Lifes great mysteries #387 ...... aluminium foil ....

1 to 20 of 21 messages
27/02/2013 at 09:13

ive asked my twitter followers. will get back to you.

27/02/2013 at 09:13

No, it's shiny side up and facing outwards when you wear the hat.

27/02/2013 at 09:15

no response. foiled again.

27/02/2013 at 09:16

oo oo. allegedly it doesn't matter. apparently one side gets polished as it comes off the rollers during manufacturing.

27/02/2013 at 09:21

somebody else says the shiny should be on the outside to keep the heat in. like for runners.

27/02/2013 at 09:21
I would have thought that the shiny side will reflect more heat at the bottom of the grill pan/barbecue etc. than the dull side. In the grand scheme of life I doubt if it makes a great deal of difference.
27/02/2013 at 09:27
If using in cooking shiny side to food. Shiny side reflects so you want it reflecting heat back into the food not away from it. Cooks much better.
For your hat shiny side out as its better at reflecting the mind control rays - I like to use a double layer with a shiny side in as well - helps prevent mind reading........
27/02/2013 at 09:54

Funny, I was wondering this only a few minutes ago as I put some chicken in the oven - I went for shiny side up, no particular reason. The packaging doesn't say either way but apparently our "One" kitchen foil donates 100% of profits to fund smokeless stoves in Africa. But what if they want to do kippers??

27/02/2013 at 10:05

Simple, if it was shiny both sides, or Matt both sides, the sides would stick together on the roll and you would never unroll it, as it is Matt cant stick to shiny.

27/02/2013 at 10:23

For those with no idea...  metal sheet is rolled between big shiny rolls, like being squeezed through a mangle.

This is standard practice for rolling of all sorts of metal sheets, but when it gets ultra thin, it creates problems, because the gap between the rolls is so small, and the loads get high, which flexes the big rolls.   In Aluminium foil, this problem is overcome by doubling it up....  having 2 separates sheets going through the roll gap at the same time, so the rolls feel like they are rolling aluminium that is twice as thick.  Both are squeezed thinner.  They put a liquid between them to make sure they don't fuse together.... so that when they come out of the other side of the mangle, they easily separate, and you have 2 thin sheets of foil.  The side which were squashed against the other aluminium foil come out a bit matt... and the sides that were directly in contact with the shiny roll come out shiny.

27/02/2013 at 10:27
Run Wales wrote (see)

For those with no idea...  metal sheet is rolled between big shiny rolls, like being squeezed through a mangle.

This is standard practice for rolling of all sorts of metal sheets, but when it gets ultra thin, it creates problems, because the gap between the rolls is so small, and the loads get high, which flexes the big rolls.   In Aluminium foil, this problem is overcome by doubling it up....  having 2 separates sheets going through the roll gap at the same time, so the rolls feel like they are rolling aluminium that is twice as thick.  Both are squeezed thinner.  They put a liquid between them to make sure they don't fuse together.... so that when they come out of the other side of the mangle, they easily separate, and you have 2 thin sheets of foil.  The side which were squashed against the other aluminium foil come out a bit matt... and the sides that were directly in contact with the shiny roll come out shiny.

Correct.

27/02/2013 at 14:09
I am sorry to admit I found this genuinely interesting.

But why is Peter Everitt putting chicken in the oven at 9 in the morning?
27/02/2013 at 14:21
Maybe he's wants to cook it to eat.
WiB
28/02/2013 at 11:03

Is it wrong to eat chicken in the morning? If not then it makes perfect sense to cook it first and an oven is a great tool for doing just that.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 11:03
WiB
WiB
28/02/2013 at 11:09

I would definitely eat chicken in the morning but bacon and eggs is much faster.

I can't believe some fools eat cereal!

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 11:10
WiB
WiB
28/02/2013 at 11:13

Why not?

WiB
28/02/2013 at 11:14
Stilts wrote (see)
I am sorry to admit I found this genuinely interesting.

But why is Peter Everitt putting chicken in the oven at 9 in the morning?

It was for my lunch - chicken salad, and very nice it was too! (It was only a piece of breast, not a whole chicken).

I also had work to go to - but yesterday was a late shift.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 11:17
28/02/2013 at 11:18

Well I was thinking of just sitting on it for an hour but wasn't convince it would cook in time!

28/02/2013 at 11:23

But then the energy companies wouldn't make such a big profit!

Tommygun2    pirate
28/02/2013 at 11:37

I dunno, I leave the virtual world of the interweb for three days and miss some interesting and entertaining threads. Next time I have anytime off can you refrain from posting Mr Falconer. I just feel so left out

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d7P9uEQ1K-g/T5GbGYQ11UI/AAAAAAAACOs/LwGFaSHabmE/s1600/tin-foil-hat.jpg

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.