Let me tell you a story

A potted history of the URWFRC

17 messages
Trogs    pirate
14/12/2002 at 18:54
Prompted by a comment in another thread about who we are ...

Around this time last year activity on the old RW FLM forum started to pick up as people started sharing training fears/woes etc. By the time April arrived we were a tightly bonded group united by a common aim. A few forumites had met at various warm up races and after lengthy discussions and many strange suggestions (eg pink bathcaps) as to how we could recognise each other, it was agreed that we would wear our forum names on our kit so if we did see each other we'd be able to identify ourselves. So we did and more of us met before, during (albeit briefly) and after the race.

So after the euphoria that is the FLM had died down someone (Snickers) suggested we should try a sort of e-mail newsletter to keep in touch and set up meeting places at races and thus let herself in for all sorts of hassle setting it up. At the same time two significant events were occurring.

1. Swiss Bobby took it upon himself to set up the Unofficial RW Forum Running Club website, www.urwfrc.org (three cheers for SB) and the virtual club for real runners was formed.
2. RW were busy reconfiguring their forums and were persuaded to include a dedicated forum for the lunatics that are URWFRC.

Since then the virtual club has gone from strength to strength, we have our own kit and some of us have met some of the rest of us at various races and socials. We even made the front page of this site following the Windsor Half Marathon where we turned out in strength and got a mention in the magazine a few months ago.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
Trogs    pirate
14/12/2002 at 19:26
I should of course have included three cheers for JasonL, the Lamb and DW for the kit.
14/12/2002 at 20:23
Its brilliant isnt it
Hat off to all organisers
14/12/2002 at 21:04
Three cheers to all for their efforts to date.

And by the way, has everyone updated their details, races, results etc on the URWFRC site recently???

Regards, NN
14/12/2002 at 21:05
not for 3 weeks, erm too embarrassed re last race
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/12/2002 at 21:41
I have now!!
Not that they are much to talk about!!

BTW I have to agree that the URWFRC is brilliant! I would never have the time or nerve to join a club but the support (as seen at Brighton) from you guys is just brilliant!
and I am very proud of the wonderful top DW has supplied!
14/12/2002 at 22:26
Joined recently went to my first club meeting on 13th...

Looking forward to meeting the others in real life some time!

Great idea though and waiting for my kit.

Thanks to all the organisors
14/12/2002 at 22:28
Hi Ashley
15/12/2002 at 21:59
wearing the vest with pride.great idea and brilliant execution.onwards and upwards...thanks to the originators...
BK
15/12/2002 at 22:01
Nice one Murf. Needed saying
Trogs    pirate
15/12/2002 at 23:52
And if you're at all curious to know if the thread then were as strange then as they are now or maybe just remember old times, try - the old FLM forum
16/12/2002 at 09:08
- when a long thread had nearly 40 replies!

My how we've grown (but, happily, not grown up)
16/12/2002 at 13:43
Can we transfer this thread to the 'General' bit to let the non-members see what we're all about???
Well done all the organisers. You are doing a great job.
Trogs    pirate
16/12/2002 at 17:37
I could certainly put the original post on the General forum - might edit it a bit first.
16/12/2002 at 17:41
It would be a good idea Murf.. cos they think we are weird. US?!
Trogs    pirate
16/12/2002 at 17:57
Dunno why they might think that. Might have to put in a health warning about the Darkside though just in case!
16/12/2002 at 21:04
Definitely warn about the dark side... :-)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.