Kindle

Are they as good as they seem?

141 to 160 of 160 messages
04/10/2012 at 18:40

apparently VAT is applied to electronic books, but not to printed copy. I think .........

04/10/2012 at 18:41

I love my kindle, but really disappointed with the lack of a library loan option for current books etc 

IronCat5    pirate
04/10/2012 at 18:46

Loon. wrote (see)

apparently VAT is applied to electronic books, but not to printed copy. I think .........

Aye, as they're providing a service.

04/10/2012 at 18:48

I go for the free books or the books under a quid, there are some good ones out there

04/10/2012 at 18:49

The replacement kindle arrived today

04/10/2012 at 18:51
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

An update.....

On Saturday, Dad of Jr broke the replacement kindle that he got in June. I have just got off the wrong to Kindle Support after admitting that the damage was all down to Dad of Jr.

Even though it's what I would consider accidental damage and even though it was replacing a kindle that was outside warranty, Amazon are sending me a free replacement as THIS kindle was still inside warranty

Once again, Kindle Support have exceeded all expectations and I am one very happy bunny

Yes, Amazon's customer service is superb. My dad gave me a Kindle for Xmas. A couple of months later I knelt on it and broke the screen and basically bent it in two. I didn't want my dad to find out I'd wrecked his gift and phoned Amazon to ask about the possibility of paying to have it fixed. They told me as it was still under warranty they would send me a brand new replacement, even after I repeated several times that I'd broken it myself through plain stupidity. I was worried they'd send me a new one then change their minds and charge me for it but there really was no catch at all, the replacement arrived within 24 hours, and my dad never had to find out I trashed his present. I suppose it's in their interest to keep you using Kindles as you can only buy Kindle books from them - they won't want you to go off and buy a Kobo instead and get your books elsewhere. Still, I was totally impressed with their customer service.

04/10/2012 at 18:56

that's really good customer service runs-with-dogs. s far I've not had to use the customer service (frantically crosses fingers) but I'd be lost if mine broke. 

04/10/2012 at 19:37
Amazon really are the best I know for customer services.
05/10/2012 at 09:36

Agree with that.  Everytime i've called them with a question or issue - they've been superb at resolving it within 24 hours.

09/10/2012 at 15:26

I like the fact that if you buy a book on Kindle, you have 7 days to reject it. You simply go to 'Manage my Kindle' and get a refund.

It means, if the book's rubbish, you haven't wasted your money.

It also means, if you bought a book by accident, you can get your money back.

09/10/2012 at 21:48

Apologies for highjacking this thread (but I don't think I'm the first to do it), but does anybody know anything about the Kindle Fire that's about to be released ?

Are they as good as they seem ? I want one to use as a tablet, read books, surf the web watch movies etc, but was wondering if anybody has an opinion. They seem great value.

10/10/2012 at 12:00

They seem a good value tablet, but like all tablets it will be harder to read in direct sunlight then using eInk.  Basically they are like most screens it will have glare and reflection. I haven't seen one so I don't  know how much glare etc... it might be perfectly acceptable but I can tell you that on a really bright summers day it's impossible to read outside on an iPad, and this might not be as bad.... but it will still be a lot harder than on a kindle.

It looks great value, for me, if I was buying a tablet it would be the HD Amazon Fire or iPad.

10/10/2012 at 12:13

or google nexus 7? similar priced to the kindle fire...both quite a bit cheaper than an ipad - and both have various pros and cons. I think the kindles are better for reading outside...

IronCat5    pirate
10/10/2012 at 15:29

Remember Kindle Fire is not a 'Kindle' in the ebook sense, but is an Android tablet. As Booktrunk says - it's a backlit screen, so will not read as easily as a 'Kindle'.

If you want an ebook, get a proper Kindle. If you want a tablet, consider the Kindle Fire/Nexus/Galaxy Tab/etc.

10/10/2012 at 18:51

Thanks for the replies. I'd say it will be more for use as a tablet and the times I'll be reading it outside in bright sunlight will be fairly low (living in the west of Ireland and all that).

10/10/2012 at 19:26
Hehe, hard to beat the for the price as a tablet.
02/11/2012 at 22:29

Here's a book I wrote and published on Kindle last year. Free for the next 4 days, if anyone wants a copy on their Kindle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACKWELLS-MARCH-ebook/dp/B004TMMQF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351857272&sr=8-1

All criticism gratefully received.

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 22:32
03/11/2012 at 08:11

FWIW I have an anti-glare screen on my tablet and it's made a huge reduction to the glare issue from sun light or office lights!

24/06/2014 at 23:09

Any thoughts on what's available now please? Doesn't need to be too fancy for me; just so I can read stuff on the train

26/06/2014 at 11:46

I'm a Kindle fan, and the bog standard Kindle would be ideal.  Long battery life, lightweight and easy to read.  If you are likely to want to read it in the dark, the paperwhite is apparently great, but £50 dearer (standard is £59).

I have a Fire, but it's a tablet so is bigger, heavier, and I suspect more fragile (although it tends to live by my bed, so I've not tested the theory).  The battery life is also much shorter (especially if like me you get distracted by the apps/internet and forget to read......).

However, if your train is busy and you have to stand a lot, I did notice the Kobo Mini in WH Smith recently.  It's *tiny*.  On the downside, it doesn't have the great reviews for useability and customer service that the Kindle has, but it's certainly portable.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 160 of 160 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.