Kindle

Are they as good as they seem?

21 to 40 of 161 messages
08/01/2011 at 15:11

I second all the positive reviews......... my wife bought me one for Christmas, and I love it.......

I'm re-acquanting myself with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and have got many funny looks on the train when I laugh out loud at something.....

YP

08/01/2011 at 15:30
Mouse, was going to suggest you check my kindle out when we meet.  Will definitely have it with me.
08/01/2011 at 16:13
Another happy user here as well. Got mine in early december and have just kept reading ever since. What with lots of free titles as well and coupled with some great books at less than £1 i don't think you can go wrong.
08/01/2011 at 16:30
It should be here by Tuesday, I'm so excited
08/01/2011 at 16:32
Have you put books on it already Beebs?
08/01/2011 at 16:33
I've got 8 on my Wish list, UK and started to look through freebies.
08/01/2011 at 16:38
Cool.  I ordered several books at the same time as the kindle so they were already on there when it arrived.  Out of the box and started reading
08/01/2011 at 16:40

Shame you can't buy Kindle books from other people's wish lists yet. Not sure how the Tantra book will go with the Kindle though Beebs  

08/01/2011 at 16:46

UK, just bought the 8 I'd chosen, thanks

08/01/2011 at 16:47
lol LN
08/01/2011 at 16:50
08/01/2011 at 17:02
love it, love it, love it.
perfect for one handed reading when hooked to the platelette machine for 2 hrs every fortnight.
Ironholgs    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:31

love my kindle to, best pressie i ever received. Am an avid reader and I think I've actually read more since getting one. Got about 100 books on mine, keeping me out of trouble

09/01/2011 at 22:35
Is your book available on Kindle, Holgs?
Ironholgs    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:45
Not yet, but I'm hoping it will be as actual book sales have been good making it a bestseller in the sports biography category. I asked the publisher about it, they said if the book took off they'd probably release an electronic version.
09/01/2011 at 22:48

cool!

I'll be looking for it at the end of the month

09/01/2011 at 22:59
evil, evil things - i appreciate it is an entirely irrational and possibly Luddite fear, but i just don't see what is so wrong with books in the first place - what needed fixing? where will the character of the curled pages of a well-loved book go? Don't tell me that despite the improved sound quality, vast amounts have gone from listening to music since the demise of vinyl and nice big covers to look at - in the case of books the reading experience is no different reading some wanky electronic thing compared to a printed page and no equivalent improvement to compensate for all those intangible sensory losses. I love my bookshelves - the spines of all those memories sitting there. Seems it's just me though 
10/01/2011 at 08:00

The Kindle didn't perform too well in this test.

Ironholgs    pirate
10/01/2011 at 10:10

that's a class test.

Nothing wrong with books and I really appreciate them, I'm a librarian and author, my wife is also a librarian. I got a Kindle because we've just had a baby and had to make room in our small house, painfully a lot of books went.
So practical reasons mean that I can now store my new books in a lot less space.

E-readers whatever the make won't be for everyone.

10/01/2011 at 11:10

The ebooks do seem very expensive.   I was looking at Cathy Cassidy books as my eldest is going through her novels at the moment - on Amazon you can get the book cheaper than the kindle download.     Then I had a look at a couple of cycling biographies - Lance Armstrong and Robert Millar - same thing cheaper in paperback.     Then I had a look for the novel I'm reading at the moment - it's a penguin modern classic so not exactly obscure but they don't even have it for download.

I can see how they suit some people - if you travel a lot maybe -seems a shame as I like the idea of being able to access lots of books cheaply but it doesn't seem to offer that for the sort of stuff I would read.   

21 to 40 of 161 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.