I think it probably says more about how UKA and the Lottery people treat their bitches.

15/11/2007 at 09:30

As scary as it is, I agree with DM!!

Do2    pirate
15/11/2007 at 09:39

Soooo,

to pick up on earlier comments,

they get Jon Brown, and we get Lennox Lewis, Owen Hargreaves, and Greg Rusedski.

On balance, I think its about an even swap, don't you?

15/11/2007 at 09:39

Well we dont know what overtures the Canadians have made. If they're offering him elite support then he'd be daft to turn it down out of unrequited loyalty. So the siuation isn't that disimilar form that I've described, apart from the fact that FR junior was never getting any money anyway.

I'm afraid the days of the plucky brits winning gold medals on a diet of bread and dripping whilst doing their training between shifts down the local pit have long gone. It costs hard cash. JB, on the basis of results is the best male marathon runner we have. UKA have obviously taken the decision that their cash is better spent elsewhere (probably on yet more mediocre sprinters). Patriotism doesn't pay the bills.

15/11/2007 at 09:45
LOL! Well put, FR!
1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.