Lambing

Scores on the doors

1 to 20 of 291 messages
07/02/2008 at 11:24

As I have to keep a tally anyway, I thought I'd post it on here. I'll try to keep it updated.

Swaledales

No of Ewes :   182   

Left to lamb: 150

Live lambs:   34     

Mortality: 1

Cheviots

No of Ewes :   36  

Left to lamb: 32

Live lambs:   4   

Mortality:  0

Wensleydales

No of Ewes :  4  

Left to lamb: 4

Live lambs:  0   

Mortality:  0

No of hours sleep in last 24

Me : 5  

Mrs FR: 7 

Charlie: 7

07/02/2008 at 11:25
as the 1st Welshman to respond

I'd like a pretty one please.....

07/02/2008 at 11:27
What's your PB?
Stump    pirate
07/02/2008 at 11:28
I'm worried about the infant mortality rates in Swaledales now........
07/02/2008 at 11:30
wow you get loads of sleep!
07/02/2008 at 11:31
Yes, I agree, Stump. Mind you, it looks as if there have been some Swaledale twins too!
07/02/2008 at 11:32

That's lovely FR (except the mortality ).

Does there have to be someone on hand 24/7?

Do you use artificial insemination so they all 'pop' at the same time? 

07/02/2008 at 11:33
Why are your cheeses giving birth to baby lambkins?
07/02/2008 at 11:33
Aza.. you may have noticed the rapid birthing following welsh celebraions following the rugby last week...
07/02/2008 at 11:34
What happened in the rugby last week?
07/02/2008 at 11:39

Re mortality - I'll be annoyed if it gets into double figures, though in a bad year it can go up to 5%. Normally they're still born twins. We have an "Intensive care unit" consisting of half a dozen cardboard boxes beside the aga. Unoccupied at present.

Saving up on sleep.

Swaledales are (artificially inseminated) - Cheviots and Wensleys still get to sh*g. When the flock gets over 100 its not physically possible for the Rams to "keep up" .

07/02/2008 at 11:41

Now FR. I am going to ask you something that has been bugging me for 27 years. I remember when I was very small, asking my Dad why lambs leap up vertically as they do when they're playing (at least I assume they're playing, it looks fun). He said that it was because they have worms and the worms are tickling their bumholes and so they do a big jump. *glares at whoever that is laughing at her*

Is it true? Or did my Dad.....lie to me?!?!

My husband is going to wet himself laughing when he reads this. He's been telling me for years that it was a joke but, you know, my Dad told me.

07/02/2008 at 11:43

How many ladies can a gent, er... manage?

(I'm not being a pervert - my best mate is a pig farmer. He's got 800 breeding sows and only two males. Poor b*ggers have spawned thousands of piggy-wiggies but remain technically 'virgins') 

07/02/2008 at 11:44

Partly true - they're born with worms. Dont think thats why they jump though - its just the joy of being alive I think. Perhaps us humans ought to do that a bit more often.

07/02/2008 at 11:46

Hm, so the mystery continues!

Thanks FR.

I saw a little lamb in a field once whilst I was out running who was dead  Hope you don't have too many more mortalities. Is it the case that twins don't usually not survive?

07/02/2008 at 11:49
I keep one Ram per generation. I have about 5 generations of breeding ewes (although I keep them until they die of old age which can be up to 12 years). The trouble  is that the Rams start to try to "do " all the girls, and then they start to fight, and it all gets out of hand and unmanageable.
07/02/2008 at 11:52
There's always a weaker twin. Sometimes they're not properly developed. A lot of the time they're OK though. Pity some of the lowland breeds. They have triplets and quads, and they lamb twice a year !!
07/02/2008 at 11:54
and following on from Dr Nic's "lambs a leaping" question

is it just me or do lambs these days seem a damn sight more docile than I recall??? when I look at the lambs around here (Southdowns and Romneys mainly) they don't seem to leap about or form gangs that go rampaging around..........maybe it's a breed thing?? they're so boring these days.......

and - why does my missus go stupid and ga-ga like she's 3 years old again when she sees a lamb??? it's embarrassing!!
flyaway    pirate
07/02/2008 at 12:00

Lowland sheep can easily cope with twins. Some breeds are like dairy cows too and produce shed loads of milk, so they can raise nice big twins. Bluefaced Leicesters are like that. Except they are notorious for laying on their lambs. That sucks. But anyway, yeah, 2 is the best number of lambs for a sheep to have. 3 is too many, 1 is a wasted teat!!!

FR - have you noticed, sheep can count to 2, but no higher? If you take away a triplet, they dont notice, but they DO notice if they lose a twin. Of course, sometimes they dont care....

As for them jumping - sorry Nic, but my professional veterinary opinion is that your Dad lied to you.

Good luck with the season, FR. I like Swaleys. I almost miss lambing, but although its an enormously lucrative thing for me to do (2 years ago I made almost £3000 doing night lambing!) its not very conducive to IM training!! Its always the choice - do I lamb, or train for a marathon (or whatever). I'm impressed you manage to run after a night in the sheds!!

flyaway    pirate
07/02/2008 at 12:02

FB - I think it depends how old, fat and lazy they become. They perk up a bit when they get the sun on their backs though!!!

Alternatively, maybe the lambie youfs of today spend too much time in front of the TV...

1 to 20 of 291 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.