Junket

..?

11 messages
11/09/2002 at 15:32
I get invitations to lots of press junkets. Do they count?
11/09/2002 at 15:35
I have only ever come across junket once. It was in a collection of Enid Blyton stories and the tale concerned was called "Junket Out the Window". Yes, it was about two naughty children who threw their nutritious but revolting junket out the nursery window every night until one time it landed on top of a grumpy old goblin, who cast a spell...and I can't remember what happened next, but in the end they ALWAYS ate their junket nicely and smiled and said "Thank you, Mummy."

My granny used to threaten us with junket if we didn't eat our semolina and jam or rice pud. I was a milk-pudding hater from the start, but the threat worked.
11/09/2002 at 15:42
I've got no idea what Junket is, but here is a recipe. Looks like a sort of custard. If you apply a blow torch at the end, you could have a creme brule. If anyone tries to make this, any feedback would be appreciated:

570ml (1 pint) Full Cream Milk
2 tsp Brandy or Rum (optional)
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Rennet
Cinnamon, to taste
Grated Nutmeg, to taste

Place the milk in saucepan with sugar and warm gently to blood heat.
Stir to dissolve sugar.
Remove pan from heat, add the brandy or rum (If used).
Pour into a serving dish.
Stir in rennet and set aside to set at room temperature for 2 hours.
When set add on cinnamon and nutmeg then chill in fridge.
Serve with sugar to taste and sweetened whipped cream.
11/09/2002 at 15:43
Mmmmmmmmmmmm - yes, junket, milk made all slithery and gelatinous from the judicious admixture of the scrapings of an animal's stomach lining. yes, indeed, bring back the good old days of British cooking. anything Enid Blyton had to propagandize for had to be bad news.
11/09/2002 at 16:47
I seem to remember it tasted almost exactly like phlegm!
11/09/2002 at 17:37
Didn't your Mum get you any cough medecine?
11/09/2002 at 18:11
Tin jug full of boiling water, couple of spoons of Vic dissolved in the water, towel over the head - lovely. Where are the cold cures of yesteryear?
11/09/2002 at 18:27
We're not allowed to give our kids Vick inhalations nowadays in case the little darlings spill hot water on themselves. It's a crazy world.

When I was pregnant, every time, I got a huge craving for the smell of menthol and eucalyptus. Apart from sucking Mentho-Lyptus, I used to sniff Johnson's Easi-Breathe Bath Oil and put menthol crystals in my own bath.
11/09/2002 at 18:41
Inhalations, yes - vile but they worked. Probably all the sweating!

We also had these weird magic lantern type contraptions in which you used to have a night-light candle that vaporised some appalling concoction of menthol and tar or something. It used to cast these spooky, wobbly shadows on the wall all night - the last thing you want when you're running a high fever.

Fisherman's Friends too - we used to have competitions at school to see how many you could bear to eat. Less than one mostly. Astonishingly there appears to be a market for these still!

Melloids - we had a teacher who was literally addicted to these, never stopped eating them, he had this curious technique of deftly sliding them into the corner of his mouth, and it became a great fad to "pop a Melloid", weird little black things that tasted a bit like liquorice - do they still make them?
11/09/2002 at 20:04
The magic lantern thing was called a vaporiser, or at least that's what my mum called it. Sounds more like something from Star Wars.

The smell was very comforting when I was a nipper and had a cold. I seem to recall the stuff you poured in being probably quite toxic, and the whole thing being a potential fire hazard.

Ah, those were the days. Youngsters don't live life on the edge any more like we did.

11/09/2002 at 20:11
Vaporiser - heavens, yes you're right. The memories come flooding back - feels like being connected to an ancient, lost civilization. Being a wimp as a child (well, still am, I guess), I was always terrified of being incinerated in my bed.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.