Let's moan about the AAA

21 to 40 of 45 messages
18/09/2006 at 19:09
If there arent any mile markers, hipps, all the more reason to put "Eye of the Tiger" away and concentrate on where you're going. :-))
18/09/2006 at 19:10
oh, i dont wear an ipod, i wouldnt dare(i like to hear the cars coming)

but i do wear a garmin
18/09/2006 at 19:11
its quite nice to have a record of the old splits after the race too
18/09/2006 at 19:21
I wear a garmin for all my runs and races, no-one has called me a half-wit before and its not a nice thing to do. Garmins do not make you run any faster or slower they are just a tool that records your pace and time, they are not 100 percent accurate either but for mile/km splits they tend to be way more accurate than some of the markers in races.

18/09/2006 at 19:23
Also I do run in races that have no mile/km markers.
18/09/2006 at 19:34
Same here, wear a garmin that is and I've not been called half-wit either, I like to log my miles and routes. Do wear an mp3 occasionally for longer runs but not in races, I like the atmosphere.
18/09/2006 at 19:41
any idea who took the medals in the mens senior race?
18/09/2006 at 20:45
sprinting toffee, I get the point about the AAA road races, but No Toes said "Ipods - no part in any race under any circumstances" which I took to be making a wider point about all races...and which I felt to be a little harsh.
19/09/2006 at 07:39
Happycat/Cinders. It is possible that you have been called half-wits before.

You just wont have heard it.

:-)))
19/09/2006 at 08:50
Yum don't have an Ipod or any such music devise, hate the loud music in gyms so please get your facts right before making any comments about me or Cinders.

But then again if you think that Garmins and Ipods perform the same function then I know you have no idea what you are talking about.

and I find any jokes about hearing or lack of it to be in extremely bad taste as both my parents were profoundly deaf and I have heard much worse.
19/09/2006 at 09:16
The reason that I stated that MP3's/IPods should not be used in any races is that it then makes it black and white so everyone knows what are the ground rules. I do take the point that on long runs it does get a bit lonely and that for some people they do get used to them.

Is it not unlike stabilisers on a bicycle when you learn to ride? At some point you have to take them off and do it on your own?

I ran a 5K recently and there were people wearing IPods. I mean, come on.
cougie    pirate
19/09/2006 at 10:32
The Ipod nano now has a speed and distance function. Press a button and it will tell you your pace and time.

I cant get my head round people who say that they can't run without their music. Presumably if a lion was on the loose, unless they had dire straits and their ipod - they'd just lay down and be chomped ?
19/09/2006 at 10:40
I do see your point No Toes. On the other hand I've had the experience of running without my iPod and feeling absolutely miserable at the back of the field on my own, with no one to talk to, the drinks stations packing up as I passed, fighting the gremlins who tell me just to quit. If my iPod distracts me from the gremlins and helps me to achieve something, I'll go with it.

Perhaps it's the difference between a serious club runner like yourself and an old plodder like me who only races against herself, being unlikely to beat anyone else. I am never going to run fast enough to take the stabilisers off!

I do think it's a bit ludicrous to wear an iPod for a 5k, though - even I'm not slow enough for that!
19/09/2006 at 10:44
thats out of order someone who hasnt even bothered to take part saying that to you slo sho, infact it just underlines their own lack of determination. when you say "unlikely to beat anyone else" your wrong, your beating people like that by carrying on, plus everyone else that hasnt took part!
19/09/2006 at 10:47
I like that thought sprinting toffee - thanks!
19/09/2006 at 11:14
slo sho, you go right ahead doing what you want to do. It's a shame some people have to insult you and others like you for doing something that harms no one.

I have only recently taken to wearing an iPod on my long, slow, solitary runs* - but I don't listen to music, I listen to books. It enhances my enjoyment of the time I've chosen to spend alone, in surroundings of my choice, doing what I want to do.

Should I ever find myself in the odd position of having entered a marathon, I too will be waaaaaaay at the back, on my own, and if it's not against the rules, I shall take out my iPod and flippin' well listen to it.

*that would be all my runs, then.
19/09/2006 at 11:14
slo slo, I am 53 (old, well oldish)not a member of a club, I run on my own (I am a miserable, grumpy bastard!)and as for Gremlins, I spit on them!

I understand you totally however, and can only re-iterate what ST has said.
19/09/2006 at 11:15
and JJ
19/09/2006 at 11:36
Had to take avoiding action in the Bristol Half on Sunday when a woman in front of me stopped to look at her iplod
19/09/2006 at 12:58
Thanks, Jj and No Toes. Much appreciated.

Musketeer, I can see how annoying that would be. On the other hand I spent a lot of the GNR trying not to crash into people who abruptly started walking right in front of me, without looking round, and they weren't even wearing iPods to distract them.
21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.