Ladies, a personal question.

1 to 20 of 285 messages
kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2010 at 08:18
PMS, period pain etc...

How much do you suffer or don't you? Does your period ever interfere with your training/racing?

I have never had PMS, ever... I don't know when my period is coming, it's always been irregular. What I do get is pain when it's actually here, just a low dull ache.

I think I'm pretty lucky that I don't suffer too much with the whole being a woman thing.

What does PMS realistically do to people? I think it's been blown out of proportion by some, but conversely, some women seem to lose half of their month to it.

Thoughts?
26/05/2010 at 08:22

PMS is an evil cruel mind altering b*stard. I am either  weeping or raging harridan.

I also get body dysmorphia some months where an arm could feel the size of an enormous thigh. 

It is vile, debilitating but luckily usually only lasts 3-4 days 

Edited: 26/05/2010 at 08:23
PloddingOn    pirate
26/05/2010 at 08:28
I would rather have PMS, menopause and periods than fibroids
kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2010 at 08:42
There are so many possible problems linked to the menstrual cycle...
26/05/2010 at 08:46

i thought PMT was one of those urban myths....

kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2010 at 08:51
I've heard that you're quite unbearable for a couple of weeks every month haile.
26/05/2010 at 08:55
thats a good month
26/05/2010 at 09:19

unlikely (what happened to the 'haile'?)

I get absolutely crippled by my monthly cycle KK. I have stage 4 endometriosis and am getting rather proficient in growing large ovarian cysts every month. The endo grows in my bowel as well, and is possibly the cause of ulcerative colitis. So when it's not one thing, it's another. I try and keep up my training as much as possible, but I've gone from being GFA to a plodder in the space of 4 years as it's got progressively worse. Being fitter helps me feel better, but at certain times of the month I can barely walk because of the intensity of the pain and running would be foolhardy!

I feel what I assume is 'normal' for about 3 days a month and tend to go hell for leather with training then - otherwise, I have to really listen to my body. I've gone hill running and ruptured cysts before, which is a whole heap of not fun. Overall there are MUCH worse things to have though, it's just a case of getting on with things, sorting out pain relief and finding the best way to deal with it.

PO - totally agree with you there, chick

26/05/2010 at 09:26

Swollen boobs are a running hazard for me, even strapping them into my favourite Shockabsorber is painful

However, it's the only time of the month I have a discernable chest, so that's a bit of compensation

I find the slight temperature rise difficult too and then the dull ache you mentioned KK isn't pleasant.

But on the whole, it's absolutely nowhere near as delibitating as the conditions you've mentioned, Sossige and PO. So will make a mental note not to moan. However, my pre-menstural self may be less reasonable

26/05/2010 at 09:29
Frodo, everyone has different pain thresholds, and you have every right to moan and feel like crap x
PloddingOn    pirate
26/05/2010 at 09:36

Soss goes through hell all the tim, Frodo

Mine was only a year 

26/05/2010 at 09:39
A year too long though Plodders!
Nam
26/05/2010 at 09:42

I am very very tired the week leading up to my period, where I need more sleep and fatigue much easier than normal.  Any race falling on that week is bound not to be a PB, and it's real it's not just "in my head".  I also feel generally a bit more 'vulnerable' that week and am more likely to snap about stuff I'd normally walk away from.

The moment I'm 'on' I'm absolutely fine and back to normal energy levels.  I'm lucky that my periods are pretty much pain free apart from a bit of discomfort on the first day. 

I also noticed a link between heavier periods and being a higher weight.  Now that I lost a stone I find them no problem again but when I was bigger they were worse.

26/05/2010 at 09:44

I had all mine whipped out as it was absolute agony due to cysts, endometriosis, scar tissue and other such nasty stuff.

Best thing I ever did.... drastic but effective.

I can run now, I'm pain free and I can stand up without it feeling like someone is ripping me in half Bonus!!

Lee the Pea    pirate
26/05/2010 at 09:47

Bloody hell Sossidge, that is hellish   Sorry to hear you suffer so much.  Is this something than can be 'cured' as such, or it is just a case of managing it forever?  I hope the former....

I was just going to say that I get really crap PMT in terms of total lack of energy, irritability and get really emotional and feel really down.  The best way to describe it is I just feel sort of 'dead' emotionally, as if i'm flat lining.  I know what it is though, so it doesn't worry me, but it is crap because I can't shift it or make myself feel less 'dead' if you know what I mean.  Feel like that every month for 1 week, like clock work.  It really does affect my training too, because the bones in my legs feel really heavy and I struggle to get any energy or power out of them.  This is probably why the Bala bike ride killed me couple of weeks ago, as it was my PMT week, and also explains the tears at mile 5! hahahaha.  I'm hoping the actual race won't be the same because it is right in the middle of the wrong week, bugger!

That said, it is managable, and the period pains aren't usually too bad.  The severity of the symptons are much reduced if i've been consistently exercising in the previous couple of weeks, and if i've been eating properly, which is good.

kittenkat    pirate
26/05/2010 at 09:57
Crikey Sossidge, sorry to hear about all of that.

Nam, you mention weight, I'm very unusual in that I have more regular periods, the lighter I am. I remember a very rude nurse at the hospital when I was trying to conceive littlest kitten. She told me that Clomiphene wasn't working because I didn't weigh enough, and that they wouldn't even look at me for further treatment unless I put on at least 3/4 of a stone. She then scanned my ovaries, gave me a withering look and said I wasn't ovulating.

I held it in there but went outside and burst into tears. You only get a 3 month window on Clomiphene and it was a stressful time.

Anyway, turns out she was WRONG, I had ovulated that month and I was pregnant
26/05/2010 at 10:00
kittenkat wrote (see)
Nam, you mention weight, I'm very unusual in that I have more regular periods, the lighter I am.

Me too!

I'm weepy today. And the boobs feel huge (I know it's all relevant, would anyone else notice?!). Guess what time of the month it is

Ultra AJH    pirate
26/05/2010 at 10:03

I get the flat week, the week before. I find being sociable hard work and and am easily irritated.

Mood lifts when I come on but pain can stop me sleeping for a couple of days which has got worse the older I have got, though I have found that codeine and paracetamol helps. Although I dont want to excercise when I feel like that sometimes it can be a big help.

26/05/2010 at 10:13

Pea, sounds like you really go through it with PMT. Mine is a condition I'm going to have to manage for life - the only thing that could help break the endo down is having kids.

KK, I'm going on Clomid as well, from next month - but for 6 months. It's very very unlikely I'll ever be able to have children, but they think it'll provide a respite from the ovarian cysts for a while. Otherwise, I'm going down the same road as Shims.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/05/2010 at 10:13

I am a gynaecological disaster area. I was told about 5 years ago its a good job I've had my kids because there's no chance now.

Recently though I have been much better from a pain point of view. Up until about 6 months ago, if I'd have had a race on day one of period I would probably have had to DNS due to not actually being able to stand UP straight.

Being on antidepressants has completely removed my PMT too but I don't recommend that as a treatment for menstrual mood swings!

1 to 20 of 285 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.