Kate, Katie, Catherine, Cate, Katherine etc...

Post here.

21 to 40 of 43 messages
13/02/2013 at 10:00

Hard ruler? There has to be a Dick joke in there somewhere....

13/02/2013 at 10:02

All three of my children have adopted versions of their names that are longer than their official names, by adding "ie" on the end. I guess I gave them too-short names.

To me, "Kate" always makes me think of taming of the shrew. Benefit of my classical education I guess.

13/02/2013 at 10:17

My uncle was named Bernard, but was always called Bunny.

I didn't know that this wasn't actually his name until I was about 12.

I've never been very keen on my name, but not to the point where I could be bothered to change it.

13/02/2013 at 10:32

KK - adaptable names
- Isabelle (a); Isabel; Isobel; Issy (Issie); Isa; Bella; Sabella; Ibbie
- Elizabeth; Beth; Liz; Lzzy; Liza; Eli;

Isobel and Elizabeth are the same name.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
13/02/2013 at 10:49
*Still laughing that Furball is called Regina*
You CAN shorten Laura. People call me Lau, pronounced LAW. I get LB all the time when my initials are LA, which confuses the hell out of people and Mr LB calls me LJ, which adds to the mix!
I answer to most things

My pet hate is people who give a child a name that you think you should be able to spell but they make it slightly weirdly spelled 'to be different'.
So you might get a Cathrin or a Kaycee and the poor cow spends her WHOLE life saying 'no....not like that'. ARRRRGGGHHHH,
13/02/2013 at 11:00

William being shortened to Bill or Billy? Where's the B come from!

Also heard Gareth or Gary shortened to Gaz or Gazza.

Amanda shortened to Mandy - my wife hates that although she doesn't mind Mand which is what most people call her. 

Also my friends parents called their son Ian as they didn't want people shortening his name, but friends often call him "E".

LIVERBIRD    pirate
13/02/2013 at 11:09
My youngest used to hate her name being shortened. Now she is known at school by the shortened version and embraces it. It's her name. She can be known as whatever she likes.
My niece has actually CHANGED her name by deed poll aged 16 to 'Skara'. We're all struggling not to call her Hannah because a) Skara is a made up name b) We have no idea what's wrong with Hannah..... :-/
13/02/2013 at 11:13

I always try to call people what they say they're called, but I think I would struggle with Skara too!

Where I work people tend to be quite international and the main criterion when picking baby names is that they should 'work' in as many relevant countries as possible.

13/02/2013 at 11:18

My wife is Kate, Katie to her family, but Katharine to her mother when she's pretending she's done something wrong. 

Interestingly, Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin was called Buzz because his sister couldn't say the word 'brother' properly - it came out something like 'buzzer'.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
13/02/2013 at 11:21
So are you a Peter or a Pete? Or do you not mind? My brother is Peter. He isn't fussed really which you use.
13/02/2013 at 11:41

I'm Katie in most situations (including official ones), Kathryn (with a French accent) in France (because they can't get their head round Katie and think it's Kathy), and Kate to my parents because they're too lazy to say more than one syllable. Also Kate to my parents' friends because they think that's what I'm called!

13/02/2013 at 11:48

I'm Christopher. people ask me what i'd prefer, christopher or chris. i say christopher. they call me chris anyway.

i actually don't really mind. but don't ask me for a preference then ignore it.

gingerfurball    pirate
13/02/2013 at 11:59
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
*Still laughing that Furball is called Regina*

Thanks Law 

13/02/2013 at 12:08

The royal virgina?

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 12:09
13/02/2013 at 13:08

Prince Harry is really Henry and why do those two go together?

Wikipedia suggests Harry is the shortened version of Henry - now my maths isn't brilliant but I can count up to at least 5 and they have the same number of letters based on the number of fingers I have

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 13:11
13/02/2013 at 13:18

It's the speed of saying the name, isn't it?

Henry has quite a long first syllable and, if you say it quickly, it becomes Harry.

13/02/2013 at 14:57

Henry-Harry

Harry was the Medieval English form of the Germanic name, Heimiric or Henry.

More information about names & alternatives, here:

http://voices.yahoo.com/nicknames-john-became-jack-other-odd-nicknames-765885.html

13/02/2013 at 17:09

A mate of mine is called Justin he hates his name so we call him Pub Grub which describes his diet.

Its shirtended to to

Pub
Grub
The Grub
Grubster
Grubby
Pubster

And Oi fatty

He does have another nickname  Lipstick Su but thats another story 

13/02/2013 at 17:45
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
So are you a Peter or a Pete? Or do you not mind? My brother is Peter. He isn't fussed really which you use.

I'm mainly Peter, but sometimes my wife calls me Pete. So does my dad. My older brother calls me Pedro, which I hate.

13/02/2013 at 18:41

I'll answer to anything as long as its not intended to be derogatory.  I get called SC, Caz, Cazzy, C in real life, as well as a few variations on my real name.

21 to 40 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.