Kids at uni

Parental support

21 to 26 of 26 messages
08/01/2013 at 10:37
seren nos wrote (see)

they are adults not kids...........let them sort their own money out...........if they have to earn or borrow what they need then they will be more careful how they spend it........

the sensible arrangement is to let them be adults ........and make their own mistakes regarding money......

otherwise its just like the mobile phones.............they go over their limit.... daddy sorts them out a bigger limit whilst giving them a lecture..............they spens to much money at uni.....daddy gives them more whilst giving them a lecture...............

they remortgage their homes to the hilt and daddy sorts them out with a lecture........

And then they end up running the country.

08/01/2013 at 10:57
aimingforfaster wrote (see)

I would agree with the suggestion that he gets a part time job to subsidise his social life. By all means give him a small allowance towards travel and course materials but from my experience give him too much and he will never learn the value of money. And don't listen to him saying working would not give him enough time to study; I worked 16-20 hours a week during term time (full time in holidays) on a science course with up to 25 contact hours per week and still came out with a 1st class degree. The only exception could be medicine but I presume that is not the case when he is in Penrith.

+1

If you can get a degree working full time (and I have) you can certainly get a part time job to support you through uni.

08/01/2013 at 10:57

I had to pay my own accommodation and tuition fees and still had to pay all of my loans myself. I got myself into a bit of debt but soon got a job. My parents supported as much as they could (e.g. buying shopping when they came up) but normally I fended for myself and rationed my spending/budget. It wasn't easy but I soon learnt the value of a pound.

08/01/2013 at 11:51

can i just ask what he spent his first installment of his loan on to blow it all straight away?  i blew my first lot on booze - the norm!  If you were to subsidise him each week what is to say that he wont just use that as booze money and come to rely on you to support his social life?

if you want to help - assist with the important things, buy his books and help with food etc.  if he wants to spend more than he has on partying and things that are not necessary tell him he will need to get a job to support himself or use an overdraft like most other students do.  he will soon get to grips with it! 

11/01/2013 at 11:36

Working to what is essentially a quarterly budget with lots of big expenses up front is tricky for lots of people, let alone someone who probably hasn't done that much budgeting before. I would suggest that once the accommodation fees are paid for this term, that the rest of the loan is put in a savings account (no card) and a standing order set up to drip feed it into his current account weekly (not forgetting the Easter holidays), so he always knows what is available to spend each week. You can also dripfeed to his current account if you wish.

Depending on the course, part-time jobs can be detrimental to grades, and I wouldn't recommend more than about 10 hrs per week.

I mostly lived off my overdraft and cards and then worked hard in the summer to get me back to the black before the next year started, I highly recommend this option, if he can get somewhere to guarantee a full summer of work. My final year was a close run thing, because of accommodation costs, but I knew it was going to be bad because I'd already done a rough budget (very little help from parents available other than a few grocery shops). I don't think asking him to do one is patronising, and it only needs to be rough. I think I had about £15 wk for food (checked for offers/reduced section pretty much everyday on my way home). Clothes and music were never that important to me, so I mostly didn't bother unless I needed them. Had a £15/m phone contract. I rarely went home in term time, although I did go to the boyfriend's once a month. Coaches are much cheaper than trains, and not always that much slower.

11/01/2013 at 17:08

I did my degree at John Moores Uni from my late 20s to early 30s holding down a full time job, whilst married with Kids, paid all my own fees and then took different jobs with decent payrises on completion and as I gained more experience, no one has to do it the traditional way, student life is a life choice

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.