Lasagna

how to make.please help

21 to 31 of 31 messages
03/04/2012 at 14:54
Thinking about it, probably the reason I haven't done it for a while is because it takes feckin ages to do properly.  You want well over an hour for the sauce, then all the layering, plenty of time in the oven... in fact my brother used to clear all the kitchen surfaces, cover them with flour and actually make the pasta  Now that was a full-on military operation.  I think even he buys the pasta sheets these days.
seren nos    pirate
03/04/2012 at 15:04
i like to make most meals from scratch.but making pasta would be a step too far from me........and I cheat and use frozen garlic so that its always here and i don't need to chop it....

03/04/2012 at 15:25
I made one 2 weeks ago Phil - a vegetarian one.  It was a major faff and reminded me why I never make them.  Extra annoyingly a friend asked me to bring it to a dinner party because I was the only non-meat eater and they didn't want to cook for me.  Next time I'll eat at home and join them for dessert like I usually do.
03/04/2012 at 15:30

I make pasta - it's fun!  It's not difficult, Seren.

I use a pasta machine, which makes the rolling out easy.  You can even make the dough in a bread machine if you have one.

My lasagne recipe has little meat, an onion, a carrot, white wine (cooked down) and passata.

You layer the meat sauce with pasta, bechamel sauce, and grated parmesan (quite a lot of parmesan), finishing with bechamel and cheese for that topping .

Traditionally, pasta dishes don't have the lashings of sauce that we tend to put on them, so lasagne should have a lot of pasta to sauce.

seren nos    pirate
03/04/2012 at 15:33
as i don't eat pasta wilkie i am not excited by the opportunity to make it myself ......if my son want to learn thats his choice ....I try to avoid getting gadgets that are used once or twice and then left on a worktop or cupboard to collect dust....i think most of us have one or two
03/04/2012 at 15:39

I don't have any gadgets that gather dust, the pasta machine gets used regularly, as does the bread machine - I very rarely buy bread.

I don't have a microwave, though, or a toaster!

03/04/2012 at 15:41

Making pasta is easy, As Wilkiie says..... Although for pasta sheets a rolling pin is enough.

a couple of rashers of smoked bacon as well as red wine, passata carrot and onion in mine...

Delia does a wonderful 4 cheese lasagne, With roquefort, gorgonzola, mozzerella, parmiesan with spinach and pine nutsin the white sauce

03/04/2012 at 15:57
I think I might make a lasagne this week. All this talk of them is making me want one!
*goes to google Delia's recipe*
seren nos    pirate
03/04/2012 at 16:02
It is now in the oven.......

but i know what my eldest will say.......he will eat it all but it won't be as nice as Marions.......he was in residential school for over 5 years....and in his house he had a brilliant cook.......so if i try any dish that she used to make..i always come second.......

but as long as they all enjoy it i don't mind......
03/04/2012 at 16:58
Thanks Phil ! <makes notes>
03/04/2012 at 17:30
If you put too many sheets in the water at one time they'll stick and you're f*cked...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.