life insurance

totally confused

21 to 28 of 28 messages
04/04/2013 at 16:09

Pudge.

I stand corrected re self regulation but there are cases that have gone to the ombudsmen or courts where the companies have lost and had to pay out. The usual thing is non disclosure of previous medical conditions. The companies then try not to pay out because of that. When the insurance companies lose the case it tends to be because the non disclosure was deemed not relevant to the claim and also very probably a minor oversight by the client.

Problem is these things seem rightly or wrongly a bit of a nightmare.

I'm very lucky in that I have very good sickness provision from my employers so am (touch wood) unlikely to need the critical illness cover

04/04/2013 at 17:09

Despite people's fear of being ripped off by some fly by night conman, I do think it's important to ensure that you are covered in the event of a life changing illness or injury. I suspect for runners it's tempting to be quite smug that you are in reasonably health, but finding a lump or getting side swiped by a truck will knock the complacency out of anyone. If you don't want to be left disabled AND homeless it's worth having cover in place.

Happy thursday afternoon eh guys :-\

04/04/2013 at 18:44

Life insurance is relatively cheap. If you are around 30 years of age you can insure your life for £100,000 over 10 years for less than £10/ month.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/04/2013 at 18:56

agent ginger.....No point for me as I don't work.

i am paying 3.19 a month for some life insurance with someone.can't rememeber what amount it is for.......

all i know is that it covered me for death unless i die of an aids related illness.......I took it out in the 80's I believe after tyhe aids hit and they didn't know how big it was going to be......

04/04/2013 at 19:37
seren nos wrote (see)

agent ginger.....No point for me as I don't work.

i am paying 3.19 a month for some life insurance with someone.can't rememeber what amount it is for.......

all i know is that it covered me for death unless i die of an aids related illness.......I took it out in the 80's I believe after tyhe aids hit and they didn't know how big it was going to be......

The rates were higher back then on account of the AIDS prediction that never happened.

Life insurance compared to then is now relatively cheaper.

04/04/2013 at 19:41

i think thats why mine was lower as I opted out of aids.

don't really need life insurance now as my kids are nealy all grown up and my mortgage is only about £1000 

04/04/2013 at 20:20

The problem of financial products is that they are essentially items of concept. There's nothing that you can physically hold, which can give the impression of money wasted.

Added to the fact that the process of investigating the products brings people face to face with realities including their own mortality, its hardly surprising they would rather do something else.

A curious quirk that plenty of people employ is the idea that buying life insurance is somehow risking sudden death or how taking out a pension makes you get old before your time. 

Unfortunately there's no escapism to be offered here, just cold reality. 

04/04/2013 at 20:21

My hubby is welkl covered though as i don't want to be a poor widow....

Ric.that sounds a bit like those who won't write a will ....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.