Languages and Music at school

waste of time ?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
27/09/2012 at 15:38
RicF wrote (see)

Music and learning to play instruments. Sheer inate ability is what counts here. You can practise all you like but it won't make the slightest bit of difference if you aren't born with the music gene. Why do you think some people can just play. Just show them where to put their fingers and away they go. 

Which came first, the music, or the music gene?  Which evolutionary disaster meant that pianists arose to prominence?  I presume this isn't a gene we share with any other mammal, or did the banjo playing marmosets die out through inbreeding?

27/09/2012 at 17:10

I'm pretty sure there's some research which suggests that if you do 10,000 hours of practice you will play an instrument well.  I suspect that talent is what takes you from playing well to playing brilliantly after the 10,000 hours.  If you look at the finalists in any major music competition (say BBC Young Musician) most of them started young and practise a lot.  None of them picked up their instrument a few months ago.  To my mind it's more that if you like something, you don't notice so much that it's taking work and effort to improve. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/09/2012 at 18:56

I would agree with that. I have a natural ability for languages and was fluent in French in school. I was turned down for the German course because the teacher said I was only in the B class for Latin and would never learn German. I am now often mistaken for a native speaker - I learned German by living in the country, reading the papers, listening to the radio,watching TV, and talking to people. I really think it's an innate ability, my OH has lived here as long as I have and still has very rudimentary German languge skills. Everybody has different abilities - I am the first to admit I'm hopeless at maths, science and any kind of practical skill. OH is able to make and/or fix anything, something I cannot do at all.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.